Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
This thread made me go to the Shakey's for the first time in probably 15 years, I'll be having the buffet again in the future.
We started going again about 3 years ago because my son's school has a fundraiser night there. That's the only time we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
This thread made me go to the Shakey's for the first time in probably 15 years, I'll be having the buffet again in the future.
I haven't been forever...how much is the Buffet?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 AM

555 posts, read 803,832 times
The Alhambra and Monterey Park locations haven't changed. As for quality, I remember it was delicious growing up. And while I still enjoy it, I can honestly say it's not as good as I remember it being. But I think that change has more to do with me (I grew up, ate out a lot more, and of course, tastes change with age) than with the food itself.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:25 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I remember being a real little kid, maybe 10 or 11 and going to Shakey's (30 yrs ago) and I remember it being good, I always liked those potato's they had, I forget what they are called but they were good.

I've been to a couple of different Shakey's locations over the last couple of yrs and I hate to say it, but the quality has just gone down the tubes, tastes wooden and cardboard like.

Sad because I have great memories going there as a kid.

I think the pizza pallor game has a lot of players in it and substandard places don't survive. I don't see a long future ahead for Shakey's, but who knows.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
I'll share this post and tell them my Shakey's thread is bringing old customers back to their restaurant! Maybe I get it for half off or even free if I am lucky. Then tell them to send you some coupons. LOL. I'll promise them a $5 tip if they give me a pizza and salad for free. Can't hurt to try? I am not a cheap skate though. Will try it regardless.

Enjoy!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:43 PM

107 posts, read 248,436 times
The Shakey's in Oroville was the first pizza place I ever remember going to as a kid. The mojos were always good, but it seems just not as fresh as they used to be. It still is my favorite Pizza, must have something to do with the sauce. Come on into Oroville and give ours a try!

Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I haven't been forever...how much is the Buffet?
$8.49 for the non lunch special in Torrance, pizza mojo, fried chicken, I got my money's worth.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I checked the Shakey's pizza website and the greater LA region is home to 36 of the remaining 55 Shakey's pizza restaurants. I was going to post this originally in Foods, but with so many of these restaurants in the LA area, it belongs here instead.

For background, Shakey's was my favorite as a child growing up in a suburb (Fridley) near Minneapolis, MN. Then when my family moved to San Jose, CA when I was 12, I was very excited to find out there was a Shakey's just a few miles from our new home. It remained my favorite for several years thereafter among the chains. The Stuft Pizza chain came close, but I always loved Shakey's the most.

I am not really interested in hearing from those that don't eat there. For those that do, how would you rate it? There is only one Shakey's in northern CA now and it is for some reason far away in the remote and lackluster town of Oroville, CA. They all just disappeared from the Bay Area region in the mid-late 90's. On my next trip to southern California I am planning to eat at a Shakey's pizza restaurant.

For those that still go there, is it still very good today? Is there a particular location you recommend?

Thanks!
For me Shakey's was also my favorite growing up. It was real good tasting.
But over the years this has changed. I thought it was only me...but I see
others feel the same. I've been in search ever since.
One time in Memphis, Tenn. I bought a couple of slices from a place called
Chicago Pizza. The guy was Italian . I ate one slice & ordered one to go.
The owner in a very serious tone said..."don't you put it in micro-oven"
I wasn't but I let him go on. That pizza was really good & reminded me
of the way it used to be... But heck...I'm not from Memphis...so I'm
still looking... Sorry I couldn't be of help....Good Luck to you.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
Try Stuft Pizza for parlor style pizza. I like the one in Rancho PV. I also like Pavich's pizza in San Pedro. They have a great Croatian style pizza.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
I rank it above Pizza Hut and Domino's. It's around Papa John's taste and quality levels, IMO. My favorite type of pizza at Shakey's is the chicken-topped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles