Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 AM

134 posts, read 287,341 times

Advertisements

Is this likely to happen? What areas do you predict will be gentrified first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
Well most of the westside doesn't need to be gentrified (at least, as I understand the term), but I definitely would like to see some mixed-use activity around the Pico/Sepulveda station (which there already is a large project for). In fact, Pico Blvd in general could be really great in that area.

At the Palms station, it's primarily residential, so I wouldn't expect much retail activity here, except for the intersection of Palms/National which could be developed better along certain corners of the intersection.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
I agree that the Westside for the most part isn't in need of gentrification.

I definitely think there will be a lot more higher density projects around the Expo line.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:29 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,290 times
I think Westwood and Sepulveda are the stations to look at more than the Santa Monica ones. Those were the stations people were fighting so hard against and they may end up being the best ones.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 PM

546 posts, read 817,713 times
I work in downtown LA and the other day two tourists from Japan asked me how to catch the Big Blue bus to downtown Santa Monica. I know that bus picks up SOMEWHERE in dowtown but I honestly was not sure where.

I can't wait until I can simply answer, "Oh yes, you want jump on the Expo line at Fig and 7th. It will take you directly to downtown Santa Monica."

Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
I work in downtown LA and the other day two tourists from Japan asked me how to catch the Big Blue bus to downtown Santa Monica. I know that bus picks up SOMEWHERE in dowtown but I honestly was not sure where.

I can't wait until I can simply answer, "Oh yes, you want jump on the Expo line at Fig and 7th. It will take you directly to downtown Santa Monica."

Oh yes , a glorious day that will be. I'm more excited by the prospect of never driving to Santa Monica again. I also don't have to deal with traffic driving out of Santa Monica. Lastly, It will be easier for tourist to access the Westside and get them off the road. Expo line will be a major quality of life improvement for the entire city of LA!

Edit: Watch out for development in the Crenshaw district. They are building a Target right across the street from the Expo Station. The Expo/Crenshaw station will also be a major transfer point for people going to or from LAX or South LA on the Crenshaw/LAX line. There are many lots that are ripe for development which are owned by West Angeles Church that could be used to build housing.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Oh yes , a glorious day that will be. I'm more excited by the prospect of never driving to Santa Monica again. I also don't have to deal with traffic driving out of Santa Monica. Lastly, It will be easier for tourist to access the Westside and get them off the road. Expo line will be a major quality of life improvement for the entire city of LA!
Agree with all that you said. It really will finally give LA a solid basic framework of rail transit (esp with the Regional connector coming). No doubt there are other key lines to add but the Expo Phase II will really add a new dimension for sure.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM

300 posts, read 438,551 times
The expo line runs through a currently gentrified "westside" area. You may look at the areas closer to the east end (LaBrea to USC).

What you will see on the west end are more multi-use residential condo/apartments like the builings at 10th & b-way and 23 & colorado. That area is prime! Snata monica wil be the top "small city" in the nation within five years.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM

I know the OP asked about gentrification. But the city of Santa Monica just approved this mixed-use development near one of the Santa Monica stations.

http://la.curbed.com/tags/expo-line-phase-ii

So can somebody tell me the latest projected opening date for Phase II? Late 2015? or do we have to wait until 2016?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post

Edit: Watch out for development in the Crenshaw district. They are building a Target right across the street from the Expo Station. The Expo/Crenshaw station will also be a major transfer point for people going to or from LAX or South LA on the Crenshaw/LAX line. There are many lots that are ripe for development which are owned by West Angeles Church that could be used to build housing.
It sounds like West Angeles Church will soon have more money than God if they don't already.

Crenshaw Line Windfall for Area Church? - Curbed LA

" West Angeles Community Development Corporation nonprofit, "together with the 25,000-member West Angeles Church that it's affiliated with, own about a dozen acres of land on the proposed transit line.""

Can't imagine value of a dozen acres , if even one acre is worth so many millions in L.A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles