Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvca View Post
my first 'job' was a farm hand on a dairy farm at the age of 15yo, i worked from 4:30am to noon.. my 1st career was as a domain broker.. at 18yo i was registering short domains i could think of like 'dealstreet.com' and just random 3-4 letter acronyms.. i was paying like $10/domain using tips working at a french-caribbean restaurant close to home and after i got into college, via credit cards, was selling them on ebay.. then got into leasing apts and management consulting, finally flipping after college which put me thru grad school and afforded cash for first few flips.

i've seen people with mortgages.. they tend to have 9-5 jobs where they surf the net at their cubicle most of the day and get like $30k-$40k/yr to do that and most of that money dissapears into rent, clothes, shoes, vid games, food, cigs, booze.. american culture is CONSUMPTION- and INDULGENCE-based that no wonder most ppl barely have $100k in their retirement years in this generation, and college grads refuse careers left and right, and the dollar is worth pennies compared to what it was worth just 100 yrs ago... housing prices havent really gone up over the years, inflation has, folks!

do ya think in non-western cultures ppl can just borrow a million dollars for their dream house? they made do with what they have and live within their means - contently - if western folks were put into that same situation where they cant finance anything, they'd probably commit suicide, most all of them
The poster may not use caps, but the above highlighted statement is oh so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 05:09 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Some of hose one percenters certainly have no problem buying those shiny new condos in DTLA @ $450K+ a pop, and some of them are undoubtedly paying cash.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM

362 posts, read 543,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvca View Post

do ya think in non-western cultures ppl can just borrow a million dollars for their dream house? they made do with what they have and live within their means - contently - if western folks were put into that same situation where they cant finance anything, they'd probably commit suicide, most all of them
^^^^ Truth!

Update 4/7/14. We made an offer on a house in the San Rafael area of Pasadena (near the Rose Bowl) and it was accepted. Our escrow closes on 4/17/14. Yay!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 PM

401 posts, read 767,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
Update 4/7/14. We made an offer on a house in the San Rafael area of Pasadena (near the Rose Bowl) and it was accepted. Our escrow closes on 4/17/14. Yay!
Congrats, again! You mentioned near the Rose Bowl. Are you north of the 210/134 or south?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
Congrats, again! You mentioned near the Rose Bowl. Are you north of the 210/134 or south?
The reason I ask is that there are two neighborhoods near the Rose Bowl: Linda Vista (West of Rose Bowl, North of 134) and Prospect Park (South East of the RoseBowl, north of the 134/ west of 210).. then there's San Rafael which is South of the 134, West of the Arroyo..

Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Well she did say San Rafael area...

Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
^^^^ Truth!

i guess those all cash buyers are gone.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Well she did say San Rafael area...
Yeah, I know. Sometimes people get confused about different areas, so I was just adding some clarity in case she was thinking "near the Rose Bowl" was all San Rafael... I even see realtors get it wrong on their promotional material.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
The reason I ask is that there are two neighborhoods near the Rose Bowl: Linda Vista (West of Rose Bowl, North of 134) and Prospect Park (South East of the RoseBowl, north of the 134/ west of 210).. then there's San Rafael which is South of the 134, West of the Arroyo..
Thank you!!! The house is located south of the 134, west of the Arroyo (San Rafael). I didn't know there was such a neighborhood as Prospect Park. My kids only used to go to school in that area! Now I know what to call it, so thank you for that.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
i guess those all cash buyers are gone.
No, they're still there, we just happened to get lucky. It's a long story, but basically, this house went from pre-foreclosure (previous owner) to purchase (new buyer) to pocket listing (us); so no one else knew about it. Nine more days to go and it's ours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles