U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 AM

11 posts, read 33,637 times

Advertisements

Hi to all:
I need to buy a car in a couple of weeks. I am new in the city and I need to buy a car (I am from Europe) quite quick. Can anybody recomend me a car dealer in LA? Also, what do i need to check when I purchase the car? To be honest, I don't know anything about engine, just I look at the shape and the colour... I am not good at cars??? But I will appreciate any comments to help me in my choice. I would like to spend around $8500 and I would like to have a convertible car, with a insurance no very expensive.
Also, I am used to the english driving (from the opposite site of the road) and I didn't drive for the past 18 months. Do you think that I need to take some lessons? and if the answer is yes, How do I choose the company and how much it is cost per hour aprx.???
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM

236 posts, read 1,060,897 times
Please take some lessons. Driving here is not the same as driving in Europe, and it may help lower your insurance rates. I'm not sure, but I think AAA has driving classes for people in your situation. And, it's not so much about the dealer as it is about the car. Get a car with low mileage and not too old, and you should be fine. We recently bought a 2002 Ford minivan for about the price you mentioned and it only had 47,000 miles on it. We should be able to get a good five years out of it at least before major problems occur. I may be wrong, but most people search for cars to buy online around here, not at a dealer. If you really have no idea what you like, try a place like Cerritos Auto Square where there are a variety of dealers, makes, models, etc for you to test drive. (I sound like a commercial) If you're not sure about the engine quality, you can probably purchase some kind of extended warranty. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:36 PM

40 posts, read 238,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberCanu View Post
..... Can anybody recomend me a car dealer in LA? Also, what do i need to check when I purchase the car? ........ $8500 and I would like to have a convertible car, with a insurance no very expensive.
Rob
- We dont say "God saves the Queen" but we say "never trust a used car saleman" . For that reason nobody want to recomment you a car dearler.
- To find your car , just read "Auto trader" magazine in your area , or CARFAX used car VIN number search, auto history check, vehicle history reports

- and again keep in mind that Auto Trader and Carfax are the two biggest sources for used car. And I did NOT recomment to you of those two.

Good luck.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:56 PM

32 posts, read 224,395 times
Well for others reading this post that can afford to pay a little more then $8500. I recommend you visit bob smith bmw in Calabasas. After visiting other local dealers, I found bob smith to the the best. I got a great deal on a car. they did not haggle with the price and try to rip me off with the numbers unlike others bmw dealers ( bmw Beverly hills hint hint). in a nutshell, i did not get any BS from the dealer/ salesman that i came in expecting, and i came out with a new bmw. Best car buying experience I had so far.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:25 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,746 times
Before you visit a dealership, use the internet to check out used car pricing. Run a search on different sites to see what you can afford. Autotrader, Kelly blue book, etc

If you choose to go with a convertible, check out the various car companies that offer convertibles, find a make and model car you like, then check the pricing.

Once you know the average cost of the model & year you are looking at, then start looking for that specific model through private parties on the internet and local dealerships. Also, see if you can buy a warranty.

Also,Don't buy the car the first time you see it. Go home and check it out online and look for similar year/make/model to compare pricing. Then return and negociate a lower price. You need to factor in unexpected expenses as well.

Here are a few suggestions for you:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,709,822 times
The best place to buy a used car is Carmax. They check their cars very well and make sure there is nothing wrong with them. They also check the vehicle's history report. If it has been in a bad accident, they will not sell it to you. Their prices area actually cheaper than some other companies.

CarMax: Search by ZIP (http://carmax.com/dyn/search/searchresults.aspx?PP=48 - broken link)

Old 12-02-2007, 05:34 PM

11 posts, read 33,637 times
Hi. Thanks to all of you for all the comments. Very usefull.

Edelweiss: thanks for the advice. I will definetly take some driving lessons. I am checking now AAA. Any idea about prices? In London (UK) the hour is around $50, too expensive. Is it any cheaper in LA? I will visit Cerritos to help me with the model.

Robin2226: I think that Carfax is great for peace of mind. I will use it definetly. Anybody doesn't agree? I think it is worth it.

Greggd, great car models and great advice... i am already excited thinking about the model of my car!!! I hope to get something like the ones that you show me. I will post a picture and details when I get it. I think that the procedure that you explain is quite good. thanks again.

jessemh431, I check Carmax and looks good. thanks again.

I would like to ask you what make a car insurance more expensive. Apart of the price, obviously, and the mileage. May be to have a convertible model?, o the color? (in UK if is black the insurance is higher) o the year, o make??? I don't know. It is just to make sure that I am not getting a surprise when I check the insurance after I get the car.

Thanks again. I continue my research.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,670,103 times
Quote:
I would like to ask you what make a car insurance more expensive. Apart of the price, obviously, and the mileage. May be to have a convertible model?, o the color? (in UK if is black the insurance is higher) o the year, o make??? I don't know. It is just to make sure that I am not getting a surprise when I check the insurance after I get the car.
I don't believe color is a factor in insurance rates. The big three factors are: What kind of car, your driving record, and where you live. Its all based on experience of the insurance companies. If you live in an area with high claim rates, you'll pay more. The state is trying to make insurance companies stop that, but all they'll do is charge people in good areas more to balance it out. Some cars are expensive to fix. Two door cars tend to be more expensive to repair than four door cars. Some cars are designed such that very minor collisions result in very expensive repairs. And of course, some cars are bigger theft targets than others. Insuring such cars is going to be more expensive. Your best bet is to contact an insurance agent and throw a few prospective make and models at him to see what's cheaper to insure.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:15 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,716,335 times
MY DOG SPOT....the Cal Worthington archives

Cal Worthington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THE CAL WORTHINGTON DEALERSHIPS

Old 12-02-2007, 07:03 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,709,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I don't believe color is a factor in insurance rates. The big three factors are: What kind of car, your driving record, and where you live. Its all based on experience of the insurance companies. If you live in an area with high claim rates, you'll pay more. The state is trying to make insurance companies stop that, but all they'll do is charge people in good areas more to balance it out. Some cars are expensive to fix. Two door cars tend to be more expensive to repair than four door cars. Some cars are designed such that very minor collisions result in very expensive repairs. And of course, some cars are bigger theft targets than others. Insuring such cars is going to be more expensive. Your best bet is to contact an insurance agent and throw a few prospective make and models at him to see what's cheaper to insure.
Quote:

Thanks again. I continue my research.
Actually, color does make a difference here for insurance. I find it odd that black is more expensive where you live. Here, it's red. They think you will be speed demon or will be a crazier driver if you have a red car.

A convertible will also cost more since they are not as safe. But, older cars sometimes have lower costs.

Depending on how fast the car goes can make a difference. For example, if you are deciding between two cars that are exactly the same (same color, features, and so on), the one will the bigger engine will be much more. Usually luxury models such as Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Audi will be more to insure because they are more expensive to repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles