Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 12,639 times

Advertisements

I am a local citizen looking for a home in Anaverde in palmdale, Our builder Khovnanian says there is no section 8 allowed however is there any allowed? and how is the crime rate there compared to other areas? If you have any referrals or info on where i could get this info i would appreciate it greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 12:30 AM

5 posts, read 30,283 times
If you are unfamiliar with Section 8, subsidized housing, then you probably do not want to live in an area that accepts this government program to support low income tenants.
If you are moving from out of state, then there is an assumption that you already have a job in Palmdale, and the relocation company is guiding you. If you are just moving from another So Cal location - without employment, then it's probably a good idea to take time to research the neighborhood to see what the neighborhood looks like and if there are Section 8 landlords next door. I 'accidently' purchased a home in North Las Vegas as an investment, only to find out that just about all of my neighbors have rented out their investment units to Section 8 qualified tenants. Needless to say, my unit will be empty again next week as I search for yet another replacement tenant. Good luck to both of us.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 12,471 times
Your builder is wrong....to a point. Section 8 housing is "allowed" anywhere rentals are allowed. It is up to the individual landlord to decide whether or not they will accept section 8, but a community cannot ban section 8. That is discriminatory. In order to dissuade investors, the builders in Anaverde put a clause in their purchase contracts that stated the home must be owner-occupied for at least 18 months. So technically no renters were allowed in Anaverde for the first year and half, and that would include Section 8. It was up to the builders to enforce that, however, and they did not. So there are investors, renters, and yes, some Section 8 in Anaverde.

That said, Anaverde is a great place to live. While there are some Section 8 homes, the problems in the community are relatively few and are mostly limited to vandalism (teenagers), and crashed parties. It is a very quiet community and the majority of the people make wonderful neighbors.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
From the number of lower income people moving to Palmdale, I would say there is probably a good number of sec 8 units available. Unfortunately, a lot of property owners are skittish of sec 8 renters because while a decent number are very good tenants, there are too many that trash the places they live in.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 12,985 times
Exclamation About crime...

I am moving out to Anaverde myself this summer. I have looked at comparisons to Burbank & LA County. As far as overall crime is concerned, 93551 (Palmdale/Anaverde) has more of it than 91501 (Burbank), BUT, 93551 has less than LA County. The only thing that really bugged me is that reported Rape is highest in 93551 than 91501 or LA County. Ladies, make it a habit to not wander off by yourselves and you should be fine.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 12,133 times
I have a co-worker that occasionally car pools with me who lives in Anaverde.

I've personally seen two houses on her street go to cramp due to section 8 renters their yards are unkept and being a nuisance is their number 1 priority. Recently one of the section 8 renters moved out, the house was left full of trash and the blinds look as through someone had been swinging from them. I can't believe how such a great place to live is slowly being turned into a cess pool for low income housing. I can say there will be plenty of more Section 8 in Anaverde unless someone puts a stop to it soon!!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 11,331 times
hello everyone,
i am new to the area and have been looking extensively at purchasing a home in anaverde. can anyone tell me if anything has changed or if anything has gotten worse?
thank you in advance for any replies..
chaunce

Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
My uncle had rentals and allowed section 8. Each house was burnt to the ground by tenants.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
No such thing as a restriction due to Section 8...

Section 8 or Vouchers are good anywhere in the United States provided you have willing landlord, the unit meets Hud Housing Quality Standards and the voucher holder submits a request for lease approval...

About the only way to reduce Section 8 neighbors to live in a neighborhood without rental homes or in a neighborhood where landlords are unwilling to accept the rent Section 8 is offering.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,982 times
Well there is Section 8 everywhere and it does get a bad rap but Anaverde is a great place to live compared to other places. Im a person that takes a daily walk with my kids and my wife and trust me where i moved from that was not an option (Van Nuys) if your moving from Beverly Hills to Anaverde its a huge downgrade but come one think of where you live now and where you came from and this place is not bad when you can safely go out and walk, all your neighbors say hi, and yes there are some *******s out here but trust me they'll eventually leave because they cant pay the rent ..... thank GOD for HIgh School drop outs.. lol sorry that was mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles