Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,293 times

Advertisements

It's relaxing in the SG foothills because it's close to the mountains, just as how some areas in SFV and the basin near the SM foothills are desirable--the mountains are a natural barrier against the sprawliness and roads we have in the region. At least one side is the mountains, so you aren't completely surrounded on all four sides by development. Living near the ocean works kind of the same way.

And of course partly because the schools tend to be really good in the foothill areas... not all of the school districts are good, but even the iffy ones are relatively good compared to LAUSD.

And unlike most of the basin and some parts of the westside and SFV, the foothill cities (even Pasadena) aren't plagued by graffiti and trash. People seem generally more polite and considerate because the cities in the foothills do feel like small towns (because they were) and hold small town values.

The foothills area is also close to Asian stuff in the central part of the SGV. This is a plus for many because it means close proximity to unique and inexpensive Asian food, shopping, and activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
If they are poor , they are probably under rent control, no displacement, better education and potentially better future.
Exactly! This is why the argument that gentrification keeps out poor people is ridiculous, at least for L.A

Yes they are many cities that don't have rent control ,but L.A is one that does.

It's very hard to kick people out.

This is the reason there are so many run down or older apartment buildings in L.A...even in the 'nice' neighborhoods.

I don't believe in rent control and think it's a bad policy...I also believe it keeps rents higher and there is evidence for this... L.A,SF and NYC all have very strong rent control laws ...yet they have very expensive rents.

More people would have a better product at a lower more affordable price if rent control were done away with.

In regards to OP question... It's different strokes for different folks..

Not everyone wants to be near the Westside....even if they can afford it.

Some like that smaller town feel while being relatively close distance to "the action" if they choose to.

Not everyone wants to deal with the crazy traffic on the westside day to to day ,etc.

Also the Westside is definitely not the epicenter or 'cool' in L.A that it once was.

You would actually have a traffic ridden route to Silverlake and other hipster type areas living in La Canada versus the Westside.

Also Glendale has changed a lot in the past years along with Atwater Village .

You mentioned restaurants on the Westside..but I don't see that being where the most interesting places are opening today. It seems much more is opening up more "East" and especially in DTLA .

I don't think the restaurant 'scene' on the Westside is as significant as it had been in the past...and especially near the Ocean you have to filter through a lot of the low quality overpriced places that are more tourist traps. Which at least attracts the Tourists that don't know about Yelp..or chowhound.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
The good schools attract money, it just shows who has money. IF LAUSD could improve schools, could you imagine what might happen.
I think it might be more of a chicken and egg issue. Good public schools attract well educated people with high expectations for their kids. It's really not money, as can be seen in low ranking school districts that have a lot of funding in other areas (e.g. Azusa Unified). Students perform to the expectation of their parents and their peers. Teachers and administration are no worse in bottom ranking school districts, nor are they better in high ranking districts; they just have a different population with which to work.

Re: LAUSD... more parents would have to risk putting their kids into the local public schools. I believe that some of this has been tried in Pasadena Unified on the elementary level.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
It's relaxing in the SG foothills because it's close to the mountains, just as how some areas in SFV and the basin near the SM foothills are desirable--the mountains are a natural barrier against the sprawliness and roads we have in the region. At least one side is the mountains, so you aren't completely surrounded on all four sides by development. Living near the ocean works kind of the same way.

And of course partly because the schools tend to be really good in the foothill areas... not all of the school districts are good, but even the iffy ones are relatively good compared to LAUSD.

And unlike most of the basin and some parts of the westside and SFV, the foothill cities (even Pasadena) aren't plagued by graffiti and trash. People seem generally more polite and considerate because the cities in the foothills do feel like small towns (because they were) and hold small town values.

The foothills area is also close to Asian stuff in the central part of the SGV. This is a plus for many because it means close proximity to unique and inexpensive Asian food, shopping, and activities.
This is very true. There is some graffiti on the side of the under-construction school across the street, but other than that I have seen very little graffiti in Pasadena. Same with trash - which is surprising in some ways because there are so few street trash cans in the city.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Yeah that's one of the big problems in my area. Too much trash floating around and graffiti.

I've had to call Graffiti removal several times for different locations. My own back wall and sidewalk...Someone even tagged my neighbors gate..I reported it because he didn't report it...but i'm think he didn't see it because he parks in the back. It was brand new so I doubt he wanted graffiti on it..

I always try to report the stuff quick as I think it just encourages people to keep doing it.

They are pretty quick usually...that is one thing the city seems to get done quickly..but I know they actually have contractors do it rather than city employees...Probably why it gets done quick!

Old 03-07-2014, 04:43 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think it might be more of a chicken and egg issue. Good public schools attract well educated people with high expectations for their kids.
So why does Pasadena have terrible schools if it's such an attractive place to live?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:08 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
So why does Pasadena have terrible schools if it's such an attractive place to live?
This really surprises everyone when I tell them Pasadena has poor schools.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 PM

87 posts, read 133,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
pasadena has pretty large less desirable areas. Most of the kids I knew who lived in pasadena, who came from any means went to private schools, even cheaper private schools, over the pasadena public ones.

pasadena is a pretty large area actually, plenty of gang activity in certain parts.

Well. I would love to hear what a pacific palisade etc local would say. they dont have any graffiti there... what is LA like looking at it from that far west? isnt pacific palisades school district pretty good?

Old 03-08-2014, 06:47 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
pasadena has pretty large less desirable areas.
You're right. Much bigger city with a higher crime rate than the cities you listed initially.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
pasadena has pretty large less desirable areas. Most of the kids I knew who lived in pasadena, who came from any means went to private schools, even cheaper private schools, over the pasadena public ones.

pasadena is a pretty large area actually, plenty of gang activity in certain parts.

Well. I would love to hear what a pacific palisade etc local would say. they dont have any graffiti there... what is LA like looking at it from that far west? isnt pacific palisades school district pretty good?
No. Pacific Palisades doesn't have its own district. For some reason it wound up in LAUSD even though it would make more geographical sense if it was in the Santa Monica district.

Pasadena Unified was one of the first districts in California to have mandatory busing (along with Inglewood). The districts that had mandatory busing got ruined. In the case of LAUSD it had the double whammy of mandatory busing and Prop 13 coming simultaneously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles