Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,840 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have a nightmare tenant. First off my building is a Los Angeles rent controlled building. So if anyone is familiar with these please post response(s).

Well this tenant is a pure nuisance. He smokes weed all day (which to me whatever) but some tenants complain about it because they have children. Which I totally can understand their dilemma.

Spoke to the police, they said to call them next time he is smoking weed and they would come over and speak with him. I asked police if they would write up a report and they said "NO". Because I need a police report to evict him.

He has many people over all the time: loud, disrespectful to my property, smoking weed, drinking, vomiting, fighting, etc. They cause disturbances.
Police have been over because he was beating up his girlfriend. When I showed up the police told me it was none of my business and yes knowing I was the landlord told me it was none of my business. Now I have heard from other tenants that he has beat his girlfriend up on more than one occasion.

So anyone who has experience in dealing with rent controlled property in los angeles what can I do?

My attorney said that it would be very very difficult to evict this tenant without a police report. He said in rent controlled properties that it is almost impossible to kick anyone out unless NON payment of rent.

What the hell? How is someone suppose to keep some form of decency in their building?

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
I'm moving this topic to the L.A. room since your property is there, and since people there may be aware of specific ordinances and laws in that area which may be of importance.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:43 PM

258 posts, read 443,234 times
You can by skunk hunting scent. Tell them you need to change the airconditioner filter. Put it on the new airconitioner filter, and it will make them leave. Trust me, but will have to pay for a hotel room, and it will take a few weeks to air the place out afterwards. Just type in hunting skunk scent in your search program, and huge list of websites will come up where you can buy it. They used it as a practical joke when I was in college, and it cleared out the whole hallway in the dorm I was in. You can also put rats in the attic, and they will think the place is haunted. The rats will scurry inbetween the walls, and freak them out. Best thing to do though is to put up a for sale sign, and tell them you will have to be showing the place on a regular basis, and need to have the housing inspector to come by a few times to check out the place. People hate their privacy being interupted on a constant basis. That will get them out usually. Just a few tips for those hated tentants.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:50 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Hello everyone!

I have a nightmare tenant. First off my building is a Los Angeles rent controlled building. So if anyone is familiar with these please post response(s).

Well this tenant is a pure nuisance. He smokes weed all day (which to me whatever) but some tenants complain about it because they have children. Which I totally can understand their dilemma.

Spoke to the police, they said to call them next time he is smoking weed and they would come over and speak with him. I asked police if they would write up a report and they said "NO". Because I need a police report to evict him.

He has many people over all the time: loud, disrespectful to my property, smoking weed, drinking, vomiting, fighting, etc. They cause disturbances.
Police have been over because he was beating up his girlfriend. When I showed up the police told me it was none of my business and yes knowing I was the landlord told me it was none of my business. Now I have heard from other tenants that he has beat his girlfriend up on more than one occasion.

So anyone who has experience in dealing with rent controlled property in los angeles what can I do?

My attorney said that it would be very very difficult to evict this tenant without a police report. He said in rent controlled properties that it is almost impossible to kick anyone out unless NON payment of rent.

What the hell? How is someone suppose to keep some form of decency in their building?

Thank you so much.
Not familiar with your particular area, but can you share the type of lease? There has to be a way to give them notice.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Not familiar with your particular area, but can you share the type of lease? There has to be a way to give them notice.
It is a month to month. His lease has expired and has turned into a month to month tenancy. This is a rent controlled unit in Los Angeles. I mean lease does state nuisance, people have the right to quiet and enjoyment thing, etc. But is there any other way to evict besides having a million witnesses (which is not going to work)????

Old 06-14-2009, 12:25 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post

Police have been over because he was beating up his girlfriend. When I showed up the police told me it was none of my business and yes knowing I was the landlord told me it was none of my business.
As stated, you are not telling us the truth about what happened. LAPD will not respond in the manner you state to allegations of domestic violence.

If in fact the officers did respond in the manner you state, you need to go to the station and file a complaint against the officers who did this.

The officers may in fact not have done anything, but that would be due to pertinent information you are leaving out.

If in fact these things are going on(loud noise, beatings, etc), YOUR TENNANTS need to call the police WHILE these things are occuring, not after the fact.

If the guy is smoking weed, you need to get in touch with Hollywood area narcotics(this is Hollywood as in City of Los Angeles, Hollywood, not West Hollywood, correct?) unit at (213) 473-0250

Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
As stated, you are not telling us the truth about what happened. LAPD will not respond in the manner you state to allegations of domestic violence.

If in fact the officers did respond in the manner you state, you need to go to the station and file a complaint against the officers who did this.

The officers may in fact not have done anything, but that would be due to pertinent information you are leaving out.

If in fact these things are going on(loud noise, beatings, etc), YOUR TENNANTS need to call the police WHILE these things are occuring, not after the fact.

If the guy is smoking weed, you need to get in touch with Hollywood area narcotics(this is Hollywood as in City of Los Angeles, Hollywood, not West Hollywood, correct?) unit at (213) 473-0250
Yes I am telling you exactly what the two officers told me that I had nothing to do with the situation even though I am the landlord. I am not joking. I too am confused about all of this myself that is why I am asking the question. Yes and the girl was under the age of 18. The police came out two times in two days. When I approached them and told them that I was the landlord and wanted to know what was going on the police lady got mad at me for smoking and demanded I put my cigarette out. The other police officer was nicer and they told me that it did not concern me. So I just stepped aside and watched because I was not about to Moderator cut: language a female police officer.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-14-2009 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 06-14-2009, 02:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Well now that casts things in a different light.

In other words, you were not the one that called the cops.

They are right, you had nothing to do with the incident and they indeed did not need to tell you what was going on.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
I would think that the police would try to keep the situation from escalating so that might not be the best time to get confrontational.
In the past I would ask the officer if he had a card so we could touch base at a latter date, now what type of lease do you have? Do you have the option to renew or decline? Read your lease, often that is the best option rather than getting into a violation of the rental agreement.
BTW, shout out to the PD in any city, or state. You guys put it out there everyday

Old 06-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I would think that the police would try to keep the situation from escalating so that might not be the best time to get confrontational.
In the past I would ask the officer if he had a card so we could touch base at a latter date, now what type of lease do you have? Do you have the option to renew or decline? Read your lease, often that is the best option rather than getting into a violation of the rental agreement.
BTW, shout out to the PD in any city, or state. You guys put it out there everyday
No I do not have the option to decline. This is rent control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles