Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,842 times

Advertisements

Pile into a one bedroom with a roommate or two in North Hollywood. Then your portion might only be like $400 a month. Then work a job at Starbucks or if you're lucky, waiting tables.

If you expect privacy and space, rents are through the roof in LA. But for those young people willing to live dormitory style, you can manage even in pricy areas like West Hollywood and Santa Monica. Three to a one bedroom, or four (maybe five!) to a two bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM

75 posts, read 205,052 times
Lol I apologize--I couldn't help but troll a bit with the smug "by the numbers" actor routine. I've visited Los Angeles several times (actually stayed at the Hollywood hostel my last visit), have an older brother and a good friend living out there as well & getting lessons via skype with someone who has worked with many commercial casting directors around town. I understand the "odds"--I just want to throw my hat in the ring and play the game--it's a lot of fun & I enjoy it. I used to be a 9-5er, so I am approaching this move more intelligently than I would have had I moved in my early 20's or something. (probably looking to move next fall--2015).

In terms of affordable housing, there are plenty of situations around town that could accommodate my budget (I'm probably looking at $700/month...500 if I'm desperate, 900 if things pick up for me here in TX so I can keep pushing more into savings). However, I liked the vibe/versatility/semi-walkability/location/affordability of Hollywood and Los Feliz the times I've visited. I've heard that Los Feliz has undergone some re gentrification over the years and now is a bit more uppity now vs 5-7 years ago? I also felt like both neighborhoods are havens for creative types (ala support groups for us crazies), which is a plus. I loved Runyon Canyon, the trails around Muhholland Drive, etc. I also liked the proximity to the metro (as mentioned above) should I want to hitch a ride to downtown Staples Center for a fight/event/whatever. There is no question that I will have a roomate or multiple roomates unless I get lucky and stumble across a $900/month studio (I'd pay a little more per month for my own place if possible--also, that'd most likely be in a neighborhood elsewhere so moot point), so the logistics of "getting a job, etc" I understand all that. I'm just curious as to the details and the specifics of the two neighborhoods (looking for a little more insight).

As far as a couple of commercials being a "claim to fame?" That would be great--it's all about staying in the game and playing for a long time. If you land 5 commercials out of 100 auditions, you're doing great. But I just love doing it & I don't have a family to support--so I'm going to take advantage, live my life the way I want to live it.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Los Feliz, Silverlake & Echo Park. Near to all and right in your demographic.
Thanks, Social Democrat. Of the three, which is more affordable? Or are they all pretty much on par with each other?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatUnwashed View Post
Stay home. The odds of you making it are extremely thin, and even if you do your claim to fame will be a couple commercials you did in your lifetime.

Go to college instead and get a degree in physical sciences, applied mathematics, or engineering. Then come out here and you'll make great money.
TheGreatUnwashed, I used to think I was wired that way. Once I discovered that I wasn't, my mentality has shifted dramatically. I was THIS close to going to law school--had my applications (which were a MAJOR pain in the you know what to complete for just one school, especially when you've transfered a lot) lined up but realized at the last second that I was pursuing those goals as it was the torture I was willing to live with. I realized that I wasn't pursuing what I really wanted. I'm now getting experience in radio, television (for a fledgling cable network), and Film (which makes zero money)--I feel like everything I'm doing is feeding into the same itch/craving. It's a great feeling--significantly less money than the 9-5, but you accomodate to live within your means. Plus, an expensive place and expensive car seems like a pointless expense and liability for a single dude in his late 20's even if you could afford it.

My brother is a physician assistant making great money after just two years of schooling (accelerated program). He is lucky that his passion and day job are in perfect alignment. I faint after I get a stinkin blood test and applied mathematics, engineering, etc sounds like voluntary prison to me. My hat goes off to people who can get up everyday with gusto ready to work in those respective fields.

Last edited by CA Dreamer; 03-24-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 12:34 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
Thanks, Social Democrat. Of the three, which is more affordable? Or are they all pretty much on par with each other?
All pretty similar nowadays - Craigslist is your friend to comparison shop a bit.

Last edited by Social Democrat; 03-24-2014 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
I'm an Actor from Texas moving to Los Angeles to become a movie star.
Why anyone bothers posting responses is beyond me.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,829,752 times
I still can't decide if you are a troll or not.

However, I will urge you to continue to save money. I had around 10K when I moved here in 2008 and I still think that wasn't enough. You are going to want a buffer if you can't find work for a while. Despite what people will tell you in this post, there are a lot of working actors in LA. Will you be the next Brad Pitt? Probably not. Could you find an acting job that just pays the bills? There's a decent chance. My old roommate who I moved here with, works as a stand-in on television shows, has had some parts in huge blockbuster movies. But is he famous? No. He survives and he does what he loves doing.

So the possibilities are out there, you just need to prepare yourself.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
It doesn't matter where you live when you get here. Seriously. Look on CL and find a place you can afford with people who don't look too sketchy. You can't be picky at this point so don't fret about neighborhoods yet. You will need a job doing SOMETHING and probably a car to get there (and any auditions/casting calls you hit up) and that's the extent of CA Dreaming with less that $3k.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I still can't decide if you are a troll or not.

However, I will urge you to continue to save money. I had around 10K when I moved here in 2008 and I still think that wasn't enough. You are going to want a buffer if you can't find work for a while. Despite what people will tell you in this post, there are a lot of working actors in LA. Will you be the next Brad Pitt? Probably not. Could you find an acting job that just pays the bills? There's a decent chance. My old roommate who I moved here with, works as a stand-in on television shows, has had some parts in huge blockbuster movies. But is he famous? No. He survives and he does what he loves doing.

So the possibilities are out there, you just need to prepare yourself.
How many actors or artists in general have moved to Los Angeles and gotten jobs working in the restaurant, bar, retail store, or other similar jobs. Who says he has to immediately get acting jobs? That might not happen for awhile. But that's okay because there are plenty of other jobs that he can get.

If he or she is a young person, he doesn't need much to move to LA on. The first few months might be rough, but if he's the right type of person he can take it. There's a lot of dormitory style housing in LA (hostels, overcrowded houses, etc.). If he's willing to do all that then it's fine for him.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How many actors or artists in general have moved to Los Angeles and gotten jobs working in the restaurant, bar, retail store, or other similar jobs. Who says he has to immediately get acting jobs? That might not happen for awhile. But that's okay because there are plenty of other jobs that he can get.

If he or she is a young person, he doesn't need much to move to LA on. The first few months might be rough, but if he's the right type of person he can take it. There's a lot of dormitory style housing in LA (hostels, overcrowded houses, etc.). If he's willing to do all that then it's fine for him.

Sorry, $2,600 is not enough money. At the very least don't move with less than 10K.

OP needs to stay in TX and save more money.

I'm all for a young person pursuing their dreams and living where they want to live, I moved to CA in the late 80s, even back then $2,600 wasn't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles