U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,675,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Actually, color does make a difference here for insurance. I find it odd that black is more expensive where you live. Here, it's red. They think you will be speed demon or will be a crazier driver if you have a red car.
I've insured quite a few cars and have never been asked what color it is.

Hey, look what google found:

Auto Insurance - Top 10 Auto Insurance Myths

see #9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,103,253 times
Quote:
Actually, color does make a difference here for insurance. I find it odd that black is more expensive where you live. Here, it's red. They think you will be speed demon or will be a crazier driver if you have a red car.

A convertible will also cost more since they are not as safe. But, older cars sometimes have lower costs.

Depending on how fast the car goes can make a difference. For example, if you are deciding between two cars that are exactly the same (same color, features, and so on), the one will the bigger engine will be much more. Usually luxury models such as Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Audi will be more to insure because they are more expensive to repair.
some of the main factors that influence insurance:

Age, Marital Status, Driving Record, Zip Code, Performance Class, Cost of parts, and crash data. Also, garaging, alarms, lojack, auto seatbelts, airbags reduce costs. Some insurance companies will be very inexpensive but when you get into an accident, that cheap policy is what it is. Most people dont understand this until after theyve gone through a major or complicated accident.

Color is not a factor. I suspect if the insurance broker says there is a surcharge on red or black, that money is going directly into his pocket as a brokerage fee.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,729,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
some of the main factors that influence insurance:

Age, Marital Status, Driving Record, Zip Code, Performance Class, Cost of parts, and crash data. Also, garaging, alarms, lojack, auto seatbelts, airbags reduce costs. Some insurance companies will be very inexpensive but when you get into an accident, that cheap policy is what it is. Most people dont understand this until after theyve gone through a major or complicated accident.

Color is not a factor. I suspect if the insurance broker says there is a surcharge on red or black, that money is going directly into his pocket as a brokerage fee.
Is it possible the color is encoded in the VIN number, meaning the insurance company could know the color without asking directly?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 PM

236 posts, read 1,061,017 times
LOL! Hilarious!!!! I haven't thought of that guy in years... did he die?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
LOL! Hilarious!!!! I haven't thought of that guy in years... did he die?
From the Wikipedia link I posted above, "Cal is supposedly in fine health for an 86 year old." It is pretty interesting.

Remember "Hi Friend, Ralph Williams, Ralph Williams Ford. Today, check out this beautiful 1975 Ford LTD...."

L.A. Vintage Commercials: Cal Worthington

Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM

11 posts, read 33,642 times
Quote:

A convertible will also cost more since they are not as safe. But, older cars sometimes have lower costs.

Depending on how fast the car goes can make a difference. For example, if you are deciding between two cars that are exactly the same (same color, features, and so on), the one will the bigger engine will be much more. Usually luxury models such as Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Audi will be more to insure because they are more expensive to repair.
In the UK the black colour make the insurance more expensive because they believe that the visibility of the car is reduce, expecially during night time.
Some of the cars that I am checking are "reposseses". I am not sure about this. Do you think that i am going to have dificulties with the insurance... o later on to sell the car myself? I am not sure about this.
Thanks for all the good advice.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM

7,854 posts, read 14,714,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is it possible the color is encoded in the VIN number, meaning the insurance company could know the color without asking directly?
I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Doubtful. When I was contemplating our latest car purchase, I had my wife call our insurance agent about insurance rates. We had no VIN to give him and color was never discussed. Make, model, year, and equipment was what he cared about for generating a quote.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
... I had my wife ...
We think alike.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We think alike.
Haha well she works for the county which means she has plenty of free time during the day. I, on the other hand, don't get paid if I'm not out there actually working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles