Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,344 times

Advertisements

Ive recently been entertaining the idea of moving to LA, specifically Hollywood/West Hollywood area. (no desire to act, or dreams of becoming famous.) I'm looking for the most walkable/bike friendly densely populated region that is affordable. Any suggestions?

I currently live in Midtown Sacramento and looking for something similar if anyone had been to the are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 02:12 PM

26 posts, read 51,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdaki11 View Post
Ive recently been entertaining the idea of moving to LA, specifically Hollywood/West Hollywood area. (no desire to act, or dreams of becoming famous.) I'm looking for the most walkable/bike friendly densely populated region that is affordable. Any suggestions?
Doesn't exist. Seriously. To some extent, you get what you pay for. One of the reasons why L.A. isn't walk/bike friendly is because no one walks or bikes. Btw, density is no indicator of livability. Look at Maywood. It's a super dense hellhole.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Riding a bike in LA is a good way to get yourself killed. Its dangerous enough in a car with all the narrow lanes, curb lanes that appear and disappear at random with cars parked in them, unprotected lefts, not to mention bad drivers, unlicensed drivers in $500 disposable cars, aggressive drivers, and drivers with a cell phone in one hand and a Starbucks in the other.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdaki11 View Post

I currently live in Midtown Sacramento and looking for something similar if anyone had been to the are.
What is your price range? I am not familiar with a lot of these areas but I have read posts from some people who are. I think you can find what you want but it really depends on what you can afford. Maybe not biking but walking and public transport.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:04 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
West Hollywood is one of the most densely populated places in the entire country. But, also one of the most expensive. Downtown Los Angeles may be an alternative. It may be a little cheaper, I'm not sure. It may also be the same prices, just that in DT LA they are bigger. Another area to consider is Marina Del Rey or Santa Monica. Downtown Long Beach is a pretty good area now. If you're looking for bike friendly, can I suggest Portland, OR or Eugene, OR. They are both rated one of the best cities for bicyclists. I would know because I like two colleges in the area and want to apply there, but I wanted to make sure I could ride my bike safely around the city as most universities do not allow Freshman to have cars.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
There are lots of places that are walkable but maybe not so bike-friendly. Pasadena, Glendale, Los Feliz, Silverlake (if you don't mind hills), Long Beach, Glendora, San Dimas, etc. Burbank has bike paths in certain parts of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles