Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 PM

13 posts, read 158,419 times

Advertisements

So I've been checking places out in the LA area. Me and my girlfriend want to share a studio, and we cant afford much. In fact, anything under $1,400 a month would be ideal. We really dont care how small the place, it doesnt even have to be furnished- all we care about is having a 3-month lease option and that it is in a safe area. Again, really our main concern is it being in a safe area- besides that we are very flexible. So the two areas I have been looking at are Los Feliz and Burbank. I want your opinions on the following options:

Rancho Los Feliz
3205 Los Feliz Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90039

Studios in this apartment building are about $1400 a month.

And also:

Royal Equestrian
1200 West Riverside Drive
Burbank, CA 91506

Studios there are $1200 a month.

Anyway, I wanted to know if there were any major drawbacks to the areas these two apartments are in. If there are any "catches" you can think of, or if there is something I'm totally unaware of. I mean I understand the rent being low because they are such small units, but is there something else I need to know? Any help would be much appreciated- I have lurked these boards for a while now, and I have learned A LOT about LA- you guys are really really helpful. Anyway, thanks!

PS- Any recommendations for apartment buildings would be a huge help too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Also try the oakwood apartments in Toluca Hills (bordering Burbank). The studio rents are in the range 1365-1485. They are in a real good area on the side of the hill.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:43 PM

so what do you think my chances are of finding something below $1200?

Old 12-03-2007, 01:12 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
I think it's completely possible to find a studio for that price.

los angeles craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "mt washington"

Why specifically are you looking at those areas? Maybe I can help you choose a different if you don't need to be there.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:38 AM

I dont have to be in those areas, I am totally open to suggestions. Anything that would be good for 2 20-year olds would be good. I really just wanted safe and affordable Any suggestions? Also, if you can recommend a few apartment buildings, that would be great too!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM

Well do you know where you'll be working?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 PM

me and my girlfriend will be working in different areas, but she is most likely going to be working in Simi Valley, and I'm going to be in downtown LA, so thats why I thought Burbank was a good halfway point. Besides Burbank, any other areas come to mind that are student-friendly and have cheap rent?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 PM

Well, would you like to live a harder life and be kind to you girlfriend or do you want to give her the bad commute? Those areas would give you an easy commute, but at least 1-1.5 hours for her. I would suggest Studio City and Sherman Oaks for a young couple. The nicest areas are south of the 101 Freeway, with the best being south of Ventura Blvd. That is also a pretty lively area. The commute will still be easier for you, but you don't want to live anywhere too close to her job if you are young. It's boring out that way.

$1195 1bd/in Studio City (broken link)
Master Bedroom w/ private bathroom move in Jan. 1 (broken link)
1BR-1BA in Resort Community on Venura Blvd (broken link)
IMMACULATE 1 BEDROOM APTS! Vista Point 2 (broken link)
IMMACULATE 1+1 TOWNHOMES! The Arbor (broken link)
RESTORED 1940'S LARGE CHARMING APARTMENT (broken link)
Large Single Approx 550 Sq Ft In Mediterranean Style RESORT Facilities (broken link)
Sherman Oaks Studio Apartment (broken link)
Gorgeous Traditional Prime Sherman Oaks! (broken link)
MOVE IN SPECIAL **BEAUTIFUL STUDIO APT, The Embassy (broken link)
Gorgeous 1 bedroom/ 1 bathroom in Sherman Oaks (broken link)
Gorgeous Traditional Prime Sherman Oaks! (broken link)

Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 PM

awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, Studio City and Sherman Oaks seem to be good. Even Studio City seems like it wouldnt be that bad- we would both be sharing the long commutes, but I mean, what else can we do, right? So is there anything wrong with Burbank? I'm just wondering... at least compared to Studio City?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 PM

Burbank and studio city are very similar in terms of lifestyle, but the commute will be worse for both of you. Although it looks like it would take her long on a map, it will be about equal in Studio City and Sherman Oaks. Downtown LA is on the southern side of the mountains while SC and SO are on the northern. With only a few ways to get through mountains, traffic can become horrendous. You have Coldwater Canyon Dr., Laurel Cnyn Dr, and the Hollywood Freeway. 300,000+ people will use those three routes, along with two more that wouldn't make sense for SC and SO residents to use. One alternative for you would to be to take the metro train from Universal Studios in Studio City to downtown LA. That would save you a lot of time. Sadly, nothing like that goes to Simi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles