Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:46 PM

12 posts, read 37,419 times

Advertisements

Dear all:

I am in my early 30s and have recently accepted a job near downtown LA. I am moving there this coming semester from the SF Bay Area/Berkeley. I am very excited about it, and I have been trying to choose among the following areas to move to: Silver Lake, Glendale, Los Feliz, Pasadena, South Pasadena, and Eagle Rock.

While at first I will be moving by myself, I am hoping soon my partner will be able to join me. Is it realistic to expect to find a nice 1 or 2BR place in any of these areas for around $2000? If it is not, what range ($$) would you suggest I should be looking for?

Walkability and safety are two big things for me. Out of the areas mentioned above, the only one I know personally is Pasadena, where I stayed for a few months near old town about four years ago, and I enjoyed it very much. How do the other areas mentioned compare to Pasadena in your view? Taking into account that I am coming from the SF Bay Area (and that I love it here), do you think the areas mentioned are good choices when it comes to settling in Southern California?

Any insight/considerations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you a lot in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 AM

23,317 posts, read 23,711,869 times
I would recommend South Pasadena or Pasadena (not some areas on the northwest side near the Rose Bowl). You can find a place for 2K. I am a Bay Area native who has lived in Pasadena, South Pasadena and La Crescenta (near north Glendale).

South Pasadena is very safe, with good schools and a small walkable downtown (on Mission Blvd). They also have a Metro Station on Mission Blvd (similar to BART).

South Pasadena also has a Berkeley "vibe", which is artistic, green, educated and of course liberal (although Berkeley is more liberal).

You would have a pretty easy commute to DTLA also.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the reply, ccm123! I will definitely look into South Pasadena!
Can you elaborate a bit on why you wouldn't recommend "some areas on the northwest side near the Rose Bowl" in Pasadena?

Thanks again!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM

There are some pockets of Northwest Pasadena that are pretty rough. You will immediately know once you are there. Other parts of Northwest Pasadena are completely fine and desirable.

The other areas you mentioned are also fine, for the most part. The northern part of Glendale (as well as La Crescenta and Montrose) would also be worth looking at. Generally nice, safe areas and a reasonable commute to DTLA. Montrose has a nice downtown shopping area, which is very walkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkm View Post
Can you elaborate a bit on why you wouldn't recommend "some areas on the northwest side near the Rose Bowl" in Pasadena?

Thanks again!

Last edited by ccm123; 03-09-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-09-2014, 03:17 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkm View Post

Thanks again!
Read these threads

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...northwest.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-pasadena.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ca-cost-5.html

Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,810,974 times
Check out Echo Park too. It's closer to downtown than Silverlake and I believe you could find great place in your price range. Park Drive and Morton Place have apartments with great views and the area is generally trending upward.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 PM

Believe me, think twice about Echo Park.

The demographics are telltale:

Echo Park, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-11-2014, 09:35 AM

Thanks, everyone! This is all extremely helpful.

I do have another couple of related questions, though, which are in a way much more subjective. I'd really appreciate any insight/advice on the following, especially from those who've lived in LA/Pasadena before and have a good idea of what the general cost of living there is:

1)How much, on average, would you say the monthly take home pay for a salary of $70k would be? Could I expect to take home, say, $3.5k? Is 4k too optimistic/unrealistic?

2)Given the likely take home pay, and taking into account the general cost of living in the area, what price range should I be aiming for when it comes to rent, so as to be able to live (minimally) comfortably? Is my initial goal of $2000/mo on that salary ($70k) a little too high given the relatively high general cost of living?

Initially I would be living on my own. But eventually the idea is that my partner would join me, at which time we might or might not have two incomes.

I'd appreciate any take on these questions. It is my first time living on a "real" salary (had been living on a grad student's fellowship before) in the LA/Pasadena area (and in California, for that matter), so any insight is very welcome. Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by bkkm; 03-11-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,781,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Believe me, think twice about Echo Park.

The demographics are telltale:

Echo Park, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No need to think twice about Echo Park. It's certainly not as clean-cut as Los Feliz or Pasadena but it is nothing to think twice about IMO and I've been there quite a few times late at night. Of course maybe 20 years ago or so it was a no-go zone.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM

341 posts, read 705,466 times
Los Feliz and silverlake will give the shortest commutes. Likely avoid freeways. But coming from Glendale , eagle rock, Pasadena you will have to hop on the 5, 2, 110 freeways. Although you could surface streets as needed. The point is to try and minimize commute times to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles