U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 26,105 times

Advertisements

I hoping that I can get some feedback from forum members on my situation.

My girlfriend and I will be relocating to LA for work purposes. We are looking for an apartment in an area that will meet the following criteria, in order of importance:

1. Safe for a female to be out alone at night
2. Within walking distance of the ocean
3. Within 30 min commute of 11000 Olympic Blvd, LA
4. Easy airport access
5. Nice restaurants and night life

We have a combined income of aprox. 175K and are in our late 20s with no kids. Through our research its seems as if Santa Monica fits the bill the best, but would anyone recommend anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,709,484 times
Other info that would help, renting or buying? If so what is your comfort zone on monthly rent or housing price?

Other than that, you gave the forum lots of good info....You will probably get some really good replies. (I am not an expert on those areas but there are tons of members who are.)

Old 12-01-2007, 06:18 PM

we are looking to rent for the first few years, as we adjust to the area. looking to spend $2500ish for a 1-2 bedroom.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:52 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontransplant View Post
we are looking to rent for the first few years, as we adjust to the area. looking to spend $2500ish for a 1-2 bedroom.
You can lease a new apartment in the 2500 range in the downtown santa monica area. Are you looking for beach access or just along the beach?
I ask that because santa monica beach isnt very good for surfing etc.

Santa monica has a bike bath that runs along the sand and also a park on top of the bluffs overlooking the beach & PCH. You may want to look at apartments along Ocean Ave on the northern end of santa monica as well.

Check craigslist.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,704,582 times
Santa Monica would be your best option. Marina del Rey is a second option.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:56 AM

7,843 posts, read 14,707,294 times
I personally enjoy Marina Del Rey and Manhattan Beach. There are both within 10-15 minutes of LAX. Marina del Rey is filled with tons of condos and apartments for rent. When my grandparents stayed there for a month visiting me in nearby Playa Del Rey, they walked all over the area. They would walk along Washington Blvd and either get a bagel in the morning, walk to the beach, get an ice cream at Coldstone's, have fantastic mexican food, get coffee, and do everything they wished within walking distance. If you like to ride bikes, Venice Beach is only a 5 minute bike ride away along the amazing bike path.

In Manhattan Beach, it is mostly single family homes, but in your price range, you could definitely find something. MB is quite family orientated, although the downtown manhattan beach is quite active. Not in the terms of party life, but there are always people walking down the streets either shopping, meeting someone for lunch, walking their dogs or children, taking a jog, or just casually strolling along the bike path looking at the Manhattan Beach pier.

Playa del Rey is also a nice area, but there's not much going on here. It's more for families. That's why I live here, my parents moved here and I'm still in high school.

Santa Monica is definitely the Beverly Hills of coastal areas, and is the most lively. Marina del Rey comes in second for that. Manhattan Beach is more of a family place.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:27 AM

I'd like to be able to walk to surf.

How is the commute from Manhattan Beach to the 10,000 - 12,000 area of Olympic Blvd during rush hour?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:55 PM

7,843 posts, read 14,707,294 times
It's not going to be too bad from Manhattan Beach. 10000 Olympic Blvd is in Century City. You are very lucky to be working there...I envy you! The commute would take about 1 hour one way on a bad day. On a normal day, maybe between 30-45 minutes. That's not bad at all.

Manhattan Beach has some of the best surf in LA. There is one area called El Porto, and I consider that THE best place in LA to go surfing. It is packed with surfers all day every day. There are some people that go down there at like 5:00 am before work. The whole stretch from El Porto in the north (roughly at the intersection of 45th street and where Vista Del Mar turns into Highland Ave.) down south to Hermosa Beach is good for you as the beaches are great there. Anything farther south than Hermosa will make a hell of a commute.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:26 PM

920 posts, read 2,596,138 times
You also might want to check out Hermosa Beach, the town just south of Manhattan Beach.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:48 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,528 times
If you can deal with the commute from the el porto region of manhattan beach to century city each day, I would say go for it if you can find something west of highland so its an easy walk to the beach.
Try and look at the northern section of manhattan/el porto. It will make it slightly easier on the commute. You would need to get creative in your route to and from work as that will help.

Personally, I dealt with the brentwood to manhattan beach commute and grew very tired of it. Now I will go there on weekday evenings about 2-3 times per month, but it is worse and worse. With all the major development going on a playa vista, it will only get more conjested.

Porto has very easy access to LAX, 5 minute drive to manhattan pier which has restaurants, bars, shopping etc. Your also pretty close to sepulveda where there is a shopping mall.

I agree with Jesse above. Surf in manhattan is great as it's consistant. In santa monica your closest break will be Topanga, which is a great break but its generally small and crowded. (I dont recommend venice) Manhattan also has a bike path so you can ride home in the evenings if you prefer after dinner. Very enjoyable lifestyle.

I know people seem to enjoy the marina del rey area, but I have not found anything of any interest there. lincoln blvd is crowded on weekend and its an older dirty looking blvd, the beach down there is a kiddy pool and the rest is boat slips. Unless you own a boat, are retired, or enjoy the ocean for views only, i wouldnt bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles