Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
And in general, when living in an nice area, your family will be assumed to be white Americans, not Latino.
Yeah that is pretty sad.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
The unpleasant reality is that Hollywood has to cater to the tastes to white middle America which prefers Caucasian leading men & women and shows centered around white families. Characters have to be relatable and the sad fact is that right now in 2014, white Americans outside of California just can't connect to an authentic Latino experience, except when inserted into their own suburban context a la Modern Family. I think the last truly all Hispanic sitcom or dramedy was the George Lopez Show, and that was in the mid-00's.
What about white Americans in Texas, New Mexico, or Florida?

Or even New York and New Jersey?

Old 03-21-2014, 03:07 PM

401 posts, read 767,851 times
I'm sad that I spent any time reading this thread.

The generalizations are so broad as to border on ridiculous.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
The unpleasant reality is that Hollywood has to cater to the tastes to white middle America which prefers Caucasian leading men & women and shows centered around white families. Characters have to be relatable and the sad fact is that right now in 2014, white Americans outside of California just can't connect to an authentic Latino experience, except when inserted into their own suburban context a la Modern Family. I think the last truly all Hispanic sitcom or dramedy was the George Lopez Show, and that was in the mid-00's.
The film industry does not have to cater solely to the tastes of white middle America. Film and tv audiences are GLOBAL. You have other places in the US with large Hispanic populations (the whole Southwest including Texas, Florida, New York and New Jersey, and Illinois). You actually have rapidly growing Hispanic populations in much of what is called middle America.

But just as non Hispanics are not the majority in LA, they are not in cities like Miami, NYC, among other major cities.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post

Indeed! Repped!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:09 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about a show with an authentic Latino experience though. I am just talking GENERAL characters in general shows and movies. There is never a 'normal' Mexican-American friend in shows set in LA. For example, the show New Girl could have done this. Why not ever have a Mexican-American secretary, paralegal, chiropractor, etc...for the percentage of population of Hispanics that represent LA , there should at least be a few of these characters.

I didn't know Hollywood had to continue to cater to ignorance. We have a Black president now, we need to continue to evolve.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I'm not talking about a show with an authentic Latino experience though. I am just talking GENERAL characters in general shows and movies. There is never a 'normal' Mexican-American friend in shows set in LA. For example, the show New Girl could have done this. Why not ever have a Mexican-American secretary, paralegal, chiropractor, etc...for the percentage of population of Hispanics that represent LA , there should at least be a few of these characters.

I didn't know Hollywood had to continue to cater to ignorance. We have a Black president now, we need to continue to evolve.
We have a Latina Supreme Court justice, we've had Latino cabinet members, a number of major cities have had Latino mayors, there have been Latinos governors, etc.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywriterdude View Post
we have a latina supreme court justice, we've had latino cabinet members, a number of major cities have had latino mayors, there have been latinos governors, etc.
exactly!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post

Unfortunately these generalizations are all too normal. It is reality.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:46 AM

696 posts, read 1,170,843 times
Los Angeles IS White MANS town . All the BEST areas in Los Angeles belong to the WHITE MAN.

Look ANYWHERE Along the coast in Southern California. Look at ANY nice neighborhood out on the westside. It's WHITE or ASIAN.

Hispanics are a big part of the population, but it's obvious LA is catered to the whites! Hispanics get the inner city and outskirts.

That's why I choose MIAMI over Los Angeles, because in Miami people from ALL walks of life especially hispanics are doing big things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles