Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,161,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Moved away from them, so cant comment on how they are now, but: They sure bring back wonderful memories. They had one side with the guy dressed in the stripped shirt and straw hat playing the piano, my parents let us kids go to the other side and play grown up. Loved the green giant soda, to this day I have no clue what it was. It was way better than 7up, etc.

Plus, it was the only time my innocent mom drank, she had the beer. We had a blast when it hit her at home. She never forgave my dad for letting her sleep it off on the living room floor, after they danced till she sank down on her back. I'll never forget her graceful downfall, can still picture it over 40 years later . Gawd I miss my parents.
That memory of the guy with the striped shirt and straw hat playing piano also rings true as I remember it from the Shakey's in my childhood in Fridley, MN. They also had that at the San Jose, CA location the first few years we were there when my family moved, but they discontinued the piano man there around 1975 when I was 15 years old. That location stayed open until around 1990 or so as I remember.

I am guessing that giant green soda was Mountain Dew. Thanks for sharing the memories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,330,462 times
Interesting about the piano man and the former theme .

They should bring that back !

Old 03-07-2014, 08:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,805,200 times
The one in San Clemente (~1968) had signs hanging around the place written in Italian-accented English. Example: "You no toucha the icea boxa." That probably wouldn't work nowadays, because what kid knows what an ice box is?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,545,529 times
Thumbs up Ye old public house

I am so surprized no one has mentioned one of the best things about the Original Shakey's.

All you can eat Buncha Lunch.

Mojo potatos, fried chicken and pizza, well and salad.

During my High School and College football days we'd hit that at least once a week.

Buddy of mine hit it for lunch during hell week of two-a-day practices in August. He quite literally "left it all on the field".

Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 PM

Lol ... Maybe " you no toucha the HDTV" ?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,805,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

pizza,
I cropped out the stuff I ignored at Buncha Lunch.

I used to kill the Buncha Lunch pizza at the San Clemente store when I was working at the brickyard up the hill, after school and all day Saturday, and 6 days a week during the Summer. Between that place and the Orange Julius, I kept well nourished for all that hard manual labor.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:37 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,771,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I am so surprized no one has mentioned one of the best things about the Original Shakey's.

Post #20 and #27

Old 03-08-2014, 03:48 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,228,382 times
It was never great, at least not when I was kid. It was a joke, along with 'Me & Eds' pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I checked the Shakey's pizza website and the greater LA region is home to 36 of the remaining 55 Shakey's pizza restaurants. I was going to post this originally in Foods, but with so many of these restaurants in the LA area, it belongs here instead.

For background, Shakey's was my favorite as a child growing up in a suburb (Fridley) near Minneapolis, MN. Then when my family moved to San Jose, CA when I was 12, I was very excited to find out there was a Shakey's just a few miles from our new home. It remained my favorite for several years thereafter among the chains. The Stuft Pizza chain came close, but I always loved Shakey's the most.

I am not really interested in hearing from those that don't eat there. For those that do, how would you rate it? There is only one Shakey's in northern CA now and it is for some reason far away in the remote and lackluster town of Oroville, CA. They all just disappeared from the Bay Area region in the mid-late 90's. On my next trip to southern California I am planning to eat at a Shakey's pizza restaurant.

For those that still go there, is it still very good today? Is there a particular location you recommend?

I have no idea why they basically abandoned northern California, but they did. Mexico has four Shakey's pizza restaurants. LOL!

Any comments are welcome and specifics regarding what type of pizza they do best is welcome too! Thanks!

Old 03-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
It was never great, at least not when I was kid. It was a joke, along with 'Me & Eds' pizza.
People often seem to think of things as having been better in the past . Perhaps more a nostalgia or memories of experiences rather than the food itself.

Although there are challenges today I'm sure people in the future will look back fondly on this era too.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:42 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,188,146 times
Growing up, we went to Bruno's Ristorante in Mar Vista for piiza. That place was awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles