Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:13 PM

218 posts, read 361,389 times

Advertisements

I left the east coast last year with my daughter as a single parent. I have no regrets and don't plan on ever moving back. Since you need an elementary school the only one I can recommend (based on my research and feedback from parents at my daughter's middle school whose kids attended there) is Carpenter Charter in Studio City. You would have to move into the school boundaries in order to attend. Here's a list I compiled to help with my research:

APARTMENT SEARCH
Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments
www.apartmentguide.com
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/hhh/
VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner
HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes
Corporate Housing, Temporary Apartments, Government Lodging, Serviced Apartments and Extended Stay Housing | Oakwood
www.yelp.com - for apartment reviews
http://www.westsiderentals.com/ (has a fee but worth it to avoid scams)
http://www.padmapper.com/
www.hotpads.com

CITY WEBSITES

LA: The City of Los Angeles
Pasadena: City of Pasadena
Burbank: Burbank, CA : Home
Glendale: Welcome to the City of Glendale, California

CRIME
CrimeMapping.com - National Map

SCHOOLS

LA School District: Los Angeles Unified School District
LAUSD School Finder (based on home address) http://rsi.lausd.net/ResidentSchoolIdentifier/
Glendale School District: Glendale Unified School District / Overview
Burbank School District: Burbank USD
School Reviews: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Ask A Magnet Yenta | A Parent-to-Parent Resource for Los Angeles Public Schools

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
Metro: http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/
LA County Carpools: http://www.go511.com/

Last edited by DCNita; 04-04-2014 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 7,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNita View Post
I left the east coast last year with my daughter as a single parent. I have no regrets and don't plan on ever moving back. Since you need an elementary school the only one I can recommend (based on my research and feedback from parents at my daughter's middle school whose kids attended there) is Carpenter Charter in Studio City. You would have to move into the school boundaries in order to attend. Here's a list I compiled to help with my research:

APARTMENT SEARCH
Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments
www.apartmentguide.com
san fernando valley all housing classifieds - craigslist
VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner
HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes
Corporate Housing, Temporary Apartments, Government Lodging, Serviced Apartments and Extended Stay Housing | Oakwood
www.yelp.com - for apartment reviews
Los Angeles Apartments, Orange County Apartments, and San Diego Apartments (has a fee but worth it to avoid scams)
Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
www.hotpads.com

CITY WEBSITES

LA: The City of Los Angeles
Pasadena: City of Pasadena
Burbank: Burbank, CA : Home
Glendale: Welcome to the City of Glendale, California

CRIME
CrimeMapping.com - National Map

SCHOOLS

LA School District: Los Angeles Unified School District
LAUSD School Finder (based on home address) Resident School Identifier
Glendale School District: Glendale Unified School District / Overview
Burbank School District: Burbank USD
School Reviews: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Ask A Magnet Yenta | A Parent-to-Parent Resource for Los Angeles Public Schools

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
Metro: LA Metro Home | Maps & Timetables
LA County Carpools: Go511 | Los Angeles Traffic | Commuter Information | Road Conditions
Wow thank you for the many resources you provided. This will be a great help.
Did you know anyone upon moving to LA, or were you completely on your own?

Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 PM

218 posts, read 361,389 times
I was on my own. My daughter is 13 so she's more of a help now that she's a teenager...well not so much for my nerves but in other ways she helps...lol. I needed a change of environment and I was soooooooo tired of snow and cold weather. The after school program in the LA county schools are FREE and you have until 6pm to pickup. I would highly recommend to live close to where you work...traffic here is brutal.

LAUSD After School Program: About

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles