Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:28 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Santa Monica has had a plastic bag ban for several years now. And I refuse to pay the 10 cents per paper bag, as required by law.

So instead, I carry a (folded up) canvas bag in a pocket at all times. Several times a week, when I pass a Vons or Whole Foods, I shop. I buy only as many items as will fit into that one canvas bag.
I guess that's just odd to me. I've always just bought groceries once a week. I keep canvas bags in my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I lived in the Hollywood Hills as a kid (1970s). Yes, it was arguably far more affordable than it is today. Please do not interpret that as cheap living. I remember they filmed a lot in the area, and there were lavish parties here and there.

Hippies were in Laurel Canyon.
I grew up one canyon over from Laurel (born 1958). I know for a fact that houses in the area could be had for less than $30K; and while the more modest examples of houses built in that era weren't particularly large by contemporary standards, they were still considerably bigger than your average postwar tract home in the SFV or the flats of West L.A. When you remember that in the 1950s $10K was a good salary and $20K would be considered outstanding, it's not surprising that the owners of these houses were much the same sort then as now--well established professionals like doctors and lawyers, or corporate folks well on their way up the ladder. The glitziest residences, as always, were usually owned by celebrities or wildly successful entrepreneurs. Granted, $30K in 1955 was less daunting than the $1M such a property might cost today, it was still high. There weren't many ordinary working people who could buy in.

Having said that, a caveat is in order: Back in the day there was probably more variety available in terms of features, trim, and size, so there were probably a greater number of relatively inexpensive homes. I think this was especially true in Laurel Canyon, because many of the houses were quite small and very old, having originated as getaway cabins in the woods.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
But if 10k was a good salary back then and homes were less than 30k that was still less than 3x a years salary . Now a good salary for LA might be 100k , but the homes in that are are a lot more than 300k .

I know my grandparents lived in laurel canyon and then in Brentwood on teachers salaries .. Just don't see that happening today .

Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Nationally salaries haven't kept pace with inflation, let alone rising costs of homes. My brother's house in the suburbs in Ohio was built in 1962 and sold for $13,000 back then iirc. When he bought it last year it was $108,000. This is just the reality of owning a home now. It's a less attainable dream to own a home and live a comfortable life in the middle-class. Everything is more expensive and salaries are crap.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Nationally salaries haven't kept pace with inflation, let alone rising costs of homes. My brother's house in the suburbs in Ohio was built in 1962 and sold for $13,000 back then iirc. When he bought it last year it was $108,000. This is just the reality of owning a home now. It's a less attainable dream to own a home and live a comfortable life in the middle-class. Everything is more expensive and salaries are crap.
Yeah this is why you are seeing people start their own business. It seems like there are a ton of consultants now...I doubt there were nearly as many a decade ago for example.

For some companies revenue employee is over $1,000,000 per employee .

With the right marketing skills, it seems it's possible for many people to make double or more what they currently make working for someone else.

Facebook just bought WhatsApp for $19billion.. One of the founders (whom is now a billionaire) applied to work for Twitter and Facebook in 2009 and got turned down!

I think more and more people will realize that with today's technology they are able to work for themselves. I think the new healthcare law will change things to, it seems like healthcare was a big obstacle for most people.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But if 10k was a good salary back then and homes were less than 30k that was still less than 3x a years salary . Now a good salary for LA might be 100k , but the homes in that are are a lot more than 300k .

I know my grandparents lived in laurel canyon and then in Brentwood on teachers salaries .. Just don't see that happening today .
Wow. Movie stars like Joan Crawford, Tyrone Power, Gary Cooper lived in Brentwood. It's so hard to believe that middle class people could live there. I met a lower income woman in Pasadena who said told me that she grew up in Sta Monica. She told me that it was once middle class too.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times
Again, though, keep in mind that these places were rather different in the 1950s, given the wide variety of available houses. My family's house wasn't that different from a typical tract home in Carson or Gardena, except that it was larger; by contrast, houses built in those areas today tend to be upscale in every way--size, style and appointments. Old houses that come on the market are, as far as possible, brought up to that standard, before being resold--unless they're torn down and replaced.th

Regarding film stars, the paparazzi weren't what they are today. Celebrities could live in those areas without needing walls and guards just to protect their privacy.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Wow, what a story!! did you mean "Mayor Bradley" (Tom) or Major Bradley (Omar)?

What would cause such an enormous price increase? when I was a kid back in Texas, I remember that Johnny Carson mentioned that there were a lot of Persians in the area (circa early 80s), but now that I live here, I realize that he was probably referring to Beverly Hills, Westwood and Brentwood.
Yes, Mayor, not Major Bradley.

Oh yes even then we had many Persians. When we packed up and left LA to move south, a Persian guy bought the house and another Persian got the office.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
This was my friend's house before she sold it a few years ago. You can see that there was a big jump in proce from 1996 to 1999. It's a pretty cool house.

8601 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90069 | MLS# 10-483655 | Redfin

Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM

223 posts, read 523,834 times
Back then it was normally a single earner too. I know the first house my Mom lived in, in Highland Park back in the 60's I think? Husband was a flower shop owner. A lot of the famous Dodger players lived on the same street. Supposedly husband won big in Vegas and was able to pay for most of the house that way. I think the house was around $20k. I know she said before he gambled it away she wanted a mink coat and got one that night.

I grew up in Glendale and knew one of the current Dodger players lived down the street in a Condo. A lot of celebrities now live in Glendale. And those prices are starting to look crazy as I see prices soar again. The Game who lives 2 blocks from my High School is selling for $1.9mil. Across was some band and Nicole Ritchie and Lohan were always there.

This would be considered an affordable area only a decade ago.

I can't begin to imagine a place like Hollywood Hills which is sort of in the center of everything to do in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles