U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 05:00 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,393,441 times

Advertisements

I think that the main knock against San Diego is that it feels more like Orange County than LA. The downtown area is definitely pretty quiet compared to the west side of LA and seemed to lack restaurants when I was there. The north county/Carlsbad area is very suburban feeling with lots of office parks and shopping malls. It's a beautiful area with nice weather but it seems better suited to those that like beach lifestyle and/or people who have settled down and don't like to go out on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 05:23 PM

7,854 posts, read 14,714,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I think that the main knock against San Diego is that it feels more like Orange County than LA. The downtown area is definitely pretty quiet compared to the west side of LA and seemed to lack restaurants when I was there. The north county/Carlsbad area is very suburban feeling with lots of office parks and shopping malls. It's a beautiful area with nice weather but it seems better suited to those that like beach lifestyle and/or people who have settled down and don't like to go out on the weekends.
North County is basically the equivalent to Ventura County for us, just more Republican because of the military influence. Remember, everything SD has is on a smaller scale.

It's definitely a city for people who love the beach and being outdoors. But the people looking to go out and party and live a city lifestyle congregate in downtown, Little Italy, Hillcrest, North Park, etc. Not sure where you went in downtown, but if you were hanging out in the financial district, that can be said of any downtown including SF, LA, NYC, Chicago, and all others. Financial districts close down after 6pm basically and generally lack true restaurants as they cater more to the office lunch crowd. But Gaslamp and the area around Petco Park have a lot of restaurants and bars. Little Italy and Hillcrest have a lot going on and tons of great restaurants and bars. Obviously it's on the scale of LA with the entire stretch from SaMo to DTLA being urban and built up and full of restaurants, but for its size there is still plenty to do.

I'll admit it's one of my favorite cities in the country, but I could never live there because I'm a big city person. I like public transit and walkability and want to live in a city that does not require a car. That leaves me very few options in this country. But it does have a lot going on in a smaller, prettier, nicer, more laid back package than LA. It's not as boring and suburban and sterile as OC (nor as Republican). While it's laid back, it's not sleepy. It's just that--more relaxed than LA. Whether that's good or bad is personal preference.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:35 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,026,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'll admit it's one of my favorite cities in the country, but I could never live there because I'm a big city person. I like public transit and walkability and want to live in a city that does not require a car. That leaves me very few options in this country. But it does have a lot going on in a smaller, prettier, nicer, more laid back package than LA. It's not as boring and suburban and sterile as OC (nor as Republican). While it's laid back, it's not sleepy. It's just that--more relaxed than LA. Whether that's good or bad is personal preference.
I agree with this. San Diego is definitely an interesting city that can stand on its own. Some of the comments about SD on here in comparison to LA are ridiculous. It's the same thing as talking about many out of the outdated perceptions about LA that people like to spout.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:34 PM

26 posts, read 20,946 times
Wow, it seems like a lot of anti-military folks on this board.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:57 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,108,999 times
I like both cities,and i'm glad their different from eachother....Just makes it more interesting to me

Old 12-25-2015, 06:59 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,337,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsalosingbattle View Post
Wow, it seems like a lot of anti-military folks on this board.
Yeah, I'm anti-military. Not just the US military either. I'm against killing people and developing a highly funded infrastructure whose sole purpose is to kill. It is a waste of money and a waste of human innovation. If we spent half of what we spend on the military developing infrastructure and funding programs that benefit society the need for a military would drastically decrease. It is an ugly world and littering it with corpses is hardly making it a prettier place.
It's also the nationalistic culture of veteran worship that is perpetuated by politicians and the media. If you don't blindly support our troops and what they do, you're against them, and your country. Also how our representatives use our military might throughout the world. NOT against the individuals themselves.

Most know the military is important for defending us, but that doesn't mean we blindly support every thing the military gets ordered to do. America has been on the wrong side of history a lot lately and has used its military might to get there quite often.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 12-25-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Status: "Corona Virus is here. God be with you" (set 7 days ago)

3,785 posts, read 2,859,774 times
Notice how the SD boosters are the same people always trying to bag on LA.

How many times is Jessemh gonna tell us he is gay? (Wtf does that have to do with anything).

We get it. PB, Hillcrest, Little Italy (YAWN).

SD turning into a World Class city? LOL, now that is rich. Yea SD is so world class, what with their one runway World War Two era airport, and News channels that act like cowtowners.

Nevermind losing their football team to LA, and comic con likely going to Anaheim. Yea pretty much all there is to do is lounge on the beach. But even the LA/OC beach towns are better and more dynamic.

That's really the only card SD can play. The beach. Hence why it is called {insert midwest city here} by the Sea.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Notice how the SD boosters are the same people always trying to bag on LA.

How many times is Jessemh gonna tell us he is gay? (Wtf does that have to do with anything).

We get it. PB, Hillcrest, Little Italy (YAWN).

SD turning into a World Class city? LOL, now that is rich. Yea SD is so world class, what with their one runway World War Two era airport, and News channels that act like cowtowners.

Nevermind losing their football team to LA, and comic con likely going to Anaheim. Yea pretty much all there is to do is lounge on the beach. But even the LA/OC beach towns are better and more dynamic.

That's really the only card SD can play. The beach. Hence why it is called {insert midwest city here} by the Sea.
I mention being gay here because all of you are saying how Republican and bro-ish and conservative and military-centric SD is. That involves the hyper-masculinity stereotype and homophobia often. So I find it quite relevant to note that I have never once had a problem there, so I don't believe your stereotypes of SD hold true any longer.

Nobody is saying SD is as cultured and vibrant as LA or NYC. But for what it is, there are so many posters on here making it seem like sterile suburban cultural wasteland that might as well be some small town in the Midwest. That's simply not true.

Having a small airport has been an issue for SD for a long time, one that many have discussed how to solve. But you know what? LAX is tiny and poorly designed for the size of LA also.

The Chargers are not confirmed to be moving to LA yet. If you think all there is to do is lounge on the beach, you must find pretty much every city in America to have literally nothing to do. I see you're in San Jose. SJ has to be the most boring large city in the entire country. Besides Santana Row, it's a suburb of over 1 million of SF, and a bedroom community for the tech geeks in Silicon Valley.

Not sure how you think LA/OC beach towns are better. That's personal opinion though. Personally, I enjoy the relatively warmer waters in SD. The water is bluer. Parking at the beaches isn't as horrendous as parking in LA's beaches. And while some of the OC beaches are beautiful, talk about a lack of city! There is no true "city" in the entire OC.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Status: "Corona Virus is here. God be with you" (set 7 days ago)

3,785 posts, read 2,859,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I mention being gay here because all of you are saying how Republican and bro-ish and conservative and military-centric SD is. That involves the hyper-masculinity stereotype and homophobia often. So I find it quite relevant to note that I have never once had a problem there, so I don't believe your stereotypes of SD hold true any longer.

Nobody is saying SD is as cultured and vibrant as LA or NYC. But for what it is, there are so many posters on here making it seem like sterile suburban cultural wasteland that might as well be some small town in the Midwest. That's simply not true.

Having a small airport has been an issue for SD for a long time, one that many have discussed how to solve. But you know what? LAX is tiny and poorly designed for the size of LA also.

The Chargers are not confirmed to be moving to LA yet. If you think all there is to do is lounge on the beach, you must find pretty much every city in America to have literally nothing to do. I see you're in San Jose. SJ has to be the most boring large city in the entire country. Besides Santana Row, it's a suburb of over 1 million of SF, and a bedroom community for the tech geeks in Silicon Valley.

Not sure how you think LA/OC beach towns are better. That's personal opinion though. Personally, I enjoy the relatively warmer waters in SD. The water is bluer. Parking at the beaches isn't as horrendous as parking in LA's beaches. And while some of the OC beaches are beautiful, talk about a lack of city! There is no true "city" in the entire OC.
LoL, judging by your posts you are an uninformed 20something with a beef against LA. I will address your points, though they are beneath me.

- Bro's are not conservative. 9/10 bro's do not vote unless Mom n Dad or a boss drags them.

-SD is not republican, the county is more centrist middle of the road. Politically purple, if you will. The military is really what prevents the county from being another democrat strong hold. I don't care what you think about the stereorypes. Stereotypes exist for a REASON.

-LAX is fine. But the LA metro has half a dozen airports to serve each region. Bob Hope, John Wayne, Ontario, Long Beach, LAX, San Birdoo.

-Not sure what me living in San Jose has to do with anything, it's a better place than where you live.. Though it should be noted that despite being smaller than SD, it still has a better economy, with a larger GDP. Again, a testament to SD's lackluster tourism centric economy.

-Not sure where you get the idea that SD is some sort of city. Public transit is laughable and it is very suburban, even in the central core. And water in SD is only warm in the summer if you swim right at the US mexico border. Otherwise the difference between Malibu and Carlsbad is like a few degrees. Stop trying act like SD is the Florida keyes. LOL

Old 12-26-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LoL, judging by your posts you are an uninformed 20something with a beef against LA. I will address your points, though they are beneath me.

- Bro's are not conservative. 9/10 bro's do not vote unless Mom n Dad or a boss drags them.

-SD is not republican, the county is more centrist middle of the road. Politically purple, if you will. The military is really what prevents the county from being another democrat strong hold. I don't care what you think about the stereorypes. Stereotypes exist for a REASON.

-LAX is fine. But the LA metro has half a dozen airports to serve each region. Bob Hope, John Wayne, Ontario, Long Beach, LAX, San Birdoo.

-Not sure what me living in San Jose has to do with anything, it's a better place than where you live.. Though it should be noted that despite being smaller than SD, it still has a better economy, with a larger GDP. Again, a testament to SD's lackluster tourism centric economy.

-Not sure where you get the idea that SD is some sort of city. Public transit is laughable and it is very suburban, even in the central core. And water in SD is only warm in the summer if you swim right at the US mexico border. Otherwise the difference between Malibu and Carlsbad is like a few degrees. Stop trying act like SD is the Florida keyes. LOL
No beef against LA. But I don't think you know SD very well.

Yeah bros probably don't vote. But the stereotype this thread is throwing around of SD is the giant pickup truck, conservative military bro dbag and that's simply not what SD is.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. SD County is purple. But SD city is blue. North and east county vote red. Not the city.

We do have quite a few more airports in the LA area than in SD, and it's a well known fact that SAN needs to grow somehow. But acting like LAX is just as big as O'Hare or DFW is funny.

I live in Marina del Rey borderline Venice Beach so stop acting like you're better. You living in SJ and putting down SD for being boring is a joke. SJ has to be the most boring large city in America. SJ has Silicon Valley, so of course the economy is going to be larger. But SD is biotech hub and there are plenty of white collar jobs to be found. Tourism is a large part of SD's economy, but it's not the only thing that keeps it running.

Not like public transit in SJ is leaps and bounds ahead of SD. I never said SD is some urban paradise, though. There are just a lot of people on here making it sound like every square inch of SD is no more cultural or urban than Mission Viejo. I've walked between Little Italy, Seaport Village, East Village, Core, and generally the entire central downtown SD. It's very walkable with a pretty vibrant street life. Not stellar, but better than most people make it out to seem.

In no way am I saying SD is perfect. SD is not that urban hence why I don't want to actually live there. It's not THE most liberal city. It's not devoid of military bros. All I'm saying is that the SD of the past is no more. It's urbanizing downtown and in Little Italy. It's attracting a lot more cultural activities. It's become much more liberal over the years. Its economy is not solely reliant on tourism. It's not as fast paced as central parts of LA, but it is more laid back which is good or bad. However, it is faster paced and more cultural than cities of similar size and is not some extension of South OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles