Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I think you might be oversimplifying the issue, buddy.
What's complicated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
As I stated in a previous post, I am not on either side of this issue.
I would just like to see it resolved permanently, once and for all.
One item I would like to comment on, I took from post number #31

Quote:
Therein lies the rub the opponents can't get around. Having gone down the wrong road and arguing that the firearm is the problem, they ignore the fact that it is the human, not the firearm that causes the problem. If they dared to acknowledge that human interaction is required to create the hazard, they find themselves in a position to judge people and that is a fatal flaw in their arguments. What happens is that everyone else then sees their ultimate goal, the control of people, the laws and restrictions on firearms being only the means to an end.
True, the firearm in of itself is not the problem, but does remain the catalyst.
Guns do not kill is not a correct statement.
Guns DO KILL when the trigger is pulled, and if the trigger is not pulled, they don't kill.
Sure, it takes a live being, or some other device to pull that trigger, and that happens to many times in our society, for whatever reason.
So who, or what do we eliminate, the gun that won't kill unless activated by someone, or something, of do we eliminate the right for anyone to possess a gun, or allow gun ownership?
Again,, guns by themselves do not kill anything, it is the mechanism holding the trigger of that gun that allows the gun to kill.
So in fact what we have is a killing machine, that kills, if activated.
So what is the solution?

A gun could sit in a desk drawer for centuries, undisturbed, until someone finally decides to take it out and fire it.
In the desk it is useless.
In the hands of the human holding it, it becomes a lethal weapon.
One way or the other we folks not only have a decision to make, but must live with that decision.
So which will it be.
Remove the guns from society, or allow them.
That is pretty "black and white".
If they are allowed by court decree, laws protecting ownership, and use have to be strict.
Certain segments of society must never have access to them, and how would that be accomplished?
I sure don't have an answer to that one.
Suppose the supreme court ruled that the 2nd amendment was to vague in it's directive, and put forth it's own interpretation, and made it the law of the land, stating that the intent of the founding fathers was meant soley for a militia, and not the general public.
At this point, all guns would have to be surrendered, and in it's place tough penalties for being in possession of a gun.
In this case the punishment would have to be the deterrent, so it would have to be extremely tough to the point no one would dare possess one.
So that is the case, in black and white.
It is impossible to please everyone, and on either side of the argument the risk of chaos is inevitable.
What ever the ruling, it would be the law of the land, and would have to be respected as such.
I just wish the court would finally make a permanent ruling on this issue.
Bob.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:02 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
It's always been funny to me how the people who most aggressively demand the 2nd Amendment be adhered to are always the ones who skip right over that militia part.
Many gun rights advocates do NOT skip over that part. Why should they? The "well organized militia" is not a limitation on gun ownership, but an ADDITIONAL RIGHT.

The key to understanding the Second Amendment is that the right to keep and bear arms belongs to the PEOPLE. That's the word used in the Amendment. NOT militia, or state, or national guard. The Amendment is talking about the PEOPLE's right.

This is no small thing. The Constitution will sometimes say "citizens," sometimes "persons." Not the same thing. It will sometimes say "people," sometimes "state." Not the same thing. These word choices are not random. They have specific meanings.

The right to keep and bear arms belongs to the PEOPLE. Why? So that that PEOPLE (not the state) can form well-organized (PRIVATE) militias.

That may cause heart palpitations among some people today, but it's what the Founders had in mind. (Yes, I went to law school -- and passed two bar exams -- long ago.)

Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Militias for what? We have the US armed forces to protect the nation. They train you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

The right to keep and bear arms belongs to the PEOPLE. Why? So that that PEOPLE (not the state) can form well-organized (PRIVATE) militias.

That may cause heart palpitations among some people today, but it's what the Founders had in mind. (Yes, I went to law school -- and passed two bar exams -- long ago.)

Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Militias for what? We have the US armed forces to protect the nation. They train you there.
I would hope there would be a militia in case the US gov't decides to act violently against it's own citizens. It has happened in other countries and is happening right now in the middle east. Having a militia to fight back against such tyranny here keeps us from becoming sheep in a slaughter house.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post

Was that comment in jest?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I would hope there would be a militia in case the US gov't decides to act violently against it's own citizens. It has happened in other countries and is happening right now in the middle east. Having a militia to fight back against such tyranny here keeps us from becoming sheep in a slaughter house.
Oh OK I get where your coming from. That's exciting stuff, just like the movies! Can I take part too in this civil war too? I want to reinforce my Grand Marquis with steel panels and cut a hole in the roof where I'd have one of those guns that swivel around in a 360.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 AM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Many gun rights advocates do NOT skip over that part. Why should they? The "well organized militia" is not a limitation on gun ownership, but an ADDITIONAL RIGHT.

The key to understanding the Second Amendment is that the right to keep and bear arms belongs to the PEOPLE. That's the word used in the Amendment. NOT militia, or state, or national guard. The Amendment is talking about the PEOPLE's right.

This is no small thing. The Constitution will sometimes say "citizens," sometimes "persons." Not the same thing. It will sometimes say "people," sometimes "state." Not the same thing. These word choices are not random. They have specific meanings.

In your statement above, how do you know for sure the "people" referred to in the amendment were not the "people" of the militia, but ordinary citizens?
Sounds to me like you are picking and choosing what you want to believe, and that's fine, because the amendment is so vaguely written, it is open to all kinds on interpretation.
I happen to believe it was directed at the people that comprised a militia, and not the general public.

Bob.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:19 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
I'm not a gun nut, and I don't have an NRA membership. I don't see why those on the left care so much about gun rights for those on the right.

I only care about guns getting into the hands of criminals, and into the hands of the mentally unstable. Maybe the laws should focus on that, instead of all these blanket laws that have a huge effect on law abiding citizens.
Could not have said it any better myself!

In time of peace, people seem to find a way to focus on either wrong issues or focus on the right issues from a wrong angle.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-21-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 01:22 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post

These California nanny laws never have the intended effect that they originally seek out to fulfill. Just ask Oakland California which is #3 in the country for violent crime, yet is in the state with some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country.
Oakland's the exception, though.

None of the other 10 largest California cites (pop 400,00 or more) is in the top 25 nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles