Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They aren't invisible to anyone whose ever been to LA. Antonio Villaraigosa was a two term mayor of Los Angeles, and he's Hispanic.
Exactly. Anyone who actually lives/works in LA would know that Mexican/Hispanic culture is by no means whatsoever under-represented. I mean really!

Anyone who gets their impression of LA from watching TV shows and reading US Weekly would have no idea.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:24 AM

401 posts, read 767,631 times
Quote:
They aren't invisible to anyone whose ever been to LA. Antonio Villaraigosa was a two term mayor of Los Angeles, and he's Hispanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Exactly. Anyone who actually lives/works in LA would know that Mexican/Hispanic culture is by no means whatsoever under-represented. I mean really!

Anyone who gets their impression of LA from watching TV shows and reading US Weekly would have no idea.
+1 on both of these. When I_love_autumn reiterated the title of this thread, it reminded me of how ridiculous it all is. Like these two posts above, anyone who lives (or even visited) LA, would not assert that Hispanics are an invisible majority. There is a plethora of evidence of Hispanic culture and people here. You can't miss it.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,089 times
I don't think that Hispanic/Latino culture is underrepresented, but I do think that the culture is grossly stereotyped.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
+1 on both of these. When I_love_autumn reiterated the title of this thread, it reminded me of how ridiculous it all is. Like these two posts above, anyone who lives (or even visited) LA, would not assert that Hispanics are an invisible majority. There is a plethora of evidence of Hispanic culture and people here. You can't miss it.
But the general stereotype about Los Angeles is about the "Beautiful Blondes", the "Glamourous Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous", and the "Celebrity Culture" that's only found in one small part of the city. Even the South Central/Compton Black Gang stereotype is known outside of Los Angeles. But Los Angeles isn't thought of of a majority Hispanic city and it surprises most people when they move to this area.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
They sure are not invisible on May 5th.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
But the general stereotype about Los Angeles is about the "Beautiful Blondes", the "Glamourous Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous", and the "Celebrity Culture" that's only found in one small part of the city. Even the South Central/Compton Black Gang stereotype is known outside of Los Angeles. But Los Angeles isn't thought of of a majority Hispanic city and it surprises most people when they move to this area.
That's based on 80s stereotypes. It's the 21st century now.

Any major city in the US has a large Hispanic population. So if a person has been to any major US city they should expect LA to have a decent Hispanic population, if not the majority.

The only way you could not know LA has a substantial Hispanic population is if you were from the sticks in Montana and all you knew about every big city in the country came from dated tv shows. And as noted, anyone who has been there knows LA has a Hispanic majority.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
I know people can be really ignorant about stuff...but ...one would have to be really really ignorant to not do the very very small amount of research needed to look up demographics of a city before moving.

It takes maybe 2 minutes? ...if you are a slow typer?

Even in Montana people have the internet. Or *gasp* BOOKS with demographics info in them.

If these people move here not knowing that...then I can't imagine what else they don't know about L.A or the world in general.

Kind of scary...

Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
That's based on 80s stereotypes. It's the 21st century now.

Any major city in the US has a large Hispanic population. So if a person has been to any major US city they should expect LA to have a decent Hispanic population, if not the majority.

The only way you could not know LA has a substantial Hispanic population is if you were from the sticks in Montana and all you knew about every big city in the country came from dated tv shows. And as noted, anyone who has been there knows LA has a Hispanic majority.
Wait, if I vacation in Alabama I can't hang out with the Duke boys?!?

Old 03-26-2014, 01:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Not sure..but you prob won't run into too many Hispanics there either!
Demographics of Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2014, 04:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Not sure..but you prob won't run into too many Hispanics there either!
Demographics of Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The demographics are correct. Of course, 40 years ago you wouldn't have run into any Hispanics in that part of the South. If a place like Alabama can grow from 0% Hispanics to over 2 percent, it shows demographic change is effecting the deep South, just at a slower rate than places like California, Texas, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, or Georgia. But the changes are occuring (just at a slower rate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles