Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:10 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times

Advertisements

I'm not quite sure that these anecdotal observations of less traffic on the 405 correspond to reality.

I-405 In LA Named Busiest Interstate In Any U.S. City

I-405 In LA Named Busiest Interstate In Any U.S. City « CBS Los Angeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
I just posted that on the previous page! Also, it doesn't mean 405 traffic hasn't stabilized or slightly declined. The 405 also was ranked busiest in 2003. Like I alluded to in post #1, unemployment is higher and there seems to be a widespread trend away from the 9-to-5 work week, both which would decrease traffic in almost any area without a significantly growing population. Then the focus turns to whether other areas with very busy highways also are generally stagnating in population.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:52 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,312 times
In the USA as a whole, the average vehicle miles travelled per person has gone down every year since 2005. Right now, the vehicle miles travelled per person is the same as it was in 1995.

This isn't just about LA, it is nationwide.

In the discussions about vehicle miles travelled (VMT), there is a lot of conjecture as to why people don't drive as much as they used to, on average. The big theories are that more people are unemployed, people do more of their socializing and shopping online as opposed to by car, driving is too expensive, and that driving just doesn't "feel" like the liberating experience that it used to. It is generational. The baby boomers are beginning to retire, and younger people seem to have less enthusiasm for driving. Another theory is that since crime is down nationwide, people that before would never live in a city now see it as a possibility. But no one seems to know for sure exactly why traffic is generally down.

The big question is to whether driving will pick back up again if the economy ever improves.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 AM

It feels good to be vindicated. Thanks. I'm now confident that somewhere there are statistics that support my original claim.

I came up with some more specifics as to why the 405 likely is losing traffic. Continuing decline of the aerospace industry, which as far I know is mostly near the highway. The limitations of electric cars, which probably have caught on more in LA than many other big cities. And a big reason - the decline in air travel, referring to near-the-405 LAX.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:59 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
It doesn't take a lot to slow down a freeway. Two drivers trading insurance information, chp giving a ticket, even a banner on an overpass will cause a slow down. All of us have also seen that "slower" driver on their smart phone.

I've also noticed new choke points on the 405, where the right two lanes are a parking lot, but the freeway moves fast after those areas. It shows a change in either working or living situations of the past.

Local government was also at risk of losing federal funding due to poor performance of the carpool lanes which may have something to do with spending to improve the freeway and turning the 110 carpool lane into a pay to use lane

Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 AM

686 posts, read 1,231,148 times
As someone who has traveled the 405 forever, I can say that it is NOT less than in 2004. Its still as bad as always. This is from first hand, daily experience in traveling from as far north as the 101/405 intersection in Sherman Oaks, all the way to LAX. Sure there are few areas where it gets lighter, and areas where it typically gets heavier, but for the most part, its still as bad as ever.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
As someone who has traveled the 405 forever, I can say that it is NOT less than in 2004. Its still as bad as always. This is from first hand, daily experience in traveling from as far north as the 101/405 intersection in Sherman Oaks, all the way to LAX. Sure there are few areas where it gets lighter, and areas where it typically gets heavier, but for the most part, its still as bad as ever.
All that construction doesn't help either. Those 55MPG strictly enforced causes break lights even when there are relatively few cars on the road.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
That's most of my stretch. What times of day? It's certainly not better in construction zones (needless to say) or at some entrance/exit points, but I think my argument still stands.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
Really??? Every Time I have picked up my rental car at LAX over the past 5 years no matter what time of the day or night the 405 is awful. Me from the east coast NYC DC area . I know traffic and the 405 is awful. How do you all keep sane??

Old 03-28-2014, 02:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Really??? Every Time I have picked up my rental car at LAX over the past 5 years no matter what time of the day or night the 405 is awful. Me from the east coast NYC DC area . I know traffic and the 405 is awful. How do you all keep sane??
Drugs...lot's of drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles