Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 30,200 times

Advertisements

Hey folks

I'm currently living in Boise, ID (relocated from Scotland, UK) but there maybe an oppurtunity to relocated for a job down in Pasadena.

Everyone here I ask says I would be mad to change! People asked ranges from Idahoans and those have lived in LA/Calif before

What do you guys think?

Any opinions greatly appreciated

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,596,856 times
First, kindly tell us if you plan to rent or buy a place; if the latter, go to realtordotcom and see if this is what you can afford. If you can afford to live in as well as work in Pasadena, a place of great wealth, you'd be bypassing a lot of what is hateful about the rest of Los Angeles. I know a great many of my UK friends put a great premium on sunshine, and are willing to take on a lot in trade-offs.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:15 AM

45 posts, read 133,684 times
Feel free to PM me, I've lived in Pasadena all my life. Like the rest of S. Cal, it has become very expensive (even by Cali. standards), and congested. But there are a lot of great restaurants, movies, and outdoor activities...it just depends what you want and if you don't mind traffic, crowds and difficult parking All my lifetime friends are here that is the only thing keeping me here, sorry to say

Old 10-22-2006, 12:54 PM

279 posts, read 1,856,714 times
I know of three families that left so cal for Idaho. They wouldn't come back for anything.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:05 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,225,669 times
It totally depends on what would make you happy. If you lived in the Scotland and want something a tad calmer than say, London. You might prefer Boise. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that Boise is to The Lake District as Psadena is to London. Not talking about weather or ammenities, but population.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:22 PM
mmb

10 posts, read 69,141 times
Dear Bevereeno-I'm in my late 40's, lived here all my life, and have raised a family. I'm also a realtor. First, home prices are very high. Condo's start at about $350m for a 1 bed, 1 bath, 750 square foot condo, apartment conversion. The smog in Pasadena can be bad during summer. If schools are of question, please go onto the states web site to get the A.P. I ratings. We are 20 mins. north of downtown L.A., with no traffic. The mountains are beautiful, lots of entertainment, restaurants, movies, theaters, music, etc. A lot of outdoor activities too. The biggest change for out of towners is the diversity of our area, the congestion and the price of homes. I hope this helped.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:02 AM
BBG

6 posts, read 82,648 times
I have lived here for two years now and can't wait to move out. The air quality is bad, the diversity is not friendly, tonight I counted 11 homeless people with shopping carts in a six block span while going to the grocery store from my home, the pan handling is really awful. It's not safe here at all either if you have any children to think about. I would never advise anyone to come here, people are moving to where you are!

Old 10-23-2006, 09:34 AM

45 posts, read 133,684 times
South Pasadena is still really nice, although getting crowded too. It is a seperate city from Pasadena. It has small town charm, good schools, nice architecture.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 78,364 times
i lived in Pasadena 30 yrs ago . I moved back east were i am from . I still miss the my couple of years i had there and i am trying to get back to live the rest of my life in that wonderful weather ! I miss the morning light , there is nothing like it in the world. Early spring morning light...

Old 10-30-2006, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,165 times
Default stay in boise

Hey stay in boise, LA is a old dirty looking city, not a safe place to hang
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles