U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2015, 05:28 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 11,022,528 times
Reputation: 6621

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Nobody is saying SD is as cultured and vibrant as LA or NYC. But for what it is, there are so many posters on here making it seem like sterile suburban cultural wasteland that might as well be some small town in the Midwest. That's simply not true.
This. I don't know why SD can't be appreciated for what it is. It's a perfectly fine city in its own right, and it's also perfectly fine to like both LA and SD for different reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2015, 05:31 PM
 
528 posts, read 483,310 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LoL, judging by your posts you are an uninformed 20something with a beef against LA. I will address your points, though they are beneath me.

- Bro's are not conservative. 9/10 bro's do not vote unless Mom n Dad or a boss drags them.

-SD is not republican, the county is more centrist middle of the road. Politically purple, if you will. The military is really what prevents the county from being another democrat strong hold. I don't care what you think about the stereorypes. Stereotypes exist for a REASON.

-LAX is fine. But the LA metro has half a dozen airports to serve each region. Bob Hope, John Wayne, Ontario, Long Beach, LAX, San Birdoo.

-Not sure what me living in San Jose has to do with anything, it's a better place than where you live.. Though it should be noted that despite being smaller than SD, it still has a better economy, with a larger GDP. Again, a testament to SD's lackluster tourism centric economy.

-Not sure where you get the idea that SD is some sort of city. Public transit is laughable and it is very suburban, even in the central core. And water in SD is only warm in the summer if you swim right at the US mexico border. Otherwise the difference between Malibu and Carlsbad is like a few degrees. Stop trying act like SD is the Florida keyes. LOL
As someone from North Carolina who visited both San Diego and San Jose this summer, I have to say that I found San Diego to be more urban and exciting than San Jose. Both pale in comparison to LA or SF in terms of things to do (of course), but SD is definitely a tier (perhaps 2 tiers) above San Jose in terms of things to do. San Jose is more boring than Dallas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Status: "Corona Virus is here. God be with you" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: where the good looking people are
3,783 posts, read 2,857,202 times
Reputation: 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
No beef against LA. But I don't think you know SD very well.

Yeah bros probably don't vote. But the stereotype this thread is throwing around of SD is the giant pickup truck, conservative military bro dbag and that's simply not what SD is.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. SD County is purple. But SD city is blue. North and east county vote red. Not the city.

We do have quite a few more airports in the LA area than in SD, and it's a well known fact that SAN needs to grow somehow. But acting like LAX is just as big as O'Hare or DFW is funny.

I live in Marina del Rey borderline Venice Beach so stop acting like you're better. You living in SJ and putting down SD for being boring is a joke. SJ has to be the most boring large city in America. SJ has Silicon Valley, so of course the economy is going to be larger. But SD is biotech hub and there are plenty of white collar jobs to be found. Tourism is a large part of SD's economy, but it's not the only thing that keeps it running.

Not like public transit in SJ is leaps and bounds ahead of SD. I never said SD is some urban paradise, though. There are just a lot of people on here making it sound like every square inch of SD is no more cultural or urban than Mission Viejo. I've walked between Little Italy, Seaport Village, East Village, Core, and generally the entire central downtown SD. It's very walkable with a pretty vibrant street life. Not stellar, but better than most people make it out to seem.

In no way am I saying SD is perfect. SD is not that urban hence why I don't want to actually live there. It's not THE most liberal city. It's not devoid of military bros. All I'm saying is that the SD of the past is no more. It's urbanizing downtown and in Little Italy. It's attracting a lot more cultural activities. It's become much more liberal over the years. Its economy is not solely reliant on tourism. It's not as fast paced as central parts of LA, but it is more laid back which is good or bad. However, it is faster paced and more cultural than cities of similar size and is not some extension of South OC.
LoL, I have actually lived and worked in SD county. Which is probably more than you can say.

I don't know why you keep focusing on San Jose or Lax, neither of which have anything to do with the thread at hand. Your failure to stick to the subject matter again shows you are an arguementative 20something. You are more interested in arguing tangents , vs the subject matter, because you know you are wrong. You claimed SD is on its way to becoming a World Class City, which could not be farther from the truth. No matter how many times you went to Sea World.

And why do you keep bringing up Little Italy? It's a generic neighborhood (with few Italians), with some art galleries and over priced bistros. You can find that 100 times in LA.

Sorry, but SD's economy revolves around tourism and federal spending (military). To try to compare it to the dynamic economy of LA (or even San Jose) is comical.

Good to see you moved back to your parents house in LA. Did you loose your job out there in fly over country??

Let's be real, if SD were remotely World Class, the news casts would resemble DC, LA, and NYC. Not Des Moines or Sacramento. LOL. At the end of the day, SD is just a second rate town, in a first rate location.

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 12-26-2015 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 06:24 PM
 
7,844 posts, read 14,709,822 times
Reputation: 5518
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LoL, I have actually lived and worked in SD county. Which is probably more than you can say.

I don't know why you keep focusing on San Jose or Lax, neither of which have anything to do with the thread at hand. Your failure to stick to the subject matter again shows you are an arguementative 20something. You are more interested in arguing tangents , vs the subject matter, because you know you are wrong. You claimed SD is on its way to becoming a World Class City, which could not be farther from the truth. No matter how many times you went to Sea World.

And why do you keep bringing up Little Italy? It's a generic neighborhood (with few Italians), with some art galleries and over priced bistros. You can find that 100 times in LA.

Sorry, but SD's economy revolves around tourism and federal spending (military). To try to compare it to the dynamic economy of LA (or even San Jose) is comical.

Good to see you moved back to your parents house in LA. Did you loose your job out there in fly over country??
Such a typical Bay Area resident. Always trying to make yourself seem way better than everyone else and insulting others.

I haven't lived in SD no, but I've been sent down there many times for work and I have many great friends down there that I go to visit regularly. Honest question and not being argumentative, when was the last time you spent a good amount of time in SD?

LAX is in LA. LA is the second half of this thread. So yes, LA does have something to do with this thread. The reason I mentioned SJ is because you live there, yet you're so quick to badmouth SD for it being boring and having nothing to do. I've never seen such a boring city for its size in my life before I visited SJ.

I brought up Little Italy because it is a neighborhood in which I know many people live, work, play and eat. The people I know that live there either work there or downtown and take the trolley to work. They walk to bars and restaurants and whatever else is around. They own cars for other tasks though. LA doesn't even have a Little Italy. While it's not like a Little Italy in NYC or Boston, the Italian cuisine is very good. One of my coworkers who also goes down to SD a lot is a second generation Italian-American from NYC and she recommended a few places to me there. She loves eating out there. I'm pretty sure she'd know quality Italian food. It's also the first Italian food I ate after spending 5 months studying in Bologna, and I can say without a doubt it was very good quality Italian food, better than anything I've had in LA before. Also a lot of the bars there are very interesting and fun, with a lot of breweries there. The SD region in general is known for having quite a few craft brews. That's a cultural aspect not every city has, whether you enjoy it or not. LA is not known at all for its craft brews. Again, not something that definitively makes SD better than LA or any other city. But I use it to prove a point that it does in fact have culture and things to do outside the beach like you say. There is WAY more to do in SD than SJ. I use SJ since they are similarly sized and you have lived in both. If it weren't for the rest of the Bay Area, SJ residents wouldn't even be able to travel elsewhere for fun and culture. SD has its own culture and activities. As much as LA, SF, NYC, Chicago, etc.? No. Enough to entertain someone living there? Yes. It is way more than just a beach to lounge on it. I'm not sure where you got that from, unless you're an extremely difficult individual to please.
No. 18 San Diego - America

I'm not sure how I'm arguing tangents. I've brought up many aspects of this thread that I think people have gotten wrong and are over exaggerating about SD. Again, SD has become a more important city on the West Coast. Its geographic location bordering Mexico and on the Pacific Rim has helped its economy. Tourism is a large part of the economy, but isn't that a large part of many others' as well? Tourism a large part of the LA and SF economies also. The military is a large part of SD's economy, but it's not the only thing. Biotech and international trade are also important aspects to SD's economy.

Again, I never once said that SD is as good as LA, did I? It's economy is not as strong nor as diverse. But once again, it hold its own for its size and the vast competition it has from LA and the Bay Area just to its north. I think it does quite well given its lesser importance in a state full of varied economic engines. That's the entire point I'm trying to make. No matter our personal opinions, LA is the city with more culture, a stronger economy, a more diversified economy, the more iconic culture, and basically everything relevant as such. It is and always will remain more international and world class than SD. So will many other large cities in the US. But there are some cities larger than or close to SD's population that are much less important to the world and that will never have the cultural amenities SD offers.

Can't you just admit that SD is not this cultural wasteland like people on here have made it out to be? SD will never rival LA or SF or many other American cities for international importance or allure. But for the size of the city, it holds its own in many categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 07:55 PM
 
1,085 posts, read 1,337,357 times
Reputation: 1623
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

-SD is not republican, the county is more centrist middle of the road. Politically purple, if you will. The military is really what prevents the county from being another democrat strong hold. I don't care what you think about the stereorypes. Stereotypes exist for a REASON.

-Not sure what me living in San Jose has to do with anything, it's a better place than where you live.. Though it should be noted that despite being smaller than SD, it still has a better economy, with a larger GDP. Again, a testament to SD's lackluster tourism centric economy.

-Not sure where you get the idea that SD is some sort of city. Public transit is laughable and it is very suburban, even in the central core. And water in SD is only warm in the summer if you swim right at the US mexico border. Otherwise the difference between Malibu and Carlsbad is like a few degrees. Stop trying act like SD is the Florida keyes. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LoL, I have actually lived and worked in SD county. Which is probably more than you can say.

I don't know why you keep focusing on San Jose or Lax, neither of which have anything to do with the thread at hand. Your failure to stick to the subject matter again shows you are an arguementative 20something. You are more interested in arguing tangents , vs the subject matter, because you know you are wrong. You claimed SD is on its way to becoming a World Class City, which could not be farther from the truth. No matter how many times you went to Sea World.

And why do you keep bringing up Little Italy? It's a generic neighborhood (with few Italians), with some art galleries and over priced bistros. You can find that 100 times in LA.

Sorry, but SD's economy revolves around tourism and federal spending (military). To try to compare it to the dynamic economy of LA (or even San Jose) is comical.


Let's be real, if SD were remotely World Class, the news casts would resemble DC, LA, and NYC. Not Des Moines or Sacramento. LOL. At the end of the day, SD is just a second rate town, in a first rate location.
You bring up a lot of interesting points that are mostly true from my observations. I grew up in San Diego County.

You're correct that the county is purple, but this has just recently become the case. Prior to the 2008 election it was a very red county. I don't hate conservatives or Republicans. I just disagree with them on pretty much everything. The city elected their first Democratic mayor in years a few years ago who had some good ideas, but he couldn't stop sexually harassing women and was eventually booted out of office. Now we have yet another Republican. It's the only major city that has a Republican mayor I believe. Sacramento city, as much as some people like to make fun of it, is politically blue and seems like a nice place to move to. I would move there from San Diego. It is a cheaper and more progressive city compared to the rest of the Central Valley to live in and is close to the Bay Area cities.

To the other poster I never said ALL military were ignorant right wingers. A lot of them are though and you can't deny that. It is a stereotype, but has some truth to it. The people I went to high school with who joined the Army and Marines were the type to go on about "killing those ragheads" and "shooting some guns". They didn't go to the Middle East because they were dirt poor and wanted the benefits (which is kind of a crappy reason to join too), but because they wanted to kill the Arabs and shoot some military-grade guns. Military members are not saints that never do wrong. The torture at Guantanamo Bay and Abu Gharaib are perfect examples.

I don't think it is fare to compare it to L.A. because San Diego is much smaller, but it is fair to compare it to other cities like San Jose, San Antonio, and other similar sized cities. San Diego is better than a lot of other cities like Phoenix, but it does have it's flaws. I can't comment on San Jose's economy or any of that because I haven't spent a lot of time there. It does have some culture with Balboa Park museums and drama performances and some of the Latino influence (Chicano Park, South Bay etc). There are also some Asian and Chaldean neighborhoods, but it really does feel sterile, suburban, and conservative in many parts of the city and county. The city is split in this regard. Most of the neighborhoods south of the 8 freeway are very diverse while only a few neighborhoods like Linda Vista and Mira Mesa north of the 8 freeway are culturally diverse. East County outside of La Mesa and the Chaldean population in Rancho San Diego and El Cajon is very conservative and feels like the South and Midwest in many ways. Same with inland North County. I know some people who proudly display the Confederate flag and believe the South is the "real America". They were born and raised in San Diego County. These parts of the county are also home to huge gas guzzling trucks with tea party snake flags, NRA stickers, and other right wing propaganda. The Planned Parenthoods usually have a group of middle aged to old folks protesting against abortion outside of them. Drunk military members get in fights a lot in the Gaslamp.

The economy in San Diego does mostly revolve around the military and tourism and some Biotech companies. The cost of living is ridiculous in this regard because there are not a lot of high paying jobs to match the cost of living. There are a plethora of retail and other minimum wage jobs. If the military left San Diego the county economy would tank. Los Angeles obviously has a better job market and I assume San Jose does as well with Silicon valley nearby. It's a shame that the city can't come to an agreement on expanding the convention center to keep Comic-Con and attract other big conventions that bring in money. So the city will most likely lose the Chargers and possibly Comic-Con as well.

It's not a terrible city/county and is better than many others, but it's not this perfect utopia of fun in the sun that many people make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 11:25 PM
 
7,844 posts, read 14,709,822 times
Reputation: 5518
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
You bring up a lot of interesting points that are mostly true from my observations. I grew up in San Diego County.

You're correct that the county is purple, but this has just recently become the case. Prior to the 2008 election it was a very red county. I don't hate conservatives or Republicans. I just disagree with them on pretty much everything. The city elected their first Democratic mayor in years a few years ago who had some good ideas, but he couldn't stop sexually harassing women and was eventually booted out of office. Now we have yet another Republican. It's the only major city that has a Republican mayor I believe. Sacramento city, as much as some people like to make fun of it, is politically blue and seems like a nice place to move to. I would move there from San Diego. It is a cheaper and more progressive city compared to the rest of the Central Valley to live in and is close to the Bay Area cities.

To the other poster I never said ALL military were ignorant right wingers. A lot of them are though and you can't deny that. It is a stereotype, but has some truth to it. The people I went to high school with who joined the Army and Marines were the type to go on about "killing those ragheads" and "shooting some guns". They didn't go to the Middle East because they were dirt poor and wanted the benefits (which is kind of a crappy reason to join too), but because they wanted to kill the Arabs and shoot some military-grade guns. Military members are not saints that never do wrong. The torture at Guantanamo Bay and Abu Gharaib are perfect examples.

I don't think it is fare to compare it to L.A. because San Diego is much smaller, but it is fair to compare it to other cities like San Jose, San Antonio, and other similar sized cities. San Diego is better than a lot of other cities like Phoenix, but it does have it's flaws. I can't comment on San Jose's economy or any of that because I haven't spent a lot of time there. It does have some culture with Balboa Park museums and drama performances and some of the Latino influence (Chicano Park, South Bay etc). There are also some Asian and Chaldean neighborhoods, but it really does feel sterile, suburban, and conservative in many parts of the city and county. The city is split in this regard. Most of the neighborhoods south of the 8 freeway are very diverse while only a few neighborhoods like Linda Vista and Mira Mesa north of the 8 freeway are culturally diverse. East County outside of La Mesa and the Chaldean population in Rancho San Diego and El Cajon is very conservative and feels like the South and Midwest in many ways. Same with inland North County. I know some people who proudly display the Confederate flag and believe the South is the "real America". They were born and raised in San Diego County. These parts of the county are also home to huge gas guzzling trucks with tea party snake flags, NRA stickers, and other right wing propaganda. The Planned Parenthoods usually have a group of middle aged to old folks protesting against abortion outside of them. Drunk military members get in fights a lot in the Gaslamp.

The economy in San Diego does mostly revolve around the military and tourism and some Biotech companies. The cost of living is ridiculous in this regard because there are not a lot of high paying jobs to match the cost of living. There are a plethora of retail and other minimum wage jobs. If the military left San Diego the county economy would tank. Los Angeles obviously has a better job market and I assume San Jose does as well with Silicon valley nearby. It's a shame that the city can't come to an agreement on expanding the convention center to keep Comic-Con and attract other big conventions that bring in money. So the city will most likely lose the Chargers and possibly Comic-Con as well.

It's not a terrible city/county and is better than many others, but it's not this perfect utopia of fun in the sun that many people make it out to be.
Yes, San Diego is historically the conservative stronghold of all the major CA metros. I would never ever ever deny that. But as you mentioned as well, this is a dying stereotype. The county is turning bluer while the city itself IS blue.

The military stereotype is definitely true, but less so in SD. The pro gun military racists of the south and the midwest may enlist and be stationed in SD, but I wouldn't call them true San Diegans or Californians. They're like students living somewhere, IMO. They live there, but they're not the same to me as someone who plans to live and work and stay there and raise children for decades. I don't mean to insinuate that the military members I know are all as liberal or level-headed as the rest of society. Some are very liberal and don't enjoy killing people and don't hold those views of Muslims. But a lot of them do hold those views. However, I have never encountered people that hold those views actually in the urban and cultural centers of SD. Without a doubt I know they exist in north and east county.

I think an important thing to note is the size of SD compared to LA. LA has those same military stereotype rednecks, but they're further away in places like Riverside and San Bernardino. They exist, trust me. But in SD, they are closer to the liberals and the gays and such in the city because the entire SD metro is smaller than the LA metro both in population and area.

You make a good point about north vs. south of the 8. Except for a select few neighborhoods north of the 8, everything is quite suburban and sterile. But the same can be said about LA. Remember, though, LA is massive geographically compared to SD. These type of neighborhoods are ubiquitous in OC, Ventura, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties. And they do exist even in LA County especially in the north SFV, eastern SGV, SCV, and a few other pockets. LA's cultural core is larger, more diverse, and flat out more cultured. But just because SD has those types of neighborhoods you mention, doesn't mean LA is devoid of them.

I will admit that the military in SD has a stronghold on the economy more so than Hollywood does for LA. But if entertainment left LA, it would be devastating and somewhat already is. It isn't just the actors and writers. It's the caterers for the sets, the valets for the parties, the bartenders for the parties, the baristas working at local coffee shops near sets, waiters and restaurants owners that cater to the entertainment lunch crowds near the studios, etc. There is a lot going on that revolves around entertainment. LA wouldn't suffer as badly without entertainment as SD would without military, but it by no means would easily recover it. This year filming has returned strong to LA, but the past few years saw a lot of entertainment moving to Vancouver, Atlanta, NoLa, and other cities and it already affected the economy.

LA is actually the most unaffordable city compared to wages in the country. LA's job market isn't so great, and our unemployment is actually higher than SD's also. My parents are also moving down there soon because rents are cheaper.

I have never believed that SD is some sunny utopia. It actually really annoys me when I meet people from outside of CA who have never lived in or even visited CA. They just think the whole state is some perfect utopia where everyone lives a perfect life and nothing can go wrong. I know SD has its flaws and so does LA. But I just felt as though this thread wasn't giving SD the credit it was due. It's impossible to compare almost any city to LA, let alone one that anchors a metro region 5 times smaller. Obviously LA will win when it comes to things like culture and diversity and that stuff. But compared to other cities its size, I think SD offers way more and is better than any of its competitors. That's the point I've tried to make. So nothing personal against your POV or your experiences, I was just surprised at the amount of negativity towards SD when this thread pits it against one of the world's premier cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Northern California
939 posts, read 1,771,208 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LoL, I have actually lived and worked in SD county. Which is probably more than you can say.

Sorry, but SD's economy revolves around tourism and federal spending (military). To try to compare it to the dynamic economy of LA (or even San Jose) is comical.


Let's be real, if SD were remotely World Class, the news casts would resemble DC, LA, and NYC. Not Des Moines or Sacramento. LOL. At the end of the day, SD is just a second rate town, in a first rate location.
Why do people feel the need to insult places when they in turn live in cities that are less exciting and second rate?!

What's even more comical is comparing a huge non-descript suburb of over million residents with a pathetic skyline to a city that's buzzing with tourism. If you haven't realized SF's economy largely revolves around tourism as well. So by your logic San Francisco is inferior to San Jose. Yet millions and millions of tourists from around the world visit San Francisco over provincial San Jose.

As far as newscasts go, I think NBC 11 is the only company that has their main offices in SJ. KRON 4, KTVU 2, CBS5, and Univision 14 all operate out of San Francisco. San Jose is very lucky to share the San Francisco media market otherwise it would be as honky as Reno, much less Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 04:03 PM
 
3,216 posts, read 2,025,227 times
Reputation: 1206
San Jose is a world class city vs none of them(SD, LA and Sac.) San Jose is high tech capital of the world with a vibrant downtown and has a host of stadiums like Levi's and new Earthquake stadium, along with SAP arena. The airport goes all around the world now and with a new shiny terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 8,281,870 times
Reputation: 7917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I think that the main knock against San Diego is that it feels more like Orange County than LA. The downtown area is definitely pretty quiet compared to the west side of LA and seemed to lack restaurants when I was there. The north county/Carlsbad area is very suburban feeling with lots of office parks and shopping malls. It's a beautiful area with nice weather but it seems better suited to those that like beach lifestyle and/or people who have settled down and don't like to go out on the weekends.
And so what? Some of us happen to like the way OC looks and don't give a rats rear end that others do not like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 11:54 PM
Status: "Corona Virus is here. God be with you" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: where the good looking people are
3,783 posts, read 2,857,202 times
Reputation: 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Such a typical Bay Area resident. Always trying to make yourself seem way better than everyone else and insulting others.

I haven't lived in SD no, but I've been sent down there many times for work and I have many great friends down there that I go to visit regularly. Honest question and not being argumentative, when was the last time you spent a good amount of time in SD?

LAX is in LA. LA is the second half of this thread. So yes, LA does have something to do with this thread. The reason I mentioned SJ is because you live there, yet you're so quick to badmouth SD for it being boring and having nothing to do. I've never seen such a boring city for its size in my life before I visited SJ.

I brought up Little Italy because it is a neighborhood in which I know many people live, work, play and eat. The people I know that live there either work there or downtown and take the trolley to work. They walk to bars and restaurants and whatever else is around. They own cars for other tasks though. LA doesn't even have a Little Italy. While it's not like a Little Italy in NYC or Boston, the Italian cuisine is very good. One of my coworkers who also goes down to SD a lot is a second generation Italian-American from NYC and she recommended a few places to me there. She loves eating out there. I'm pretty sure she'd know quality Italian food. It's also the first Italian food I ate after spending 5 months studying in Bologna, and I can say without a doubt it was very good quality Italian food, better than anything I've had in LA before. Also a lot of the bars there are very interesting and fun, with a lot of breweries there. The SD region in general is known for having quite a few craft brews. That's a cultural aspect not every city has, whether you enjoy it or not. LA is not known at all for its craft brews. Again, not something that definitively makes SD better than LA or any other city. But I use it to prove a point that it does in fact have culture and things to do outside the beach like you say. There is WAY more to do in SD than SJ. I use SJ since they are similarly sized and you have lived in both. If it weren't for the rest of the Bay Area, SJ residents wouldn't even be able to travel elsewhere for fun and culture. SD has its own culture and activities. As much as LA, SF, NYC, Chicago, etc.? No. Enough to entertain someone living there? Yes. It is way more than just a beach to lounge on it. I'm not sure where you got that from, unless you're an extremely difficult individual to please.
No. 18 San Diego - America

I'm not sure how I'm arguing tangents. I've brought up many aspects of this thread that I think people have gotten wrong and are over exaggerating about SD. Again, SD has become a more important city on the West Coast. Its geographic location bordering Mexico and on the Pacific Rim has helped its economy. Tourism is a large part of the economy, but isn't that a large part of many others' as well? Tourism a large part of the LA and SF economies also. The military is a large part of SD's economy, but it's not the only thing. Biotech and international trade are also important aspects to SD's economy.

Again, I never once said that SD is as good as LA, did I? It's economy is not as strong nor as diverse. But once again, it hold its own for its size and the vast competition it has from LA and the Bay Area just to its north. I think it does quite well given its lesser importance in a state full of varied economic engines. That's the entire point I'm trying to make. No matter our personal opinions, LA is the city with more culture, a stronger economy, a more diversified economy, the more iconic culture, and basically everything relevant as such. It is and always will remain more international and world class than SD. So will many other large cities in the US. But there are some cities larger than or close to SD's population that are much less important to the world and that will never have the cultural amenities SD offers.

Can't you just admit that SD is not this cultural wasteland like people on here have made it out to be? SD will never rival LA or SF or many other American cities for international importance or allure. But for the size of the city, it holds its own in many categories.

I will again address your droll points.

- What does San Jose have to do with this thread? Is this San Jose vs LA or SD vs LA? Yes, it is boring here and most of us prefer it that way. That doesn't make San Diego some exciting place that is bustling with urban vibrancy.

- If I am indeed "better" than anyone else, it is by virtue of being born to a high quality gene pool, and nothing to do with this thread.

-LAX is one of the largest immigration ports of entry in the World, and is in the top 5 for passengers and Cargo. Are you really trying to compare LAX to San Diego's rinky-dink airport? What point are you exactly tying to make here?

As someone who is 100% ITALIAN, if you think little Italy in SD has better Italian food than LA you either:

1) Are not a connoisseur of Italian cuisine. 2) Would not know good Italian food if it hit you in the face.

Little Italy in SD is NOT an Italian neighborhood. It has become a generic Italian themed neighborhood, marketed to WASP yuppies, with very few actual Italians living there.

Again, my argument is not that SD is a bad place to be. You could do much worse (like Sacramento).It's location is really it's only selling point and it is no where near remotely world class.

World Class cities do not have rinky-dink one runway airports from WW2. World Class cities do not have trouble upgrading convention centers. World Class cities do not have to invest millions of dollars to create nightlife (Gaslamp). SD isn't any better than similar sized metros like Minneapolis or Portland. It just has better weather.

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 12-28-2015 at 12:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top