Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 PM

96 posts, read 410,159 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a driver's license? I assume you have a work VISA or green card, as if you are undocumented, I believe the current CA law says you cannot apply for a driver's license.

I had a British license when my job transferred me to the US in 1988. As far as I can remember, I drove around on that license for a few months while waiting to do my test. After 1993, the law was changed and I would have had to show my green card. My birth certificate was required however, so don't leave home without it!

Nowadays I think you will need an "international" drivers license (it has a photo) before driving in the US; I don't think a UK license will do. Apply for your US license as soon as possible (if you have a work permit), as it is used as a major source of ID in the States. see California Department of Motor Vehicles

for "new drivers" - see DMV 2Column CA Template

I think you also need to have Insurance before you get Vehicle Registration. Do some homework, and please don't drive until you are ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:57 PM

96 posts, read 410,159 times
I stand corrected on the International Driver's License - you can drive on a UK License. (I guess in 1980s they didn't like mine because it did not have a photo.) From CA DMV's "new driver" page after i scanned it further:

International Driving Permits:

The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.

The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person's foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.

The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.

For more information about travel and driver licensing requirements outside of the US, visit the US State Department Road Safety Overseas website at: http://travel.state.gov/road_safety.html (broken link)

Old 12-04-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,548 times
Default Quality One Auto sales-Car financing

I felt like I was in a desperate situation after my divorce. My car got repossessed and I was looking for work. I found a job but how was I going to get two kids to daycare and get to my job or the grocery store on the bus? The job was about 10 miles from home but paid well. I was able to borrow my mom’s car for a few weeks while she was out of town but then what?

I had heard about Quality One Auto Sales but was skeptical. Why would they finance me for a vehicle when no one else was willing to? I figured I had nothing to lose by contacting them. They asked for a few basic things to verify who I was, residence, and a letter from my employer. Then they were able to help me get into a reliable car for a low monthly payment. Without their help I wouldn’t have been able to take the job I desperately needed to care for my family.

Here's their contact:

Roscoe Location:
17700 Roscoe Blvd. Northridge California 91325
Telephone: 818-342-5517
Fax: 818-772-2288

Justine Smith

Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,895 times
Default to buy car dealers insurance in CA go to www.1bondsinsurance.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberCanu View Post
Hi to all:
I need to buy a car in a couple of weeks. I am new in the city and I need to buy a car (I am from Europe) quite quick. Can anybody recomend me a car dealer in LA? Also, what do i need to check when I purchase the car? To be honest, I don't know anything about engine, just I look at the shape and the colour... I am not good at cars??? But I will appreciate any comments to help me in my choice. I would like to spend around $8500 and I would like to have a convertible car, with a insurance no very expensive.
Also, I am used to the english driving (from the opposite site of the road) and I didn't drive for the past 18 months. Do you think that I need to take some lessons? and if the answer is yes, How do I choose the company and how much it is cost per hour aprx.???
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Rob

to buy car dealers insurance or a car dealer bond for the state of california go to [url=http://www.1bondsinsurance.com]Arizona Income Tax Insurance AZ Tax Surety Bonds Auto Insurance Nationwide[/url]

Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,895 times
Default to buy car dealers insurance in CA go to www.1bondsinsurance.com

to buy car dealers insurance or a surety bond please go to [url=http://www.buyasuretybond.com]Buy a Surety Bond | ALL Surety Bonds | Quotes | Affordable Price[/url]
in the state of ca
los angeles and main areas

Old 01-30-2012, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
Dear All, i'm from Asian, i'm looking for used car in LA or CA, do you know any information of the car dealer over there? please, kindly to contact with me via mail ( [email]daoming_ly@yahoo.com[/email]), thank you very much.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,241 times
Galpin is great; I bought my first car there over a decade ago. Honda Dealer Los Angeles and Used Cars Los Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles