Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:28 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,396 times

Advertisements

We move into our room (renting a room from a friend) on March 1st. Just my wife and I. We only have 1 car for the time being. I have looked all over the web but can't find a straight up quote telling me how much it would a month. About how much do you guys pay for full coverage? FYI: 2001 PT Cruiser.

Also, since it wont even be documented that we are CA residents until we get our own apartment I think we'd be ok keeping the Indiana tags and Indiana Insurance. It covers us in all 50 states. I hear the insurance is out of this world in L.A. Right now we only pay about $70. a month.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 PM

153 posts, read 637,343 times
This may sound weird, but are/were either of your parents in the military? If so, you're eligible to get drastically reduced insurance through a special company. PM me if you or your wife have/had a parent in the military and I'll pass on the info.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:57 AM

My Grandpa was in WW2, does that count? i wish! Thanks for the info though.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 AM

830 posts, read 2,859,743 times
They just passed a law in California that requires insurance companies to not base rates on where you live, but I don't know when that takes effect or the specifics of the law.

When I first moved here I lived in Redondo Beach with a friend of mine. My insurance was almost identical to what I was paying back in Dallas. When I moved to West LA, just 15 miles due north of Redondo, my premium went up $400 per year. And that is the cheapest I have been able to find anywhere.

I currently pay about $1,200 per year on an 8 year old Nissan Maxima. It's insane really. I've tried all sorts of different coverage options, but even liability itself is close to $1,000 per year. So to me the incremental difference doesn't make it logical not to have full coverage.

By the way, I have a perfect driving record, no tickets, no accidents.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks! Well I found that our rates will go up about $25-35 dollars per month compared to Indiana. That's not bad, I thought it would double or something. We pay $80. mo now and it will go up to between 105- 115. I can handle that.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 AM

830 posts, read 2,859,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Thanks! Well I found that our rates will go up about $25-35 dollars per month compared to Indiana. That's not bad, I thought it would double or something. We pay $80. mo now and it will go up to between 105- 115. I can handle that.

That's about what I pay. I think it's typically cheaper for a married couple than it is for a single male. I guess they think you're more responsible or something when you're married. :-)

Old 12-06-2007, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 48,435 times
I live in metro Atlanta and our insurance is as bad as for Los Angeles residents. Our crazy traffic here is one reason LA didn't even faze me with the driving. It's nearly identical.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mr41h View Post
I live in metro Atlanta and our insurance is as bad as for Los Angeles residents. Our crazy traffic here is one reason LA didn't even faze me with the driving. It's nearly identical.
Yeah i expected way worse the first time I went to L.A. I am used to Indianapolis and Chicago and Detroit driving, L.A. has always been a breeze in comparison to these cities. L.A. had longer increments of stopped traffic though. At least L.A. doesn't close every other exit for repair (eg. Chicago). People drive fast on the 405, but it's nothing compared to I-65 north and south in Indy during rush hour. Indy is the home of the Indy 500 and it shows in their driving habits.

L.A. driving was a breeze.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:55 AM

33 posts, read 123,802 times
Insurance companies have fine print and insurance reps make errors. Be very careful in choosing a company and or a person to buy insurance from.

In the 90s I failed to pay a $25 uninsured motorist fee. The rep filled my mailing address in incorrectly. They tried to contact me 3 times by mail then cancelled my entire policy. I was in an accident 2 weeks later. They informed me after the fact via phone that I was not covered because I failed to pay a portion of the insurance policy, but they were still taking my monthly payments and had all my phone numbers. See Quackenbush

Old 12-09-2007, 03:36 PM

54 posts, read 312,499 times
As a newbie to owning a car, I'm sure it'll be a real shock to the system when I move to LA next year

What insurance companies would people recommend as being best or more reliable ?? Or most cost efficient ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles