Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 AM

50 posts, read 76,074 times

Advertisements

Our infrastructure definitely need upgrades & repairs. Same with our streets & sidewalks. I'm all for upgrading and repairing our transit system, but I think we can find the money to do it in the existing budget without new taxes.

From what I understand, Measure R will also increase costs to ride the Metro in the near future. I'm not sure how much it will increase and if people will be OK with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 01:00 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinDealin View Post
Our infrastructure definitely need upgrades & repairs. Same with our streets & sidewalks. I'm all for upgrading and repairing our transit system, but I think we can find the money to do it in the existing budget without new taxes.

From what I understand, Measure R will also increase costs to ride the Metro in the near future. I'm not sure how much it will increase and if people will be OK with that.
How? Would it be enough to cover the $27 Billlion dollars worth of transit improvements sought? Has there been a city in the US that built a transit system without raising taxes or issuing bonds?

The plan is to raise the fair to $2.25 with free transfers for up to 90 minutes in 2021

Old 04-02-2014, 01:04 AM

Here's my answer, real easy, get ready for the flames....

Cut welfare.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Here's my answer, real easy, get ready for the flames....

Cut welfare.
Corporate or social?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Corporate or social?
That made me laugh.

I was referring to social programs, but I'm sure there is some corporate fat that can get trimmed too.

Did you know that the city of LA paid companies over $1 million dollars each for bids on the metro expansion? The city paid multiple companies to submit their bids for the job. The job these companies were competing for. It's like getting paid to apply for a job. The LA times reported on this last year. Most of the companies in question said they would have submitted their bids for free. Practices like this are unheard of in other cities.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:29 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
City sales tax - absolutely against
County sales tax - moderately for, because transit is important.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
That made me laugh.

I was referring to social programs, but I'm sure there is some corporate fat that can get trimmed too.

Did you know that the city of LA paid companies over $1 million dollars each for bids on the metro expansion? The city paid multiple companies to submit their bids for the job. The job these companies were competing for. It's like getting paid to apply for a job. The LA times reported on this last year. Most of the companies in question said they would have submitted their bids for free. Practices like this are unheard of in other cities.
Really? Source please?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I've voted for several tax increases over the past few years. I'm tired of paying so much, and seeing so little in return. Where is the money going?! Most likely into our corrupt officials' pockets. I wish I could trust that our city leaders truly have our best interests at heart, but I can't. I'm probably going to vote "no". I've finally had enough.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I've voted for several tax increases over the past few years. I'm tired of paying so much, and seeing so little in return. Where is the money going?! Most likely into our corrupt officials' pockets. I wish I could trust that our city leaders truly have our best interests at heart, but I can't. I'm probably going to vote "no". I've finally had enough.
In the next few years you'll start to see the results of Measure R. The Gold Line and Expo Line extensions will be done by 2016, the Purple Line, Regional Connector and Crenshaw Line will be UC with openings ranging between 2019 - 2025. The Orange Line extension was the first completed Measure R project, finished ahead of schedule and under budget.

It's fine to complain about inefficient taxes, but understand that Measure R ain't one of them. Also understand that Los Angeles is right now considered the gold standard for locally funding transit expansion in the US. We are doing this the right way, and we need to do it now. Traffic is only going to get worse and worse as the city continues to get more densely populated.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Measure R is different. LA has been on point with transit lately and I'll vote yes once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles