Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:32 AM

21 posts, read 25,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me. This is wrong on SO many levels. I am not typing what I am thinking now because it would be banned by the moderators (yay, free expression) but your writing about people from other parts of the country that serve for our protection is extremely offensive, as well as not true (they are still human beings, and how would YOU know if they were inbred?). How do you know if they're from trailer parks (and why does it matter), and who are you to say they don't belong here? Who are you to say that they should be forcibly removed from here when their service here is finished? "Us Californians"? Do you speak for all 38 million people?
Woot Woot, our military is the reason this forum exist, go thank them for the multiple times that they have kicked butt, and if you are gonna sum up us like that, then LA is a Bunch of Drugged Lower Class Gangsters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 AM

[quote=erin_elise_;42627534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
They are both different..

Didn't matter if someone knows that or not.[/QUOTEt

that was only a tertiary point i was making about ppl not knowing it lololol

the main point was how silly it was to compare Julian to big bear in general lolololol

One, you need to learn to format
Two, I enjoy Big Bear, Julian is just closer to Downtown SD (in proportion to LA and Big Bear) and has World Famous Pie, or in shorter terms, is cozy

Last edited by PumaOrion; 01-14-2016 at 08:42 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
As a San Diego Native, and has seen it all, and been through it all, L.A. is hands down the more vibrant, open minded, funner, and culturally superior city.

I visit L.A. twice a year to see family. One thing about L.A. that is instantly noticeable is how diverse it is racially and culturally compared to SD. While driving on SD freeways and all throughout San Diego County, SD feels like a very White and Mid-Western city rather than one would expect especially when Mexico is our neighbor.

SD doesn't have that Latin flair, or Hispanic influence like that of L.A., even in politics, our leaders in office, are all White, I can't remember the last time San Diego has ever elected a Latino, or African American Mayor or Police Chief or even a Fire Captain. It's like minorities out here are afraid to run for office as they will most likely lose to a candidate that is White because at the end of the day, more White folks vote than minorities, and San Diego, especially the County has one of the highest White populations in the state.

San Diego is very White bread in it's culture no offense, ( The beaches, Surfing, Hiking, Bro's in lifted trucks, offroading, the Military) you either like that or you don't. But it's the truth.

If one is looking for excitement, and endless opportunities for fun, L.A. is where it's at.

Plus the food in L.A. is WAYYYYYYYY BETTER than SD!!! As a Mexican myself, I know what taste bomb and what taste like chit. And for whatever reason, L.A.'s taco's and burrito's have a distinct flavor to the way the carne asada is cooked and marinated which gives it a very good taste. Also the Tortillas, the beans and sauce they use in L.A. is fresh and moist unlike the stale hard as rock Tortillas they use in 99% of the Taco shops here in SD with rice and beans that is canned and flavorless. So our food sucks, and it is hard to find good food in SD for a reasonable price, but overall, the business owners just simply don't care and don't put enough effort into the flavors and ingredients they use in the majority of the restaurants here. The focus here is cheap and bland. Don't get me wrong, SD does have it's spots for good food, but they are few and far in between.

I also have a problem with the conservatism of this town. The city of SD is fairly moderate to liberal, but once you step outside those city limits, be prepared to see things you'd never thought you'd ever see in CA. Like others here have said, East SD County is full of Rednecks, White Trash, Racist, Country Music loving, American Pride, YEE HAW! Pick up truck driving, Weirdo's, Tweakers, Bums, Sick and Disabled, Texas Chain saw Massacre Cletus Jackson (Yes I made up that name lol) people of the world. I am not joking either!

Throw in some Ghettoism, and you felt like you just set foot in the worst parts of Alabama or Mississippi.

This is the San Diego I despise and cannot stand one bit. Everyone thinks as San Diego being some paradise, when in reality we have people living here that are seriously twisted mentally and culturally.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:41 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
At the very same time, L.A. is in a league of it's own, and once you get used to it's big city vibe, it is hard to readjust to San Diego's much slower pace of life.

The reality is, both cities have their pro's and cons, L.A. has it all even with it's flaws, it's just a much better city for everything compared to SD. Sure the traffic is terrible, the air quality is still very bad, and it's too big in many ways to get around in, crime is still problem, but if someone can tolerate those classic L.A. traits, then the city is an awesome destination to live, work and play.

San Diego is more for people that want to settle down, retire, or raise a family in a cookie cutter neighborhood, in a healthy environment. But one must make a lot of money in order to do so as the jobs here aren't nearly as good or high paying like that of L.A.

SD lacks serious diversity in it's economy. As a city that relies so heavily on tourism with an expensive real estate market, it's simply an area of work that nobody can survive on unless you're a manager of some big hotel. All the jobs are in the low wage sector that have high turnover rates, the sustainability of these jobs aren't good. The blue collar jobs in SD don't pay enough for people to make ends meet either.

If somebody gets a degree in tech, or science, most likely they wont start their careers in SD, but in other big cities with greater job opportunities with better pay, and cost of living.

L.A. is expensive to live in as well, but the jobs are much greater and they do pay better in L.A. than here.

People will be surprised with SD's urban area's. San Diego is mainly suburban, but in the older neighborhoods, you can walk for miles, take a bike, hop on the trolley and go where you need to go. We don't have the cool layout and awesome architecture of say SF, we do have our fair share of nice old buildings that resemble something you see on the East Coast. Bankers Hills and parts of Hillcrest comes to mind.

The gentrifying area's of SD like that of L.A., is what is destroying a lot of the old Character in many urban neighborhoods however. A lot of old buildings and homes are being torn down to make way for new condo's that lack great architecture, hipsters and yuppies have ruined places like Little Italy in DTSD. You have more yuppy type and non Italian businesses and people in Little Italy these days than actual Italians. It now feels fake, forced, and a touristy than it did in the past. Hipsters and Yuppies have taken over and killed off the real Italian culture, look and feel of the neighborhood.

It's just so sad. I hope all this gentrification will either slow down, or get reversed in time if the economy ever tanks.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:48 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
I'm not denying that LA is more vibrant, more cultured, more liberal, and more fun. I think people are missing a major point of this thread, though. Greater LA is 5 TIMES larger than the SD MSA (minus TJ). Of course there is going to be way more to do! My main point I've been trying to say all along is that it is completely unfair to compare the two. LA is much larger, much more international, much more popular, much more vibrant/active, etc. But for its size, SD is no slouch in any category and IMO is better than any of its equals.

Also, I brought up the point before about the politics. Urban LA is very liberal. Urban SD is quite liberal. However, the geographic size of LA is much larger than the geographic size of SD. Therefore, those crazy redneck meth making freakshows that inland CA is known for are just simply closer to urban SD than to urban LA. If you think huge parts of Riverside and San Bernardino Counties don't have those same type of people, you're sadly mistaken. Even LA County's parts in the Mojave do. The Mojave Desert is a breeding ground for that exact stereotype. Only difference is that LA is massive so those types of people are much further away from the general population.

P.S. Comparing Julian to Big Bear needs to stop. Julian might be "cozy" to you, but Big Bear is simply beautiful. How many other major/global/international/Alpha cities in the world have skiing/snowboard access with such a beautiful lake only 1-2 hours away? To even suggest that some little mountain village is better than a ski resort town with a beautiful lake is just a huge waste of your time.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Big Bear is that nice? That's great news cus I wanted to either go there or just take the drive up to Mammoth to get some beautiful scenery. Rank 'em please; big bear, mammoth, Julian, Tahoe

Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Big Bear is that nice? That's great news cus I wanted to either go there or just take the drive up to Mammoth to get some beautiful scenery. Rank 'em please; big bear, mammoth, Julian, Tahoe
For scenery or skiing/snowboarding? Scenery, I'd say Big Bear since the lake is beautiful surrounded by the mountains. Skiing/snowboarding I'd say Mammoth since it's the better ski resort with more snow. Since you're in SoCal, Tahoe is further. It's the best for skiing/snowboarding and scenery, but it's more of a NorCal destination. If you don't mind the longer drive, or flying in to Reno and then driving, Tahoe is the best. But Mammoth is a very close second and it's basically the Tahoe for SoCal.

That's a benefit to LA, though. Closer to better skiing/snowboarding.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:32 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
For scenery or skiing/snowboarding? Scenery, I'd say Big Bear since the lake is beautiful surrounded by the mountains. Skiing/snowboarding I'd say Mammoth since it's the better ski resort with more snow. Since you're in SoCal, Tahoe is further. It's the best for skiing/snowboarding and scenery, but it's more of a NorCal destination. If you don't mind the longer drive, or flying in to Reno and then driving, Tahoe is the best. But Mammoth is a very close second and it's basically the Tahoe for SoCal.

That's a benefit to LA, though. Closer to better skiing/snowboarding.
I hear both mammoth and Tahoe are pricy, so I might have to just stick to big bear or Julian. Is Julian even in that category, is it not a mountain town/resort? I'm mostly just looking for scenery.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

P.S. Comparing Julian to Big Bear needs to stop. Julian might be "cozy" to you, but Big Bear is simply beautiful. How many other major/global/international/Alpha cities in the world have skiing/snowboard access with such a beautiful lake only 1-2 hours away? To even suggest that some little mountain village is better than a ski resort town with a beautiful lake is just a huge waste of your time.

Umm, I never said Big Bear Wasnt, heck ill go anywhere in SoCal if its snows there. But thats the point, LA doesnt have a Cozy little mountain village with owrld famous pie, the closest thing to Julian in LA is Big Bear, but only because they are on a completely different metric. Big Bear is Bueatiful, its just Big, and Julian is Little. The closest thing that LA has to a little mountian village is Big Bear, and Big Bear is well, Big. Also, Julian is near Lake Cuyamaca, just saying.

P.S. Despite the fact that I will always think that San Diego is better than LA, can we at least not think of SD as a suburb, rather another part of the SoCal Megopolis

Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
Listen to sdlife619. He knows what he is talking about.

San Diego's airport is too small for the city and county it serves. There is only one runway. It is also pretty dangerous as well. It made the list of the 10 most extreme airports in the World because airplanes have to fly very close to downtown buildings and there is a parking structure that pilots must avoid hitting while landing. The new bridge connecting San Diego to the Tijuana airport is indeed very nice. It takes money away from San Diego's airport though. You can fly to places like China, South America, and Europe from the Tijuana airport for a lot cheaper. Flying out of San Diego is much more expensive. Since it is so small it doesn't have many direct international flights and you have to fly into LAX or some other airport which is more time consuming and expensive. San Diego has been wanting to build a new airport for a long time now, but they can't find any open land. The military will not let San Diego buy their landing strips like at Miramar. Now they are talking about building on a chunk of the base in Oceanside, but again they are being met with opposition. There was even a plan about a decade ago to build a big airport in the Imperial Valley and run a train from San Diego to there! I admit the current location is pretty cool being next to downtown and the ocean but that is one of the big reasons it can't be expanded. There is no more room. The trolley system doesn't even go to the airport. It stops down the street from the airport. Terrible planning.

I don't think having the military here makes us safer. It just makes San Diego a bigger target for terrorism. Not blindly supporting everything the military does is not unpatriotic as another poster wrote. I think questioning what the military does and whether it is moral or not IS patriotic.

Julian can not be compared to Big Bear, Tahoe, Mountain High, or Mammoth. Those places are all superior to Julian. Julian is nice but it hardly ever snows and is not a ski resort. All those places are far better. Julian Apple Pie is insanely overrated and I've heard that the apples the pies are made with aren't even grown in Julian!

San Diego County does have a problem with lack of diversity in its politics. The County Board of Supervisors are all old and white. All but one are Republicans and they've been on the board for years. The District Attorney is old and white and has also been there for many years. They are out of touch with the growing population and diversity of the area. We need some new people running the show.

There is a very real old money feel to the area. Rancho Santa Fe is in no way appealing unless you like huge million dollar Mcmansions that all look the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles