U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
 
3 posts, read 34,647 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hello All,

I will be relocating to LA within a month to pursue acting, and will be apartment-hunting with my future roomate (also an actor). While prepared for sticker shock (I am moving out from NYC), I would still like to know...are there any truly nice areas of LA where a 2Bed/1Bath can be had for a reasonable price? To clarify, the standards of "nice" boil down to:

1.) SAFE (For 20-some females)
2.) Central (Not too long a commute to auditions)
3.) Lifestyle-appropriate (A community with other young artists like us)
4.) Attractive ( No ugly and sterile apartment complexes please! Something with character and maybe a tree!)

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be obliged. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
 
13 posts, read 153,414 times
Reputation: 25
From what I've read on the boards, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, or Mt. Washington. Hell even Burbank is recommendable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,729,081 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANeighborhoodInfo View Post
Hello All,

I will be relocating to LA within a month to pursue acting, and will be apartment-hunting with my future roomate (also an actor). While prepared for sticker shock (I am moving out from NYC), I would still like to know...are there any truly nice areas of LA where a 2Bed/1Bath can be had for a reasonable price? To clarify, the standards of "nice" boil down to:

1.) SAFE (For 20-some females)
2.) Central (Not too long a commute to auditions)
3.) Lifestyle-appropriate (A community with other young artists like us)
4.) Attractive ( No ugly and sterile apartment complexes please! Something with character and maybe a tree!)

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be obliged. Thanks in advance.

Everything is reasonable. It's market value.

What is your budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,977 posts, read 30,324,108 times
Reputation: 10491
Do you have a local agent/manager? What does he/she recommend? What's your budget for rental? This will help us help you better. What will you do for employment until you hit it big in Hollywood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 PM
 
1,297 posts, read 5,103,253 times
Reputation: 566
Go where your peers are..

The area between:
Sunset Blvd north down to 3rd Street South,
and
La Cienega West as far east as La Brea.

Mostly older apartments from the 30's, 40's 50s. Close to Hollywood with many young people and restaurants-to pay the bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,708,827 times
Reputation: 7317
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Go where your peers are..

The area between:
Sunset Blvd north down to 3rd Street South,
and
La Cienega West as far east as La Brea.

Mostly older apartments from the 30's, 40's 50s. Close to Hollywood with many young people and restaurants-to pay the bills.
I.e. West Hollywood and Fairfax District. Great parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 08:08 AM
 
3 posts, read 34,647 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Everything is reasonable. It's market value.

What is your budget?
Hi,
Thanks for responding. My budget is approx. $1400/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 AM
 
830 posts, read 2,619,099 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANeighborhoodInfo View Post
Hi,
Thanks for responding. My budget is approx. $1400/month.

What are you going to be doing that will pay you $50,000 per year as a starving actress? That's what you'll need to make to be able to afford $1,400 per month for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 06:43 PM
 
1,297 posts, read 5,103,253 times
Reputation: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
What are you going to be doing that will pay you $50,000 per year as a starving actress? That's what you'll need to make to be able to afford $1,400 per month for rent.
Maybe part of that $1,400 is from investment income and pre-planned expectation of increased cost of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 06:47 PM
 
830 posts, read 2,619,099 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Maybe part of that $1,400 is from investment income and pre-planned expectation of increased cost of living

Possibly. I just don't want people to underestimate what it costs to live, wherever they go, because most people do. I would rather them be conservative and then surprised if they have extra money rather than be short from the get-go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top