U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 AM

1,924 posts, read 1,391,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
Hey Losfrisco: Welcome to LA, assuming you just moved up from San Diego?

I don't agree with everything you've stated but I do think you have good points. One HUGE plus to San Diego in my book you did not mention: Balboa Park. One of the best urban parks in the USA! LA has Griffith Park which is great for hikes/views but I love Balboa Park since it is so close to downtown and so accessible.

I don't agree about the NFL. I could really care less. I don't measure a city by its sports teams. Not sure which teams are located in Paris, France but it's a pretty nice city. But to each their own.

Let's hear the story about the metro? Which station/line were you on? Sorry to hear about that...

San Dieogo has some great beaches and I do think Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Coronado are real nice and clean. Cleaner than LA beaches (more people, etc).

That said, as communities with character I think Santa Moncia, Redondo, Hermosa and Venice beat most of San Diego's beach communities. And I think Redondo and Hermosa Beaches are pretty clean as well.

La Jolla vs. Malibu...I'll take La Jolla but it's more or less a draw.

Not knocking San Diego...as I happen to like it.
Sorry If my post was confusing, I moved to San Diego, not Los Angeles. The metro incident was after a Wild Flag concert at the El Rey, at the Wilshire/La Brea bus stop. I walked back to Hollywood rather than take the bus that night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 PM

18,552 posts, read 22,367,957 times
IMO, aside from their Airport, the biggest and only plus to San Diego, is quick access to Tijuana. Over the last 16 years, 75 trips to San Diego from Las Vegas, and I can't get out of that cradle of sterility fast enough, long live the San Ysidro/Tijuana Trolley line!!!

Not even a Chinatown in San Diego, which says something! Even the Chinese are reluctant to move there!

A good friend of mine refers to San Diego as: Des Moines, Iowa by the Sea!

Old 12-23-2015, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 8,875 times
LA = no military
SD = infested with Redneck military who do not want to go back to their trailer parks.

I am a reject who went to UCSD. SD is honestly like living in the SF Valley, so a good SD restaurant/club in SD would be at the level of a Ventura Blvd place.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:41 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,310,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
LA = no military
SD = infested with Redneck military who do not want to go back to their trailer parks.

I am a reject who went to UCSD. SD is honestly like living in the SF Valley, so a good SD restaurant/club in SD would be at the level of a Ventura Blvd place.
Really you sure? Didn't really notice that.. And SD ain't like the valley.

Last edited by owl6969; 12-23-2015 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-23-2015, 04:18 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,337,195 times
Los Angeles is a World class city with diverse communities, religions, cultures, and beliefs. Some may knock it for not being as urban as San Francisco or New York, but it's got a lot to offer despite the car culture and traffic. I enjoy my time there. San Diego is smaller than Los Angeles. The two aren't really alike except that they are both close to each other and in Southern California. San Diego gets praise for its beaches and beautiful weather, but there are down sides. It's very expensive and the job market is severely lacking. There are more retail and minimum wage/low paying jobs than high paying jobs so it gets difficult to find anything affordable without moving to the hot inland Christian Conservative parts of the county. The military does indeed have a large influence in San Diego County. The local television and radio stations constantly worship the military. Many local businesses want everyone to "support our troops". We have elected politicians like Duncan Hunter Jr that were in the military themselves who go on the news and say stupid things about bombing other countries and anti-Muslim/immigrant/gay rhetoric. They continue being elected despite this clearly ignorant thinking. This backwards thinking comes from a lot of the military and other transplants who have moved here from the South and Midwest. The universities like SDSU and UCSD are very liberal places. The inner city areas like downtown, Hillcrest, North Park, and City Heights as well as the South Bay cities of Chula Vista and National City are also liberal spots. These pockets of San Diego have turned the county blue the last two presidential elections. Despite this there is a conservative feeling in the area and even the mayor is a Republican. In a lot of ways San Diego is overrated and this is coming from a native of the area.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Status: "Corona Virus is here. God be with you" (set 4 days ago)

3,783 posts, read 2,855,882 times
SD is one of the most over-rated cities on earth. It's pretty boring. You can only go to the botanic garden, sea world, the zoo and the Gaslamp so many times. It's the type of city/metro that you can figure out in a few weeks. You could live in LA your whole life and still not understand it.

Nightlife in SD sucks. It's pretty much geared towards bros, rowdy people in the military, and tourists from the midwest.

SD is in no way a mini LA. Houston is more close to a mini LA (culturally speaking) than SD ever will be.

SD is basically like Orange County meeting Sacramento County, IMO. La Jolla, PB, and Carlsbad feel like OC. But Vista, Poway, El Canjon, and Santee are culturally indistinguishable from places in Sacto.

The only outliers are O'side, Downtown SD, and such. They are kind of on their own tip.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:43 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,019,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter14 View Post
Is this a serious question? LA is complete garbage filled with illegals (1 out of every 10 people are illegal) homeless bums, gangbangers and some of the worst traffic and air quality known to man. San Diego features some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, the best weather in the country, great downtown, world class resorts and many things to do. Its not even close.
Very perceptive! +5

Old 12-24-2015, 12:28 AM

1,826 posts, read 1,310,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Los Angeles is a World class city with diverse communities, religions, cultures, and beliefs. Some may knock it for not being as urban as San Francisco or New York
Wrong.

.. Don't even mention such a city with the likes of nyc.

Last edited by owl6969; 12-24-2015 at 01:06 AM..

Old 12-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Status: "Corona Virus is here. God be with you" (set 4 days ago)

3,783 posts, read 2,855,882 times
Agreed with many others. SD is filled with pickup truck driving rednecks. Often state side military who never see any action over seas. Their police force is filled with unstable ex military who have serious issues with PTSD.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:48 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,707,294 times
I'm not sure where you guys are hanging out. I go down to SD all the time. One of my best friends lives there. You're way over-exaggerating everything. Eastern and Northern SD County have a lot of these types you're mentioning. But the city itself doesn't. DT, Little Italy, Hillcrest, North Park, OB, PB, MB, LJ, Del Mar, Encinitas, Coronado, Chula Vista, Mira Mesa, Rancho Santa Fe, Carmel Valley, Mission Valley, and others. There are plenty of areas in SD that do not have the types you're all discussing. SD is smaller than LA so it's easier to find this type. You act like LA doesn't have any of these types. The IE, parts of OC, the South Bay, the desert cities, etc. all have those types.

While SD does have a lot of ex military that have settled in SD, the ones that do are not the military stereotype. I know tons of people in the military, including quite a few who live/lived in SD. Yes, they joined the military. But no, they're not in love with Trump and they don't beat up gays. I myself am a gay man, and I have never had a problem with these ex military men in SD. Many of them are gay themselves. And the straight ones stayed in SD because they enjoy all that CA has to offer, including the liberalness of the state. There are homophobes, yes, but not like you're making the city out to be. Even many of the people I know there that vote Republican have no problem with gays or minorities whatsoever, but they vote Republican for economic issues because they're very wealthy.

SD also has a large Mexican population also. But in my time spent there, I've noticed it is a lot more of the college graduates, businessmen and businesswomen, etc. that have moved up from TJ or Baja. They're often perfectly bilingual and many work in international trade or just in some type of international setting since SD is a border city.

While SD is a smaller and beachier city, it's not some small beach village full of beach shacks and beach bums with no jobs. It's a large biotech hub and has a large number of other white collar jobs thanks to its location on the Mexican border, on the Pacific Rim, and the large concentration of military personnel.

Their downtown is booming. The beaches are much more beautiful than ours. The city is cleaner. The people are friendlier. It's relatively cheaper. No, there isn't as much to do. But Greater LA is also much larger. The SD-TJ metro area has around 5 million people. Greater LA has 18.5 million. Obviously LA will have more to do because it is also over 3 times larger than SD. If we only include the US side, SD has around 3 million people, making Greater LA over 5 times larger than SD. It's almost impossible for a city with 5 times as many people to not have way more to do.

SD also has a lot of bars and restaurants with huge outdoor patios and rooftop seating. I'd say proportionally, SD has a lot more of these type of establishments than LA. Personally, I love that vibe!

SD is a smaller city than LA. It's not as diverse. It's a slower pace of life. But I don't understand why so many people basically make it sound like it's no better than Albuquerque or Lubbock or some place like that. It's still one of the most amazing cities in the country with more going on than most cities could wish for. Just because you don't personally enjoy the type of nightlife SD offers, clearly millions of people do. Personally, I love the nightlife there and have only been out in Gaslamp once. The nightlife in PB, Hillcrest, North Park, Little Italy, etc. is a lot of fun depending on what you look for. Although I'm gay, I very rarely go to gay bars unless I'm dragged by straight friends. I always have a lot of fun at the bars and clubs there full of the military and bro types everyone is putting down here. I actually find them to be a lot of fun. They're loud and fun and I'd rather have them being bros around me than be surrounded by pretentious coke addicts showing off their designer clothing that they either bought on credit that they don't have, that their parents pay for, or that they're wearing for one night and returning to Nordstrom after they wake up the next day (I'm looking at SF and LA for this).

In conclusion, stop over-exaggerating the SD stereotypes. It has changed a lot. It's no longer some brofest full of ex military douches that beat up gays. It's developing into a world-class city. It will never be LA no matter how hard it tries, but SD doesn't want to be LA or the people there would just move to LA. And there aren't many places on earth that have the diversity and culture of LA so it's unfair to compare the two. For a metro of its size, I think it offers way more than most. Atlanta, Phoenix, the IE, and Minneapolis are all bigger. I'm sure SD is more interesting than any of those, with Minneapolis having the best fight. Tampa is just one ranking below SD and is basically a cultural wasteland compared to SD and Charlotte, NC is not too far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles