U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:46 PM

142 posts, read 708,994 times

Advertisements

Simple question... I will be moving to Los Angeles in July 2008, and I'm obviously saving money. Anyway, here in Texas I've had an account with Texas State Bank for about 10 years, but I know I'll need to open a new account once I'm in Los Angeles with a national bank (I actually want to open the new account with one of the national banks here that I can also access once I'm there). What banks are more common in L.A.? I need a bank that is national and that will have many branches and ATM's that are easy to find.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 PM

332 posts, read 2,022,894 times
Bank of America

Old 12-02-2007, 06:12 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,821,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
Simple question... I will be moving to Los Angeles in July 2008, and I'm obviously saving money. Anyway, here in Texas I've had an account with Texas State Bank for about 10 years, but I know I'll need to open a new account once I'm in Los Angeles with a national bank (I actually want to open the new account with one of the national banks here that I can also access once I'm there). What banks are more common in L.A.? I need a bank that is national and that will have many branches and ATM's that are easy to find.

Thanks!
Would a credit union work? I've never used a bank I have never had any problems (that I know of).

Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM

11,431 posts, read 16,916,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post

Thanks!
fudge,

don't go with bank of america! they are a nightmare with long lines in every branch and will nickel and dime you with fees. i liked wells fargo. as long as you maintain a form of direct deposit with them, they will not charge you any monthly fees. they are everywhere including many grocery stores,which makes it very convenient.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:28 PM

236 posts, read 1,061,647 times
WAMU!!! They're great

Old 12-02-2007, 11:05 PM

6,354 posts, read 15,810,464 times
I also have a Washington Mutual account.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,254,402 times
I like Wells Fargo - I've been with them for years. I used First Interstate, then they sold to Wells Fargo. I've had absolutely no problem. Stay away from B of A. Washington Mutual is good (or so I heard), but when you first open your account, they'll hold your funds for 14 days, Maybe all bank are like that.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 PM

142 posts, read 708,994 times
Thanks everybody!

Ya'll are great :-)

Old 12-03-2007, 10:13 PM

96 posts, read 378,311 times
Another vote for Wells Fargo, though some branches are nicer than others. (I still miss the Calabasas branch's superior customer service.) Not sure how much assets you have or if you invest in the stock market, but their Brokerage Account is great too. If you sign up for the PMA "package" (checking and savings as well), you get 100 free trades a year so long as the total amount of ALL your accounts - checking, savings, money market, and Wells Fargo Brokerage accounts - total $25K or more.

And if you sign up for the PMA package, you get interest on checking account, free stuff like money orders, AND you get to go in a special shorter line at the branches - worth the price of admission on busy days! Sorry if I sound like a salesperson, but once we pooled all our accounts into the PMA, we've saved a bundle and can't believe all the perks.

Another nice perk was that you no longer need to keep a minimum amount in your money market account to earn the top interest rate (you used to have to have $10K or more or they charged a $20 fee and dropped you down to the "regular" savings account interest rate). But because under PMA they consider ALL your accounts as a pool, they waive all those fees. This is great if you are self-employed (like us) and like to keep a few months cash on hand, but sometimes it drops below 10K.

hope that helps

Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 AM

54 posts, read 300,316 times
Everytime I've been in LA, I saw Washington Mutual banks on virtually every corner. That actually surprised me because in NYC, I have to hunt them down. I have an account with them because its the bank that's closest to my home but good luck finding one in Manhattan where I work.

I plan to stay with WaMu once I move to LA. I've never had any problems with them. I love that they don't charge a fee if your accounts dips below a certain amount. Most banks have minimum balances you must keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles