U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 29,030 times

Advertisements

The building I plan to live at has an underground garage, so the first floor is actually 1.5 floor. There is another choice which is a third floor apartment. I heard that LA is not very safe, but the first floor one has a better view from the patio.There are glass slide doors to both living room and bed room from the patio. I'm afraid that somebody can easily climb onto the patio and enter the room, but I'm not sure how often this situation happens in LA.

Could anybody give me some suggestions on which one I should rent, first or the third floor? The apartment is located west of Korea town, at the corner of 3rd and S. Kingsley street.

Many thanks!

Last edited by chemdumb; 11-30-2007 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 PM

6,663 posts, read 27,024,412 times
I personally would take the unit with the patio and best view. Renters insurance is very reasonable. Do not hope that the owners insurance will protect your belongings.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,874,747 times
if the "patio" is off the ground (i.e., a balcony, rather than a patio), i'd go with that one if the view is substantially more attractive or you would get better natural light. just make sure you close and lock the sliding doors when you are out and at bedtime. they should have locks per the housing code, but placing an obstacle in the track so that it can't be opened wide enough for unwanted entry is an extra precaution you can take. a broomstick will work.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:31 PM

153 posts, read 591,061 times
No, do not rent the first floor unit. I know that neighborhood very well and this would be a foolish choice. Rent the thrid floor unit and be glad you did. Seriously, a better view will be the last of your concerns.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemdumb View Post
The building I plan to live at has an underground garage, so the first floor is actually 1.5 floor. There is another choice which is a third floor apartment. I heard that LA is not very safe, but the first floor one has a better view from the patio.There are glass slide doors to both living room and bed room from the patio. I'm afraid that somebody can easily climb onto the patio and enter the room, but I'm not sure how often this situation happens in LA.

Could anybody give me some suggestions on which one I should rent, first or the third floor? The apartment is located west of Korea town, at the corner of 3rd and S. Kingsley street.

Many thanks!
Take the apartment on the third floor. Much safer.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:08 AM

2,573 posts, read 7,874,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
No, do not rent the first floor unit. I know that neighborhood very well and this would be a foolish choice. Rent the thrid floor unit and be glad you did. Seriously, a better view will be the last of your concerns.
if the neighborhood is so bad that it would make a difference, perhaps the OP shouldn't rent there at all, no?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemdumb View Post

Many thanks!
Living on the 1st floor, in any neighborhood, requires more attention to burglary prevention.

You can buy a lock that attaches to the slider and has a rod that extends into the door frame/slider track. It will enable you to keep the door open a few inches but eliminate entry to the unit.

The landlord is not responsible for your personal belongings.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 PM

4,610 posts, read 10,334,463 times
I would suggest the third floor for several reasons...safety, less noise and earthquakes.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:49 PM

10,949 posts, read 1,218,352 times
No,i would never rent an apartment on the first floor due to safety reasons.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:47 PM

175 posts, read 680,092 times
Well lots of houses in LA have bars on the windows, therefore that may give you an idea of the safety of the city. If one is a female, I don't think burglary would be my main concern. Things can be insured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles