Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:50 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times

Advertisements

It's funny, if you read about tv and the media, everyone complains that ratings are going down and viewers are leaving them.

Not sure what the ratings are for the news, but if they leveled with their audience, and accepted the reality of the news (and of living in LA), they might have a better following.

Before infotainment, oj, freeway chases, the news was somewhat more in line with reality. But I know sensationalizing sells, if it bleeds it leads, so maybe they have to sell it just to compete.

With the rain last night, I guess Fritz and Johnny Mountain will have alot to report on tonight and this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM

22 posts, read 79,758 times
living on the mainline of philadelphia with family. Have two children 12, and 13.
Husband and I thinking of moving to la. I am pharma rep and he has his own construction busin. Children attend private school and need to find a family area near beach and good private high school. Help. Should I move. Tired of Philly weather. Twenty degrees, snow and have not seen the sun in weeks. Please help.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
+1

Most Americans are about this smart:

Isn't Europe A Country? at Kontraband
This one is even better

YouTube - Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES

Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlinephilly View Post
living on the mainline of philadelphia with family. Have two children 12, and 13.
Husband and I thinking of moving to la. I am pharma rep and he has his own construction busin. Children attend private school and need to find a family area near beach and good private high school. Help. Should I move. Tired of Philly weather. Twenty degrees, snow and have not seen the sun in weeks. Please help.

Try starting a new thread - you should get more responses that way.
You're buried in a thread about the media here.

Go to the forum you want (ex: Los Angeles) then click the new thread button (upper left on your screen)

Old 12-08-2007, 01:13 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Cool Don't ask silly questions. Just go shopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
On this forum there's obviously alot of talk about the cost of living and affordability. Have you ever seen it covered on the news?

Any channel? Any station?

Real affordability, not artifically low inflation that isn't true.

What would be a bigger story in LA?
Mall shootings, car chases and road-rage stories -- especially fatal ones -- are news. Whether or not Jane and Joe Wage Earner can afford anything or nothing at all only makes news when retail sales decline. It's framed something like, "consumer confidence down; retail sales slipping," and we're all supposed to gather around, hand-wringing and opining because "big-box [insert store name] fell short of its quarterly sales predictions."

But, yes, to answer your question, there are glimmers of light in LA's broadcast world. You'll find deeper discussion on important issues of livability, wages and what it means to average wage-slaves on radio stations like KPFK 90.7 FM. Start there.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 AM

119 posts, read 881,186 times
LA TV news brings it up but thats how far it goes in passing. Or during ratings month you might a story that deals with cost of living extensively. or The recient housing crash and foreclousre mess. There You need to live in the Bay Area where Broadcast journalism is taken seriously(Better yet go online to these stations to see how they cover economic situation compare with LA:

KRON 4
KRON 4 Home

KPIX
http:cbs5.com

KGO
abc7news.com: ABC7 News: Bay Area Online News (San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose)

KTVU
KTVU.com: Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco Bay Area News, Weather, Video )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles