U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:39 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,833,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
this isn't one of them. we value education in theory, and pay it great lip-service, but that doesn't mean people are willing to pay for it. many will, perhaps most, even, but it's not their children that worry me.
I should have mentioned that I was referring to many of the immigrants to SoCal and the US in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 03:55 PM

2,574 posts, read 7,884,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I should have mentioned that I was referring to many of the immigrants to SoCal and the US in general.
i knew that, and i suppose i should clarify as well, as it might seem that i am saying two different things. as a society, we value education or at least pretend to, but many individuals and families do not. if, in some cases, that is due to cultural factors that are irrelevant to their present circumstances as US residents (illegal or otherwise), i would say that they need to make some adjustments if they expect their children to prosper. even a sub-standard LAUSD education is better than none at all.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM

7,951 posts, read 14,768,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
It isnt so much of a LAUSD problem as it is a parents of students who attend LAUSD schools. This thread reeks of the same stench that was espoused by those who've been trying to break up the LAUSD for years by saying things like "its too big" or "Its failing" when in actually where they are trying to do is segregate their kids in the "nice" areas from the kids in the "not so nice" areas. Just like an earlier poster who said something about kids from Inglewood attending Westchester which chases away white kids from Playa Del Rey...... I think it boils down to parents fearing and not wanting their children to attend a school with heavy minority population. Its a thinly veiled level of racisim. Creating a level of "haves" and "have nots" schools.
Well, if you read more of my post, I say they bring violence and stupidity. If I were at WHS right now, I would probably be smarter than most seniors and I'm only a sophomore. Where I am now, it is very competetive and I am in the upper level of my grade, but nowhere near being the smartest. At WHS, they are constantly having fights. It is not racist to say I don't want to go there because there's a lot of blacks, this school is almost racist the other way around. The blacks, thinking they are majority, try to run the school. I knew a few white kids that go there, and they are scared. Meanwhile, if they went to my school, they would be the biggest bullies. These kids have been beaten up at least 5 times for their money, so they no longer bring it. Some kids still beat them up, even after they know they have no money. There has never even been one fight at my school. The only fights we have occur at a local park where the police rarely patrol.

So, what I'm saying is that similar people should be grouped together with other similar people. I should not have to spend money to go somewhere else and not attend my school, just because these students want to bring their gang violence into affluent neighborhoods. Also, many of the kids don't even live in a zone for WHS, but they got in there by saying "Oh, my 4th cousin goes there." Then, all their cousins, siblings, and pretty much everyone that that one person can possibly get in, end up going there.

The parents of these children are just completely retarded as well. MODS, DON'T EDIT THIS NEXT SENTENCE PLEASE. I AM NOT USING PROFANITY, THESE ARE ACTUAL NAMES OF STUDENTS THAT MY AUNT AND UNCLE HAVE HAD! One was spelled A-S-S-H-O-L-E. Now, everyone can guess how most people would read that, but no, it's pronounced "a-SHOL-ee". Another one was spelled S-H-I-T-H-E-A-D. What does that spell? Nope, you're wrong, it's "****-heed". Now, are people with these types of names the kind you think should be attending a school in an affluent neighborhood? I don't care if their black, hispanic, asian, white, or aliens, this just shows how much of a stupid background they came from. By the way, both of them flunked out their junior year because they were 16 and it is legal not to go to school at that age. They never had over a 65% in any class. My aunt says every year gets worse and worse test grades. Do you think it's just a coincidence that every year, more black kids attend? Maybe, maybe not. But, my own, loving aunt who could get me all the best teachers and help me on all my homework, told me not to go to WHS just because of how bad the school is. She wouldn't to see me as one of those kids who gets beat up over and over again.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM

12,977 posts, read 30,372,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It is not racist to say I don't want to go there because there's a lot of blacks.......[/color][/color]
Yes it is racist to say that.

My niece who is of Italian background went to WHS and did not have any problems. She's going into her senior year at USC and is doing great. She never mentioned anything negative about her years at WHS. I think its just you kid. Hopefully, as you get older you'll learn a few more things with the experience life will bring to you

Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,295,860 times
LA must be one of the strangest cities in the country when it comes to schools.

You've got neighborhoods with $800,000 homes zoned to terrible schools. When you think about it, how many areas of the country can say that?

Not sure how many use google maps, look at an overhead map of la, westchester, you think it'd be thriving with good schools. Its so strange.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:50 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,753,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
LA must be one of the strangest cities in the country when it comes to schools.

You've got neighborhoods with $800,000 homes zoned to terrible schools. When you think about it, how many areas of the country can say that?.
San Francisco, Houston, DC, quite a few places in South Florida. I'd guess that the nice parts of Oakland and of Prince George's County, MD are probably zoned to horrible schools as well.

Last edited by majoun; 12-08-2007 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 03:28 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,557,626 times
hello dnthate, thats why i think this LAUSD should include the nicer areas that it currently has. thats were the money is at. that money goes to help fund poorer schools where the tax base isnt as deep. and as for your assertion that things get vadalized pretty quickly, that is not always the case. a new HS just opened around the corner (as are many more schools opening)its been one full year and my teacher friend placed at this school says that the kids are for the most part respectful of what they have. they are happy to leave the overcorwded schools with no books. of course there are those few taggers, but thats the case all around. you always have a few bad apples.
and yes parent invovlement is important, as is uncle and aunt and older cuzin involvment. this does happen, but it is hard when parents work two jobs or nights or whatever is the case with many struggling families. poverty is not an excuse, but issues run deeper than what this teen sees. pretty soon he'll be older and hopefully understand how ridiculous he sounds. my point is that LAUSD is changing and is getting better. thats it. no reason to abolish LAUSD.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:43 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,833,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
thats it. no reason to abolish LAUSD.
The efficiency of the LAUSD makes the IRS look like the Sony Corporation.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:53 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,753,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The efficiency of the LAUSD makes the IRS look like the Sony Corporation.
The governance of the LAUSD makes Enron look like the Sony Corporation.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,583,226 times
This is a common urban legend described my Snopes here: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Funny Names

From Snopes: "Apologies for the offensive language in the first example. The quote comes from 1917, a time when racist humor was the norm. It stands not only as an early example of the legend, but also as an eloquent expression of the racist message which underpins it. Accept it as a graphic example of what this legend is really about."

I am highly skeptical of Jessemh's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The parents of these children are just completely retarded as well. MODS, DON'T EDIT THIS NEXT SENTENCE PLEASE. I AM NOT USING PROFANITY, THESE ARE ACTUAL NAMES OF STUDENTS THAT MY AUNT AND UNCLE HAVE HAD! One was spelled A-S-S-H-O-L-E. Now, everyone can guess how most people would read that, but no, it's pronounced "a-SHOL-ee". Another one was spelled S-H-I-T-H-E-A-D. What does that spell? Nope, you're wrong, it's "****-heed". Now, are people with these types of names the kind you think should be attending a school in an affluent neighborhood? I don't care if their black, hispanic, asian, white, or aliens, this just shows how much of a stupid background they came from. By the way, both of them flunked out their junior year because they were 16 and it is legal not to go to school at that age. They never had over a 65% in any class. My aunt says every year gets worse and worse test grades. Do you think it's just a coincidence that every year, more black kids attend? Maybe, maybe not. But, my own, loving aunt who could get me all the best teachers and help me on all my homework, told me not to go to WHS just because of how bad the school is. She wouldn't to see me as one of those kids who gets beat up over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles