Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
Possibly. I just don't want people to underestimate what it costs to live, wherever they go, because most people do. I would rather them be conservative and then surprised if they have extra money rather than be short from the get-go.
Yes, its always better to play it conservative. You forgot to mention the fact that the op said "starving actor"

I certainly missed that bit of info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 02:35 AM

119 posts, read 881,232 times
Absolutely,Fairfax, also Koreatown, Valley Village/ Valley Glen; Culver City, Palms and Sawtelle Village west of the San Diego Freeway next to Santa Monica.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 PM

11 posts, read 87,962 times
I strongly suggest you not live in Koreatown. Koreatown is a rough neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:38 PM

33 posts, read 123,832 times
Most starving artists ban together and rent a house. Perhaps you can join an established group looking for a roomate. You're all in the same boat. So don't think this is a bad idea. You'll get a safer cleaner place to live and have people who will be helpful if you get lost. Don't trust anybody. Do due dilligence.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 27,849 times
I too am planning a move from Long Island NY to LA to continue a career in acting. After a lot of research I am currently leaning towards Studio City and North Hollywood for myself but at the end of the month I am making a trip out there for a little over a week to check things out in person. My budget is right where yours is and those areas sound like a good fit to me. At this point a larger concern of mine is the effect this writers strike will have on availability of work out there. They are saying that if they don't reach a deal soon then the entire industry will be at a stand still for quite some time.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,953 times
Anywhere in Los Angeles' Westside would be suitible for you. You can to the Westchester district. There are several apartments there, no problems there. If you're pursuing an acting career, what name do you go by?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 PM

550 posts, read 1,234,754 times
They're still filming full time in Chatsworth.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 20,102 times
I have a niece, age 24, bound and determined to "make it" in LA as an actress, but she's moving there with only 3 mo rent and high hopes. (stupid, I know, but we can't talk her out of it.) We've been checking the roommates lists, but haven't found exactly what we're looking for, say 4 - 6 young people sharing a house VERY CHEAPLY, all pursuing various dreams and goals. (Or is that scenario just on tv?) Any advice, or young person out there willing to bring in another roomie cheaply?

Old 02-02-2008, 04:50 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times
Talking Great Apartment Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANeighborhoodInfo View Post
Hello All,

I will be relocating to LA within a month to pursue acting, and will be apartment-hunting with my future roomate (also an actor). While prepared for sticker shock (I am moving out from NYC), I would still like to know...are there any truly nice areas of LA where a 2Bed/1Bath can be had for a reasonable price? To clarify, the standards of "nice" boil down to:

1.) SAFE (For 20-some females)
2.) Central (Not too long a commute to auditions)
3.) Lifestyle-appropriate (A community with other young artists like us)
4.) Attractive ( No ugly and sterile apartment complexes please! Something with character and maybe a tree!)

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be obliged. Thanks in advance.
I would recommend the Tuscani Villas in Los Angeles. It's attractive and very reasonable. We strongly considered these apartments until we decided to stay in Orange County. There is currently a vacancy for a 2 bed 1 bath for $1,295/month. They also have a very high rating on apartmentratings.com. I have included the link to the apartments here. Best of luck in our great city! Tuscani Villas
Pic of the courtyard, care of their website.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:09 AM

14 posts, read 94,908 times
Default My, Things Have Changed Somewhat...

Been awhile since I lived and worked in "the biz" out in LA, I left in 1990, but I was immediately struck by the "starving actors" with the $1400 per month housing budget. Wow, if they can pay that what are the working actors paying? I never paid that much rent and lived in a huge place in Westwood.

However, I wished to add that my friends still in the City recommended, via IM, a few areas contingent upon just how starving the actors are and how tied into the business they are. Realistically the one's willing to spring for $1000 plus rent will need a couple of decent day jobs. The reality is that in LA you need a car, which costs money; Gas, insurance, repairs, etc. Your worst enemy will be an unreliable vehicle, for reasons I will discuss below. $1400 per month for rent? Even for two people that's very ambitious, unless you've got a rich daddy. (more on that later)

The suggestion regarding finding a house with a group of actors living together is a good one. In that sitaution, a person looking to cinch up their resume and stills would want to live in Studio City or even Encino. Adjacent to Beverly Hills or some of the Westside locations if you're dealing with Fox (is ABC still over there?), but the West Hollywood area is full of other actors, near TVC and the guts of the business. I favor over the hill but WH and even Hollywood itself (still a scuzzy neighborhood?) for best all around proximity.

Suggestions for the West Side are good living ideas but bad proximity for people who may have to dash from a day job to an audition or other meeting. The business is VERY unforgiving of lateness and lack of preparation, know that up front. The reason? If you're doing principal photography on a film or appearing on a Soap you've got a herd of techs making union scale and other workers being paid big bucks to make the thing happen. Tardy talent costs money and pisses people off. So, you gotta live close to the action to BE SURE to be able to be on time. Those with New York stage experience already know these things and probably can develop some good contacts and advisors in LA.

Oh, and for those coming to LA to act who do have rich daddies; Do something else, you don't need the heartbreak! It's VERY TOUGH to break into the biz. It can be done but the level of commitment is high, you'll need the hide of an Armadillo and the focus of a watchmaker.

God bless you starving actors!

Those of you who become working actors in Glittertown will surely have some stories to tell. My Mom was one in New York in the 30's and 40's. She's a wacky old lady now but she says she had a blast!

bB/former TV, Film and Movie Accountant

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles