Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Yeah apparently I'm not going to be able to get a job at Starbucks anywhere close to where I live.
Any chain store that has a branch in Burbank or North Hollywood would do for transfer purposes, any place you could get a part-time second job now without giving up your current job. There are other coffee shop chains like Peet's or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, too.

There are lots of jobs in Burbank and North Hollywood
Career Center | Starbucks Coffee Company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:47 AM

210 posts, read 305,253 times
Great but does anyone know how to get on government assistance/housing if I ever need too?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:53 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Quote:
Highly educated people from all over America come to Boston to take up all the professional jobs, whereas all the lesser jobs come down to the "Who You Know Club" which I am apart of along with so many other people to the point where I'm not seen as important. Starbucks is just a random pick, I'll work anywhere as long as its not a legit restaurant. I worked at P. F. Changs for a little while, it was good but I'd never go through that again.
Highly educated people from all over America come to CA to take up all the professional jobs, because of the weather. If you can't deal with competition, you need to find a place where people don't want to live.

I'm not sure what 'pay your dues' mean, but many who are trying to break into the industry are working at "legit" restaurants.

I've never met a professional game tester, I've seen commercial about them but never have crossed paths, do they really exist and why would testers need to live in LA, it is all software that can be sent elsewhere.

Quote:
Great but does anyone know how to get on government assistance/housing if I ever need too?
There is something called section 8 for parents, so have a kid.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
It's the American way. Just move here with little to no cash and no job. We got you covered!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:32 AM

Game testers and/or QA Testers are contracted workers for video game studios that make sure that the game works properly and has no glitches. There are two types of testers, Game Testers and QA Testers. Game Testers test out the game as its in the process of being made. This is basically when the game is completely broken and in the process of being programmed. Game Testers also give feedback on the gameplay itself and sometimes have a say in how a games developed. The Grand Theft Auto series was invented due to a glitch on what was supposed to be a drag racing game. Originally the cops were supposed to chase you in their cars and stop yours to arrest you. Some glitch however caused them to not pull you over but rather ram into you. The testers had a blast with this glitch and suggested that instead of having a game about illegal drag racing, they should just have some sort of crime game where the cops relentlessly pursue you. The rest is history. QA Testers stand for quality assurance, some people say that QA and Game Testers are the same and that when looking for a job you always reference QA so that company's know you actually understand the job and not think its a position where you have fun playing games all day, because its not and I'll get to that later. Anyway QA Testers usually come in once a game/level/section is finished and simply play through it over and over again in order to find glitches. Some high profile games, like the first Call of Duty Modern Warfare, had different shifts of QA Testers playing 24 hours a day. It really shows how much effort was put into a game in order to make it flawless. The new CoD, Ghosts had fewer QA's than Modern Warfare and it really shows, the game is clearly poorly programmed. Game testing as a career isn't meant to be taken lightly. You often have to work 12 to 16 hours a day often playing the same part that your testing for potential weeks on end. If you've ever replayed a game multiple times you would know how tedious it could be, that basically becomes your life. You get pays so little but work so much that you get a decent paycheck but due to the heavy hours you probably won't have a social life. Also it has a high burnout rate, people have passed out, people have pissed themselves, and worst of all it might even destroy your love of video games. Also since work is often contracted once the game is done you usually get laid off and have to find another job. Some companies keep you for more work like Insomniac Games as I mentioned earlier or as extra QA in case they need to release patches for bigger games like Skyrim and Battlefield. So why do this horrific job? Well the rewards are pretty amazing if you find a company that lets you stick around. You could eventually become a leader/senior tester and make as much as 60K a year. You can also use your experience to get the dream job, Game Designer. The guy who made the Burnout games started off as a tester and it shows in both the name and the gameplay. I'm an adult now and obviously I don't want to keep playing video games for the rest of my life but would still like them to be apart of it. I work 16 hour shifts at my security job so I'm used to long hours. Generally speaking most games are made in California while some games have been made in other states, the big dogs and the big money are all located in Cali. As for being an actor it's something I always wanted to do but was always discouraged by practically everyone. I have had very few gigs as an entertainer but I really wish I did more and people weren't so condescending as I was growing up. But those are just two goals of mine. I'd be willing to work at a restaurant if I really had to and if things didn't work out in LA I'd move elsewhere in Cali. I'm really just trying to leave my hometown in search of change. You might think I'm foolish for wanting to be an actor like everyone else or work in the gaming industry but you know, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take so why not go for it. I can always go back home if things really don't work out for me but I'm willing to become homeless before that happens.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's the American way. Just move here with little to no cash and no job. We got you covered!
Hahaha I didn't mean to sound cocky and ignorant but I had to grow a pair and put it out there. Like I said I'm willing to become homeless before I move back to Massachusetts. The way I figure is that if the government is offering help why not take it? There already oppressive to the working class enough as it is why not take advantage of it. After all it is kind of fair since our government let the banks screw up the economy and not get punished for their actions.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Stay in Boston, and I'm not being facetious. Be a burden to Mass, not Calif. Seriously.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Stay in Boston, and I'm not being facetious. Be a burden to Mass, not Calif. Seriously.
Aww c'mon now. This community was actually looking like it was actually pleasant, once I bring up the fact that I'm not made of money or resources people are starting to be condescending on me. You ever learn that phrase as a kid? Say something nice to someone or don't say anything at all? Like seriously man don't go down that route. I don't want to troll an entire forum again lol I was serious this time. How dare you call me a "burden" when I'm actually trying to be somewhat productive. I understand my goals won't really benefit society much but I'm actually trying to make a life out of myself so yeah I'll very much move to Cali if I want to.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Aww c'mon now. This community was actually looking like it was actually pleasant, once I bring up the fact that I'm not made of money or resources people are starting to be condescending on me. You ever learn that phrase as a kid? Say something nice to someone or don't say anything at all? Like seriously man don't go down that route. I don't want to troll an entire forum again lol I was serious this time. How dare you call me a "burden" when I'm actually trying to be somewhat productive. I understand my goals won't really benefit society much but I'm actually trying to make a life out of myself so yeah I'll very much move to Cali if I want to.
Yawn.

Sure you will.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 AM

116 posts, read 226,223 times
I've lived in LA ( NOHO and WeHO) and I can tell you that if you're already low on funds then LA is not for you. This isn't the place to come when you're broke and try to save money and start school.

I would suggest moving to another big city that has a lower COL and more job opportunities. You will get your change and have a fresh start.

I totally feel you on the "need a change" thing though but LA isn't the place to go when you're already on your knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles