Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:57 PM

77 posts, read 119,540 times

Advertisements

There is a resident on my street who, in addition to being a noisy neighbor, drives and parks on-street what seems to be an unregistered vehicle. For the first half-year of their residency, the car had out-of-state plates. Then, for some reason, the plates were removed, and some kind of small paper with a dealership name was stuck in the window. The vehicle has continued to be used like this -- with no plates -- going on at least 4 months, maybe more.

Is there any legitimate registration scenario in which this car still does not have plates after so many months? Seems unlikely, but I am no expert.

Having moved here and paid the dues to legitimately register a vehicle in the state, it is annoying to think someone is trying to get away without paying their share, despite competing for the same parking spots. I am aware of the state web site for anonymously reporting unregistered vehicles, but it has not produced any results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 08:05 PM

23,367 posts, read 23,782,609 times
You've just learned how incompetent the state of California is.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:56 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,561,749 times
It just depends on how long they can go without the cops getting behind them. I did it for awhile and finally got popped for it by a bored bike cop. I had the plate in the car and everything and the registration was current. I just didn't want to drill the holes in the back (it was a Smart car)

Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 AM

30 posts, read 73,694 times
Sorry to hijack but do people actually report you for not having California plates!?! I am driving a 1969 Mustang and have a waiver to register it in my home state of Utah since I have a couple addresses there. The main reason I don't register in California is my late father gave me some original 1969 plates for the car and I honestly can't bring myself to take them off.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,813,738 times
OP - call LA Parking Enforcement when you are confident the car will be parked long enough for them to come out. At a minimum they will leave a warning about the plates and eventually ticket and or impound he car if they do not comply. Might even call you local PD office and tell them about the car directly. These methods have worked for me in the past as I expect all to pay their fair share when it comes to using the roads!.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM

8,266 posts, read 13,355,543 times
OP, would you still care if he wasn't noise and/or you two were gunning for the same parking space?
Or could it be that you are bent out of shape simply because you are jealous that he might be getting away with something that you couldn't?

Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 PM

77 posts, read 119,540 times
Jealousy? How about aggravation. So, what, he should be able to get away with not paying the same registration fees the rest of us do just because he doesn't want to?

There are lots of gray areas in life. Most of us don't go around measuring the distance people park from the curb or whether they come to a full stop at a sign. But driving around with what is probably an unregistered vehicle for half a year or more is hardly a gray area. It is taking advantage, and besides, how could it even be insured? Everyone is impacted by the actions of selfish jerks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
OP, would you still care if he wasn't noise and/or you two were gunning for the same parking space?
Or could it be that you are bent out of shape simply because you are jealous that he might be getting away with something that you couldn't?

Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,548,214 times
I was all in a rush to register my car here and get California plates. Meanwhile, neighbors in my building have TX plates on their car that have been there at least as long as the two years since I've moved in. I would have had to drive back to TX every year just to get my car inspection sticker, but it still would have been a lot cheaper to not switch my registration to here. But oh well, I'm a rule follower. I wouldn't, however, turn them in. They seem like nice folks.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 PM

925 posts, read 1,329,216 times
Just in my mind, i feel its okay not to register your car till your upcoming birthday because you have already payed one state their fees. However, doing it for the 2nd year does seem like its scamming the local community. As the OP also stated, the person has NO TAG, which likely means no Insurance either which will be a hassle to anyone whom that person may be involved with an accident with.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 PM

8,266 posts, read 13,355,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebordella View Post
Jealousy? How about aggravation. So, what, he should be able to get away with not paying the same registration fees the rest of us do just because he doesn't want to?

There are lots of gray areas in life. Most of us don't go around measuring the distance people park from the curb or whether they come to a full stop at a sign. But driving around with what is probably an unregistered vehicle for half a year or more is hardly a gray area. It is taking advantage, and besides, how could it even be insured? Everyone is impacted by the actions of selfish jerks.
Then you do the same exact thing. It sure will beat whining about it or stressing yourself over such a trivial, impersonal thing!

People like this sound like bunch of whiny sore losers to me. It is the state's job, if they are incompetent, why do you care? You care because you don't like the guy because he is always stealing your precious parking space (in your mind)? Or, is it because he has been annoying you due to being noisy, etc.?
Be honest for a second. I feel that is why you care about his expired tags.

If I am mistaken and it is purely about not letting someone else getting away with something so trivial, simply because you, as a model citizen, are complaisant of, then I am sorry for you, that is no way to live your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: