U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:38 PM

236 posts, read 1,061,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little peg View Post
What a nice explanation.
Thank you! I asked right off the bat why this was in the Los Angeles forum, but nobody has had it removed, so I'm not going to turn down the opportunity to clear up misunderstandings about my Christian faith.

Hey Charles, my husband went to Alemany! ...small world eh? I went to a Catholic high school in the Long Beach area, but we competed against a couple of the schools you mentioned in sports.

To the skeptics... before you put down the Christian/Catholic faith, why not learn a little more about it? I guess some of you just don't care, but don't put down others for doing so. Some of the questions that some of you are asking have really good and beautiful answers. And no, Catholics don't take everything in the Bible (Adam and Eve for example) literally. Educate yourself before you make such remarks.

It is a shame that Daniel Murphy H.S. is closing down... It provided thousands of people with a good solid education. I guess there isn't much choice though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:17 PM

830 posts, read 2,620,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
To the skeptics... before you put down the Christian/Catholic faith, why not learn a little more about it? I guess some of you just don't care, but don't put down others for doing so. Some of the questions that some of you are asking have really good and beautiful answers. And no, Catholics don't take everything in the Bible (Adam and Eve for example) literally. Educate yourself before you make such remarks.

Why is someone that does not believe as you a skeptic? From my point of view, you are just as much a skeptic to my beliefs. So how is that any different? I believe you are putting down the skeptics just as much as you believe they are putting you down. Ya know?

I am sure there are beautiful answers to the "skeptics" questions, just as I believe the "skeptics" answers are just as beautiful to those same questions.

No, you are right, not all Catholics take everything in the Bible literally, but many do. And that is another interesting thing about religion, and not just Catholicism. Even within religions the beliefs vary. So who is right? Which beliefs are the right beliefs? Which religion is the right religion to believe in? According to South Park it's Mormonism, but I am not so sure. :-) It seems to me religion is solely dependent one's individual beliefs and there is no one right religion nor one right set of beliefs.

Last edited by motoman; 12-07-2007 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 04:27 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,799,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
although it's been civil and an interesting read, i can't quite understand why it's here, either--particularly considering that a thread i started in the education forum, expressing outrage at teachers who become sexually involved with students, was removed for being "controversial." i have no idea what was controversial about such a discussion in a place where dozens of teachers post, as it was their thoughts in particular that i wanted to hear. i love city-data, but the moderating can be very biased and illogical!
Where the heck were those teachers when I was in junior and senior high school? Damn.

WHDH-TV - National News - Former Florida teacher who had sex with 14-year-old student arrested on probation violation

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_lafave_071204_ms.jpg (broken link)

My teachers looked more like this (uuggh):

Old 12-07-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
Why is someone that does not believe as you a skeptic? From my point of view, you are just as much a skeptic to my beliefs. So how is that any different? I believe you are putting down the skeptics just as much as you believe they are putting you down. Ya know?

I am sure there are beautiful answers to the "skeptics" questions, just as I believe the "skeptics" answers are just as beautiful to those same questions.
By "skeptics," I meant to infer those who were skeptical of Christianity, since that is pretty much what this thread is about now. I don't mean to put anyone down ever. To call someone who has clearly stated he is not a believer in God a skeptic in the context of a conversation about belief in God does not infer (or so I thought) any putting down. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where the heck were those teachers when I was in junior and senior high school? Damn.

WHDH-TV - National News - Former Florida teacher who had sex with 14-year-old student arrested on probation violation

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_lafave_071204_ms.jpg (broken link)

My teachers looked more like this (uuggh):

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Very nice!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
By "skeptics," I meant to infer those who were skeptical of Christianity, since that is pretty much what this thread is about now. I don't mean to put anyone down ever. To call someone who has clearly stated he is not a believer in God a skeptic in the context of a conversation about belief in God does not infer (or so I thought) any putting down. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

I understand. I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were putting anyone down literally. I just wanted to point out that one's skepticism in Christianity is no different, in my eyes at least, than one's skepticism in non-Christianity, whatever that may be.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Who's open minded?

Ask a person who believes in god if it is possible that god does not exist. The answer is always no.

Ask an agnostic if it is possible if god exists. The answer is always yes.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who's open minded?

Ask a person who believes in god if it is possible that god does not exist. The answer is always no.

Ask an agnostic if it is possible if god exists. The answer is always yes.
It's called faith. Stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Doesn't make sense. Illogical. No basis. Irrelevant. Sounds like something said to children.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:10 PM

14,323 posts, read 19,997,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihameed View Post
I remember the United States as a place where parents raised their children, sent them to school, encouraged them to go to college and taught them to respect their elders. No more. Now adays, the people, for the most part, are rude, self absorbed *******s who think that just because they live here in America, that somehow it's their birthright.

Living in America is no more of a blessing than living in some other country. It could & should be (for us), but frankly, given my choice, I'd choose to live elsewhere even if it cut my life short. Why? Because at least in another country it'd be DO or DIE. Death is not something I'm afraid of, although I'd wish it not to be too painful, but EVEN if it were, let's face it: eventually I'd be dead, in heaven with my Lord and who'd going to ever hurt me again, then? No one. Besides, if I'm going to die painfully, there's no one I'd rather give up my life for than Yeshua- as he did for me.

We should be stepping forward, those of us who call ourselves Christians, stepping forward to claim what is rightfully ours- the honor & privalege of loving our neighbor as ourselves. When people tell our government that they need to get rid of words that have been engrained into this country because it "offends" them, we should at the very least stand and fight for what's right. On the other hand, taking into consideration what we know, maybe it's better to just step back, let the country fall (because a people without a ruler will fall & without God at the helm, LOOK OUT) and just reach out to whoever reaches for us on the way to crashing to the earth.

Being a Christian isn't the easiest thing in the world, but given the alternative along with my understanding of things, I'll take my chances with the Lord.
Why does one have to be a Christian to be a good, decent person who takes care of their kids, sends them to college, and does right by the society and the world?

Some of the most corrupt, most unethical people I know are Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles