U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:25 PM

236 posts, read 1,061,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
For someone who is a liberal it would be.
Yes, obviously. I guess I'm partial to San Diego then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 PM

38 posts, read 137,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
For someone who is a liberal it would be. That is actually one of the reasons why I prefer L.A. over San Diego. Not to say that San Diego doesn't have liberal areas and people, but overall compared to L.A., San Diego is generally conservative and has the small town mentality, and carries more of the church, family, traditional, etc. values. L.A. seems more of a place where you're free to live your own lifestyle and everyone will let you be. San Diego people tend to be more preachy and judgemental, and being from Georgia (the bible belt), it's like I never left home.

I first came out to San Diego in '97 to try to live, but within the 1st month I was already unimpressed with San Diego. The only reason why I came to San Diego is because I had some friends of the family that lived here. Otherwise I would have went to L.A. I thought that San Diego is boring and generic, while L.A. has more fun, excitement, energy. San Diego has grown a lot in the last 10 years, but it's still no L.A. Other than the traffic getting worse (the only thing that made it become more like L.A., something negative), it's still the slow, boring city where people still want to act like it's a small town, making it difficult for a place with 1.2 million people. The reason why it's difficult is because with everyone moving slow, it causes holdups for everybody. L.A. has been made to accomodate it's millions of residents for at least 40 years. They have plenty of shops, restraunts, services, etc. San Diego still has fewer and further in betweens of a lot of things, so a lot of places are packed with people (in long lines that move very slow as mentioned earlier).
Some of those values are what made America what it is today.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 PM

31,426 posts, read 17,565,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9126ebk View Post
There are a few of things i like about is SD vs LA.....#1 Hands down SD has the best deep sea fishing in so.cal..... #2 its cleaner then L.A. #3 there are less Latinos in SD then LA (no offense intended).
Isn't that interesting, considering that San Diego is a stone's throw away from Mexico?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 AM

430 posts, read 1,498,987 times
San diego is better imo for a person looking for a calm life style, with nice scenary, things to do , places to see, cleaner, more residential, and less crime and to raise a family. Los Angeles is more film/entertainment industry, it's over commercialized, cosmopolitan, over crowded, bad air, bad traffic, more of a place to vacation to every now and than, but not a place to live, also people are much more rude in Los Angeles since it's a larger city, has more of a big city attitude, people their are more shallow,fake, and unfriendly. Also another thing i don't like is too many Hippie liberals in LA, more homeless, more poor, more problems! People I find in SD to be more friendly, down to earth, more laid back, and not out to "prove" something to somebody. Los Angeles also full of wannabes, too many trying to a singer/actor blah blah blah.. I like Santa monica, but even that after a few visits is enough, San Diego might not have all the excitement of the big city, but has plenty to do, and not too bad of a drive to Tijuana, LV, LA etc..

Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 PM

8,034 posts, read 20,139,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
more liberals, more diversity
Why do people on these forums automatically think these two things make a city better? So I guess a city with conservatives and a city that is less diverse is a bad place to live. Shouldn't paint with a broad brush nor should you judge a book by it's cover.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,680,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Why do people on these forums automatically think these two things make a city better? So I guess a city with conservatives and a city that is less diverse is a bad place to live. Shouldn't paint with a broad brush nor should you judge a book by it's cover.

It's because the political & cultural sensibilities of most big cities lean liberal (NYC, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, etc). That doesn't mean there aren't conservatives in the mix.

Los Angeles had a Republican Mayor as recently as the 1990's (Richard Riordan) but he wouldn't last a second in a Republican primary at the NATIONAL level. He was even too liberal for the California GOP (he failed miserably trying to get the GOP nomination for Gov of Calif).

Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,680,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Los Angeles is more film/entertainment industry, it's over commercialized, cosmopolitan, over crowded, bad air, bad traffic, more of a place to vacation to every now and than, but not a place to live, also people are much more rude in Los Angeles since it's a larger city, has more of a big city attitude, people their are more shallow,fake, and unfriendly. Also another thing i don't like is too many Hippie liberals in LA, more homeless, more poor, more problems! ..
Hard to take your post seriously since you LIE about your past in MULTIPLE threads.

In one thread you claim to have a wife and kid, in another you claim to be young, single, in other threads you say you've LIVED in So.Calif., in other threads you say you've only visited.

I doubt you've ever been anywhere near California.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,358,530 times
The only thing I miss about Diego is Veg N' Out on 30th street and my mates but most of them all left anyway.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,175,373 times
I lived in both cities (Los Angeles as a kid; I've been there many times since) and honestly Los Angeles just feels to me like San Diego on steroids. The layout of the cities are more or less the same, you get these patchwork of neighborhoods but Los Angeles does everything bigger and better. The downsides are dealing with all the people (namely traffic) which until you figure out the side streets and the freeways to take you'll be constantly cursing the city. The parking is a nightmare, there is more pollution, more crime, but at the same time more to do, more diversity, more opportunity and more glamor. At this age I'd prefer San Diego just because I'm done with the rat race, the singles scene, the partying, and I just want a nice quiet life with an ocean view. For a teen or 20-something out in the world trying to meet new people and make it big I definitely see how Los Angeles would win over San Diego.

Funny, from when I lived in the region, I noticed that people from San Diego were almost quick to state just how much they hate Los Angeles whereas people from LA took almost no opinion on San Diego, or if they did, a condescending one ('it's this cute little town right before Mexico').

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,441,599 times
When I was at SD, I found it quite boring..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles