U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:21 PM

144 posts, read 558,022 times

Advertisements

I think it all depends on what you need. I mostly use ATMs, so B of A is great because they have the most atms in socal. B of A also has the best online banking site but if go into the bank a lot i would stick with WaMu and Wells since b of a branches are crowded and service for the most is subpar compared with WaMu and Wells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 05:21 PM

636 posts, read 2,445,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
fudge,

don't go with bank of america! they are a nightmare with long lines in every branch and will nickel and dime you with fees.
agreed! Try Union Bank of California (not as many ATMs as BofA though)

Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 PM

31,396 posts, read 17,546,061 times
A new Wachovia bank opened about a mile down the street from my house and I ended up opening savings and checking accounts there right before New Year's, after being with WaMu for over 20 years. So far, they're pretty good. I unfortunately decided to leave WaMu after $1,000 disappeared from my accounts (even though I had my ATM card in my possession at the time), and I didn't like the way the phone customer service treated me, basically telling me that I should have been more careful about not leaving my ATM card lying around.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
another vote for WAMU

They are awesome. You get free checking, and with that free checking you get excellent customer service! We also have our mortgage through them and they've been great!
I'm assuming you're referring to being face to face with a teller? If so, I agree with you. When I banked with WaMu, the few times I had to actually transact business with a teller, I've always had a very pleasant experience.

HOWEVER, dealing with their telephone customer service is a whole different ball game, especially if you call the 800 number after hours. The few times I did (calling around 8:00 to 9:00 p.m.), I was connected to a call center in the Philippines, speaking with people who had NO CLUE whatsoever of how banking in this country works. It's best to call WaMu customer service during normal business hours, where you're likely to speak with an American customer service rep!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
Thanks a lot everybody! It's between Washington Mutual and Wells Fargo. We have both of those here, so I'll check them out. I only want a checking account, so that should be simple.

Thanks!
If you're still reading this thread, what did you end up doing? Which bank did you go with? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM

54 posts, read 300,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to being face to face with a teller? If so, I agree with you. When I banked with WaMu, the few times I had to actually transact business with a teller, I've always had a very pleasant experience.

HOWEVER, dealing with their telephone customer service is a whole different ball game, especially if you call the 800 number after hours. The few times I did (calling around 8:00 to 9:00 p.m.), I was connected to a call center in the Philippines, speaking with people who had NO CLUE whatsoever of how banking in this country works. It's best to call WaMu customer service during normal business hours, where you're likely to speak with an American customer service rep!

That's very odd. I've called WaMu customer service 800# after normal business hours and have never had that problem.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM

142 posts, read 708,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
If you're still reading this thread, what did you end up doing? Which bank did you go with? Inquiring minds want to know!
I'm going to open an account with Washington Mutual. I was going to open it here in Texas before moving, but I think I'll wait and open it until I get there.

Thanks so much for everyone's input

Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin' View Post
That's very odd. I've called WaMu customer service 800# after normal business hours and have never had that problem.
I guess the old adage applies--YMMV. (Your Mileage May Vary.) Glad to know your experience with WaMu is better than mine, as far as speaking with the phone customer service.

P.S. Was the number you called (800) 788-7000? That's the number that instantly connected me to Manila.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I'm going to open an account with Washington Mutual. I was going to open it here in Texas before moving, but I think I'll wait and open it until I get there.

I think that's a good idea to wait until you move here to open your WaMu account. I understand that even though the bank has branches in different states, that the financial "platforms" (whatever that means) are different. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 PM

489 posts, read 1,785,445 times
Quote:

In case you may still be open to a suggestion, USBank has been amazing for me and they are expanding pretty quickly here. I have had very few problems with them and the customer service has been amazing, the few problems I have had were fixed quickly, most before we got off the phone. And it's nice because they have locations nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles