Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times

Advertisements

This thread has been done before. But let's make a new one for 2014! Both areas are highly desirable. But which of these beach communities do you prefer to live in in case of food, amendities, location, traffic, nightlife and overall vibe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
Beach cities for me. It's more laid back. I like the beaches better. Less vagrants roaming around.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:16 AM

99 posts, read 569,899 times
Redondo: Too Torrance-like for me. Not what I think of in a beach community. The poorest of the beach cities. Too far removed from the rest of LA, too. Bland restaurants.

Hermosa: Too many recent college grads who still parade around in cliques, get drunk & roam the streets. Grown folks who still define themselves by their fraternity/sorority.

Manhattan: Impressive demographics. Great schools. Lots of athletes, but too expensive for a city with such horrible zoning and architecture. Nowhere else in LA Co will you find such a random hodgepodge of cracker box houses alongside McMansions too big for their lots & customs homes that are designed to look like tract homes. WTF?

Venice: If I have to see one more guy w/the typical, common, commercial, requisite - beard, tattoo, piercing, skinny jeans, I think I'm gonna puke. Knock-knock! The last time that was 'edgy' was the late 90s. Now it's just a ubiquitous trend. When will these Hipsters join their Emo counterparts in absentia?

Santa Monica: Probably my pick. A lot to do. More international than the others. Much better restaurants. More expansive beaches. Hipper than Redondo but not hipster like Venice. Good mix of families and singles. Nice architecture, from cozy bungalows to fancy condos, on up to all out mansions. Wonderful farmers' market. Some hilly areas. Convenient: 10 goes east/west, 405 north/south. Pretty much everything I need, but....

...If I have to run into one more got-damn, 'Namaste'-chanting Prius-driver, I'm gonna croak. ... If one more "peace & love hypocrite" tells me about positivity whilst lying behind my back... If I have to hear one more Vitamix chopping kale... If I have to see another chick off to Pilates in her Range Rover... If I have to spot another Osprey bag in the back seat of a Subaru... If I have to listen to another guy lie to himself to feel better & call it 'optimism'... If I have to hear yet another clueless "spiritual" person chant comfortable myths like, "The universe will provide" whilst innocent kids are starving and dying of HIV... If I have to catch one more guy sprouting his FRICKIN RAW ALMONDS in distilled water....

Oh, just shoot me now! :-D

Last edited by proteus; 03-05-2014 at 03:26 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 09:45 AM

513 posts, read 913,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
Redondo: Too Torrance-like for me. Not what I think of in a beach community. The poorest of the beach cities. Too far removed from the rest of LA, too. Bland restaurants.

Hermosa: Too many recent college grads who still parade around in cliques, get drunk & roam the streets. Grown folks who still define themselves by their fraternity/sorority.

Manhattan: Impressive demographics. Great schools. Lots of athletes, but too expensive for a city with such horrible zoning and architecture. Nowhere else in LA Co will you find such a random hodgepodge of cracker box houses alongside McMansions too big for their lots & customs homes that are designed to look like tract homes. WTF?

Venice: If I have to see one more guy w/the typical, common, commercial, requisite - beard, tattoo, piercing, skinny jeans, I think I'm gonna puke. Knock-knock! The last time that was 'edgy' was the late 90s. Now it's just a ubiquitous trend. When will these Hipsters join their Emo counterparts in absentia?

Santa Monica: Probably my pick. A lot to do. More international than the others. Much better restaurants. More expansive beaches. Hipper than Redondo but not hipster like Venice. Good mix of families and singles. Nice architecture, from cozy bungalows to fancy condos, on up to all out mansions. Wonderful farmers' market. Some hilly areas. Convenient: 10 goes east/west, 405 north/south. Pretty much everything I need, but....

...If I have to run into one more got-damn, 'Namaste'-chanting Prius-driver, I'm gonna croak. ... If one more "peace & love hypocrite" tells me about positivity whilst lying behind my back... If I have to hear one more Vitamix chopping kale... If I have to see another chick off to Pilates in her Range Rover... If I have to spot another Osprey bag in the back seat of a Subaru... If I have to listen to another guy lie to himself to feel better & call it 'optimism'... If I have to hear yet another clueless "spiritual" person chant comfortable myths like, "The universe will provide" whilst innocent kids are starving and dying of HIV... If I have to catch one more guy sprouting his FRICKIN RAW ALMONDS in distilled water....

I agree with you. I'd choose SM for the same reasons you do. 2nd would be Manhattan Beach, but I dislike the poorly zoning/McMansions next to little cottages thing and homes that are popping out of their lots.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM

360 posts, read 712,332 times
Redondo: This is the South Bay for families. I think of people who are settled down with kids living here. A bit too far away from everything for my taste. If I were a rich guy in his late 40s with a family, running my own business from home I'd consider living here.

Hermosa: A 180 of Redondo. Last time I went out on the Hermosa Pier, I witnessed 2 drunk college girls puking on the streets. On the weekend, you can see lines of recent college grads lining up to get into bars at night and drinking out of solo cups on the beach during the day. If you want to live with 24 year olds and hang out with people on bar crawls, this is your spot.

Manhattan: This is where all the rich people live who would be living in the suburbs in any other city. While it's very nice, it's too expensive for me. It's convenient to LAX, which has it's perks if you travel a lot. This beach, along with Santa Monica beach, are probably my favorites in LA. Beautiful? Yes. Would I ever want to live there? No. Also, parking is a nightmare.

Venice: This is where I currently live. It's definitely not for everyone. I love the grittiness of this part of LA. The vibe is chill and artsy. A good mix of old / young. Abbott Kinney & Woodward Circle brings out the tourists and locals. Not as perfected as South Bay or Santa Monica, which is why I like it. With the rise in popularity of Rose and on the boarder of Main St, this is probably my favorite spot in LA. It is a perfect blend of restaurants, bars, coffee shops, beach, art, music, etc...

Santa Monica: It's ok. I would rather live here than South Bay. It has everything you need and has a nice mix of adults and youth. It's a little to clean, neat and perfect for me. Expensive restaurants, brutal traffic and nightmare parking anywhere here without a permit. Also, everything seems cookie cutter here to me. Too many chain stores and not enough local support. I'd much rather go to a local coffee shop than another Starbucks that's on every corner. As I said before, I love this beach. 3rd St and the Pier are a little too touristy for me...there are far better places to live near in LA, in my opinion. We were debating between Venice and Santa Monica during out last move and picked Venice... we are glad we did.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:22 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,589 times
Quote:

Someone please...

Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:

LOL post of the century. Love it and you hit it right on the marker.

I'd pick Manhattan Beach of these 5.

Actually I take that back, I'll take El Segundo.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 AM

205 posts, read 409,169 times
Venice. West or Lincoln it can get pretty nutty. East of Lincoln and you have nicer simpler neighborhoods

Old 05-26-2015, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 16,002 times
I have lived in Venice, I currently live in Hermosa, and work in Manhattan.

Things I love about Venice that the Beach Cities lack: Raised vegetable beds on front lawns. Twinkle lights. Weird sculptures. Jasmine. Fun freaky weirdos who fly their freak flags loudly and proudly. Lots of cool bungalows.

Things I hate about Venice that the Beach Cities lack: Gangs. Fear of getting raped if I go jogging at midnight. Sad, hungry, homeless people everywhere. Too many lost souls. Filthy gutters. Skinny jeans on skinny bearded men.

Things I love about the Beach Cities that Venice lacks: Regular street sweeping. Jogging at midnight without getting raped. Manscaping. Pretty professional volleyballers out playing every day around the clock. Seeming wholesomeness.

Things I hate about the Beach Cities that Venice lacks: Yuppies who think their **** smells like roses. A ridiculous preponderance of Benzes, BMWs, Audis, and Lexii. People whose misplaced sense of entitlement encourages them to drive like *******s. Uninspired, cookie-cutter landscaping amongst the soul-less clones of McMansions.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:58 PM

987 posts, read 1,745,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalefaceWahine View Post
Skinny jeans on skinny bearded men.
Lol, also spotting those in DTLA

Quote:
Manscaping.
Lol, seen those too

Quote:
Things I hate about the Beach Cities that Venice lacks: Yuppies who think their **** smells like roses. A ridiculous preponderance of Benzes, BMWs, Audis, and Lexii. People whose misplaced sense of entitlement encourages them to drive like *******s
Preaching to the choir! One of my pet peeves are those jackholes driving like it's a damn speedway (Redondo Beach close to Hermosa comes to mind)....Where's the fire at? Geez....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles