Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:21 PM

25 posts, read 48,689 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a 20 year old black male and I was looking at a couple of western cities to move to. I'm from northern Delaware( extremely boring) and I'm looking for a change of setting. I would like to live in a fairly large city. LA, San Diego, Seattle, and maybe Phoenix were the cities I'm looking into. My first choice was Seattle since I'm familiar with it but the cloudiness in the winter scares me. I was then sold on LA til I read about the apparent race war they're having between Black and Mexican gangs how they target innocent people.

Is there a lot of animosity between Blacks and Mexicans?
How often does this happen?
Is it safe for me to travel through Mexican neighborhoods? ( I will be taking public transportation til I get enough money for a car)
I dress like your average guy, do most gangs wear baggy clothing or something to distinguish themselves from regular folk?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:27 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Only Gangs

seldom

Yes

Gang Bangers look aged

Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
I'm black too and I never had any issue with mexicans or anyone else. I love living here. I also lived in Seattle and enjoyed living there too.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:42 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxonhh View Post
Hi I'm a 20 year old black male and I was looking at a couple of western cities to move to. I'm from northern Delaware( extremely boring) and I'm looking for a change of setting. I would like to live in a fairly large city. LA, San Diego, Seattle, and maybe Phoenix were the cities I'm looking into. My first choice was Seattle since I'm familiar with it but the cloudiness in the winter scares me. I was then sold on LA til I read about the apparent race war they're having between Black and Mexican gangs how they target innocent people.

Is there a lot of animosity between Blacks and Mexicans?
How often does this happen?
Is it safe for me to travel through Mexican neighborhoods? ( I will be taking public transportation til I get enough money for a car)
I dress like your average guy, do most gangs wear baggy clothing or something to distinguish themselves from regular folk?

Thanks
It's 2014. This is for sure the least of your concerns. Your biggest struggles as a Black man will be the same as mine...meeting too many women who are actresses, sitting in traffic, and being rejected at certain clubs because you don't have women with you or don't want to buy a bottle. You will be ok with everything you've mentioned.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Two of my sons live there and would not live anywhere else. They both live in the Valley (North Hollywood/Valley Village area).

Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Another one of "those" threads.....pffffft!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:12 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
These threads have a purpose. Being a black man is a radically different experience from being any other race.

To the OP, yes, everything should be safe. Live wherever you want. Being black or Hispanic in LA pretty much lets you travel anywhere in LA without questions. A white or asian in certain neighborhoods is gonna be out of place.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Really? I haven't seen any threads like mine on here. I guess I didn't look hard enough. Anyway I just know there is (or was) a strong gang culture in LA and I wanted to know if there was a lot of hostility between Blacks and Mexicans. I don't want to be harassed or targeted by a bunch of gang members because I'm a young black male with the wrong color on. That's the difference between whites and blacks. Nobody really assumes a white guy is in a gang. However me as a 20 year old black male with a Kansas City Royals hat on could be perceived as being gang affiliated and targeted. I'm probably just paranoid but I figured I might as well ask.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Old 02-05-2014, 01:40 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
If you wanna be sure, don't wear any sports affiliated clothing (including hats) and avoid bright colors.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
If you wanna be sure, don't wear any sports affiliated clothing (including hats) and avoid bright colors.
Yes that's probably what I'll do until I become more comfortable with the city and people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles