U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:24 PM

10,087 posts, read 14,342,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
There Might Not Be Enough Trains for the New Gold and Expo Line Extensions to Open on Time - Overextension - Curbed LA

I think the priority is to open and operate Expo 2 first. I also think that Gold Foothill line will be done slightly sooner than Expo but you cant operate both if there are not enough train cars for people to get on. I guess you can operate both but instead of every 6-12 minutes it will come every 12-20 minutes. So Expo will open first while the finished Gold line waits for cars but will sweep up piles of dust and dirt and say "under construction"
Long head ways is the death knell for new transit lines. The Foothill Extension is already going to be very low ridership (it's being built mainly as a political maneuver to get the SGV on board with Measure R) so if it only is able to come every twenty minutes, that could bode very poorly for the line's busyness.

Hopefully they get it worked out!

As far as why the Expo is taking longer, it probably has more to do with track length, number of grade separated crossings and the density of the surrounding neighborhoods. It is easier to build a train through the mostly light industrial areas around the 210 than to push a line right through the middle of the Westside's most urban neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 07:44 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,493,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I think the priority is to open and operate Expo 2 first. I also think that Gold Foothill line will be done slightly sooner than Expo but you cant operate both if there are not enough train cars for people to get on. I guess you can operate both but instead of every 6-12 minutes it will come every 12-20 minutes. So Expo will open first while the finished Gold line waits for cars but will sweep up piles of dust and dirt and say "under construction"
Foothill will be finished earlier for sure... the tracks are already done, all the intersections and bridges are done, and testing is being conducted. Expo at this point is still building tracks and crossings. If Foothill weren't intended to open first, Metro wouldn't be testing already. Expo is still at least a good few months if not more than half a year away from where Foothill is right now (clearance testing). Kiewit-Parsons seems to work a lot faster than Skanska, as well.

My guess is that there will be enough old and new train cars for decent headways by the time Foothill is ready (Dec 2015 - Jan 2016). Expo will open half a year after Foothill, and there will be enough old and new cars for that line by then.

I don't think Foothill is expected to have 6-min headways all day long anyway. There could just be enough cars if Metro does some smart scheduling.

Last edited by genjy; 12-13-2014 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 01:03 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,686,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It sounds like West Angeles Church will soon have more money than God if they don't already.

Crenshaw Line Windfall for Area Church? - Curbed LA

" West Angeles Community Development Corporation nonprofit, "together with the 25,000-member West Angeles Church that it's affiliated with, own about a dozen acres of land on the proposed transit line.""

Can't imagine value of a dozen acres , if even one acre is worth so many millions in L.A
The City should snatch that property using eminent domain and pay them next to nothing. What is with these churches hoarding land when so many are in need of places to live in Los Angeles?

Old 12-14-2014, 04:09 PM

822 posts, read 1,141,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The City should snatch that property using eminent domain and pay them next to nothing. What is with these churches hoarding land when so many are in need of places to live in Los Angeles?
The church bought the property years ago and built a church. If they can sell and make a profit more power to them. What's the difference when a Jew does the same thing, even if its in the 'hood? Nothing at all. Somehow when the Jew does it its called business and kosher all of a sudden. Your bias is amazing. I hope the church rapes the city of money. Get all they can.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:02 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,686,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
The church bought the property years ago and built a church. If they can sell and make a profit more power to them. What's the difference when a Jew does the same thing, even if its in the 'hood? Nothing at all. Somehow when the Jew does it its called business and kosher all of a sudden. Your bias is amazing. I hope the church rapes the city of money. Get all they can.
We can agree to disagree. Where did I mention anything about Jews having land in the hood? It's wrong when ANY non tax paying entity hoards this land, a precious resource in So Cal.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:45 PM

9,303 posts, read 5,320,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They bought the land fair and square when other large land owners abandoned the area. You are talking about an area with much vacant land since the Watts Riots years before some Blackstone Rangers moved from Chicago to form "The Bloods" and a decade before Boyz In Da Hood started fighting the Crack wars. The premier property, the Crenshaw Baldwin Hill Mall is next door to a lot which has been practically vacant since 1970. Further north, with south generally being short hand for worse in LA speak sits the West Angeles COGIC who found a charismatic leader and started to grow while other churches fail. So they bought land to accommodate their growth. Some is left over when it was decided to run a train through the area.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:27 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,740,349 times
So far since the line opened West LA near the Bundy and Barrington Stations are starting to gentrify, Palms area, and slso some new proposals near the La Cienega Station east of Culver City. Downtown Culver City was already gentrified when the station opened. Further East probably in the next decade.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:50 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,914,102 times
Wow, so interesting to read all the comments from 5 years ago before the phase 2 Expo line opened.
Over the 5 years, the bulk of the "gentrificaiton" was primarily near and around USC. With the new USC village with its Trader Joes and Target. Also the construction of LAFC stadium, the renovations of Memorial Coliseum, and the new Lucas Museum. Several apartment complexes near the university have been built and a controversial eviction building which would be torn and built new.
Western Ave Station hasnt seen much significant progress.
Crenshaw Station has seen quite a big of action. Some new complexes north of the Expo Line. The building of the Crenshaw line underground in the areas south of the Expo Line has several large proposals for housing/retail but I dont think anything has started yet, maybe due to the construction?
La Brea? not sure any
La Cienega Station. The large piece of land called Cumulus, just north of the station, started construction over a year/2 ago and will build retail, housing including a 30 fl residential tower. Here is a recent youtube video of the construction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCfnz6a36uM Also a 17 floor office building will be built just south of there. https://urbanize.la/post/fly-through...t-office-tower

Culver City Station has had the most construction over the past years.
2 large mixed used apartment complexes. https://goo.gl/maps/iWdH9wZyMzEXYY299 and https://goo.gl/maps/8bhUefhsjRb4LH2y9
Also across the street are some large mixed use mainly office or hotel/office/residential complexes.
1. Apple (Apple's plan to go the Netflix/Hulu route) is building offices near the station. https://urbanize.la/post/apples-new-...ing-topped-out
2. HBO is moving to the building across from Apple in the new large complex next to Culver city Station called Ivy Station . https://la.curbed.com/2019/4/3/18294...ty-ivy-station
https://urbanize.la/post/culver-city...continues-rise
3. Amazon (Netflix version not the warehouse jobs) is moving just a few blocks south in a new building complex. Called The Culver sTep Ithink https://urbanize.la/post/culver-step...makes-progress
PLus this expansion not far. https://urbanize.la/post/fresh-rende...lver-city-home

Palms and Westwood Station have not seen much near its station.
Westwood Station is near the Westside Pavilion which closed as a mall and will undergo a massive office conversion for Google. Google will lease the entire mall. https://urbanize.la/post/google-leas...-redevelopment

Sepulveda Station has a massive residential complex next to its station. https://urbanize.la/post/expo-line-a...nt-takes-shape

I know projects west of the 405 freeway are done or proposed. But I cant remember them.

For now, there is a massive office building and mid-highrise residential building near the Expo Line stations in the areas where buildings were big box stores or warehouses or light industrial usage. Good thing is there is still a lot of these type of buildings around around. I could see the big Target in Baldwin Hills torn down and a large apartment complex with a smaller city target like in Westwood or Downtown on the ground level. I think Western Ave is the weakest of the Expo Line stations. Mainly because it is very low income with not much space to develop a large project to jumpstart an area. It would take a lot of hipster types to move there, turn shop in a vegan restaurant. and another shop into cafe by day/lounge bar at night type of deal. Something like Highland Park where they didnt build new, just replaced the businesses that were there. Most of the other stations are building big and huge.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:46 PM

545 posts, read 380,592 times
It's definitely happening

real estate pricing along or near the line has boomed

Old 06-22-2019, 09:19 PM

12,526 posts, read 12,455,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I agree that the Westside for the most part isn't in need of gentrification.

I definitely think there will be a lot more higher density projects around the Expo line.
Yep, all this expo development is a honeypot for developers. Our tax dollars build the expo at the behest of city council, the developers get to build high rises, and the politicians get illegal pay-offs from the developers. And that's a swamp that needs drained...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles