Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,425 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, first post here.

Just moved out to the Garvanza area from northern California (East bay to be exact) for work .. most LA folk are unaware themselves of where Garvanza is at, so I just say Highland Park now.

Here's a picture for reference

I've only been here for 5 days, but it seems generally pretty safe, and where I live borders South Pasadena and old town pas is only a 5-10 minute drive for me.

the location seems prime to many other prime locations, but does this area have a lot for a 25 yo single guy such as myself? I enjoy the dive bar scene, and sports of course , but my small pocket area seems kinda dull outside of chinese restaurants and clothing stores.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i was unaware of a neighborhood called 'garvanza'. however, after looking at the location on google maps, it's nestled between eagle rock, pasadena and south pas, all of which are considered desirable areas. seems fine to me, although maybe a bit sleepy. however, i've heard york blvd is up and coming. also, if you're close to a gold line station, you can easily access old town pasadena and some of the more interesting parts of downtown (i.e. arts district).

Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS21 View Post

Just moved out to the Garvanza area from northern California (East bay to be exact) for work .. most LA folk are unaware themselves of where Garvanza is at, so I just say Highland Park now.

I've only been here for 5 days, but it seems generally pretty safe, and where I live borders South Pasadena and old town pas is only a 5-10 minute drive for me.

the location seems prime to many other prime locations, but does this area have a lot for a 25 yo single guy such as myself? I enjoy the dive bar scene, and sports of course , but my small pocket area seems kinda dull outside of chinese restaurants and clothing stores.

Thoughts?
That seems like a tiny hood. Aren't you a five min bike ride (or 20 min walk) from all the stuff on York and Figueroa?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
It looks like you put your new hood on the map for even the locals, I'll still call it Highland Park

Old 02-21-2014, 12:42 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS21 View Post

Thoughts?
First time I've ever heard of it. But if you like it...

[roll with it]

Old 02-21-2014, 07:26 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
I had no idea this existed, thanks, OP, for a little snippet of education. Being in close proximity to Pasadena is always a good thing, as long as your 'hood is safe, but isn't this something you should have wondered about before you made the move? In any event, it's hard to say either way since we don't know the types of things you like to do. Tell us some more about what your interests are and we'll be better-equipped to tell you if you've made the right choice or not.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM

546 posts, read 817,443 times
That is interesting. LA Times mapping project mentions Garvanza as part of Highland Park.

I have a freind who lives just across the freeway from "Garvanza" in Montecito Heights. He owns a condo up in the hills and likes it a lot. It is peaceful/quiet but also close to lots of action (Downtown LA, Pasadena, etc).

Highland Park Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM

401 posts, read 767,291 times
Garvanza is basically a neighborhood.. an area.
There's nothing going on in Garvanza itself except for single family residences.
You are nice and close to alot of stuff without the downsides of the hustle/bustle.
Pasadena, South Pas, Highland Park, Eagle Rock and a quick jump to DTLA.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:56 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
Grew up in Highland Park. Garvanza is just one part of Highland Park, but a really old and historic part. That map above looks like old Garvanza. A few blocks above Meridian Street it is now Pasadena City (San Rafael neighborhood). Starts around where the Church of the Angels is (it is really beautiful small church that looks like it belongs in the English countryside). That used to be part of Garvanza until it was annexed. Garvanza north is now bordered by the expensive area of west Pasadena, along the 110 and Fig, but was really one really nice large area in the past. Not much has changed over the past 30 years I have lived in the area. Large sections are in HPOZ so you wont see any ugly renovations or McMansions anytime soon. There are a lot of very beautiful Victorian and Craftsman, also many "ugly" postwar apartments that sit side by side beautiful 100 year old buildings. Garvanza is really nice and better if you learn a little history of the area and buildings.

For the most part, this part of HLP is safe. Gangs were never much of a problem in this part of HLP. Lots of crime in the 80s and 90s and even nicer parts had crime and burglary. Many homes put up bars on their windows and doors and iron fences around their yards. Slowly people are starting to remove them, but many will still keep them up despite historic low crime rates everywhere. I often walk around from Judson Studios to Ave 66 to Garvanza park and down 64 and people seem to take pride in their area. Not much traffic and many tree lined streets, but sidewalks are just broken up from these big old trees.

In terms of trendy shopping, dining and traffic. You happen to live in the more residential part of HLP. The scene has been mostly concentrated to parts of York between 50-54 and parts of Figueroa between Ave 54-60. It is slowly expanding in other parts but they are just more isolated. I think Starbucks is supposed to open sometime in the future next to Jack in the Box on York. Other than that, you are only a 5-7 minute drive on local streets from Old Town Pasadena if you want more nightlife. That eatery magazine Zagat recently spotlighted HLP's hip scene. Neighborhood Spotlight: Highland Park | highland park - Zagat.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
It looks like you put your new hood on the map for even the locals, I'll still call it Highland Park
I looked at an APT here, it's basically just Highland Park north. Not a lot going on in the area and not really walkable, so it was not a realistic option for us (plus we had been approved and were moving forward on the Pas APT so it was a little too late anyways).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles