U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamda View Post
tnx for the info. i'm thinking of moving in to this area and im getting all the info i can. is it something in particular i should be aware of? like crime rates etc?
Drive around. It's Van Nuys. What are you expecting? The location you are listing is one of the nicer areas, but you're a block down from Spearmint Rhino Strip club.

Van Nuys is heavily latino, def ghetto suburban. Crime rates aren't nearly as bad as they were 10 years ago, but property crime is still an issue.

The good news for that location is you can place Van Nuys on your perma-avoid list and do all your shopping and business in Sherman Oaks and Encino since you are close to those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 06:07 AM

8 posts, read 17,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Drive around. It's Van Nuys. What are you expecting? The location you are listing is one of the nicer areas, but you're a block down from Spearmint Rhino Strip club.

Van Nuys is heavily latino, def ghetto suburban. Crime rates aren't nearly as bad as they were 10 years ago, but property crime is still an issue.

The good news for that location is you can place Van Nuys on your perma-avoid list and do all your shopping and business in Sherman Oaks and Encino since you are close to those areas.

guess u r right tnx for the info

Old 02-14-2011, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,714 times
well i read an article about it on http://www.fastspotz.com

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 PM

100 posts, read 179,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Actually, not all areas of of van nuys are bad. The area you are asking about, if I recall, is sort of sketchy.

I agree with Miss Pip, Studio City is really nice.
Ahhhh, I got cha! Yep, you are a Californian cow hater. You used to post some good cow pictures though!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 PM

anyone has any suggestions to make about lemona avenue around 5850? appreciate it!

Old 12-23-2011, 11:11 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamda View Post
anyone has any suggestions to make about lemona avenue around 5850? appreciate it!
Answered the first time you asked, ten months ago.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 PM

258 posts, read 543,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
On the other side of Hazeltine you have the Chandler Estates with huge properties and new McMansions....
Back in 1992, Marlon Brando purchased Kris McNichol's former home off Wedington, for his last and final wife, an ugly, obese Mexican woman. Tom Selleck grew up in a large mansion style home on Weddington. His parents lived there for a long time. I used to paint curbs all over the Valley and met a lot of folks knocking on doors, for payment. Scotty, from Star Trek lived there. Tom Selleck says in many interviews that he grew up lower to middle class. Not true. His parents were wealthy Detroit real estate owners, then later wealthy Valley Landlords. Selleck grew up a priveleged life, and spoiled, on Weddington. A lot of wealthy Jewish media people live on Weddington now. I collected money from the Olsen twin's parents, Judge Wapner, Katherine Bach, right after she married her final husband who recently committed suicide. ( and many others ).

Last edited by Mr.Kurtz; 12-23-2011 at 11:50 PM..

Old 12-25-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Answered the first time you asked, ten months ago.
yes, you did john and i really appreciate it. thing is i am moving there within the first month of 2012. is there anything new with this neighborhood? any dos and donts i should be aware of? any places to have a good time there? (restaurants, clubs, gyms, recreation parks) any suggestions concerning my general well-being while i'll be living there?

thanks for your help guys

Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,279 times
Bought a lovely 1925 home in Van Nuys in 1991. We reached out to the neighborhood and were embraced. We beat back the gangs and we hope some day to beat back the negativity that people hold about Van Nuys. The potential for the Van Nuys Blvd. to be another Colorado Blvd. is there. And does anyone remember what Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena was like in the 70's? All it took was vision to turn it around.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM

258 posts, read 543,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess mather View Post
The potential for the Van Nuys Blvd. to be another Colorado Blvd. is there. And does anyone remember what Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena was like in the 70's? All it took was vision to turn it around.
I understand you and appreciate your vision and positive mindset ... However, that takes vision and a lot of money, and 100% American vision and ingenuity. The huge problem is Van Nuys is now almost 100% Mexican owned and occupied. The Colorado Blvd and most of Pasadena is still mostly American owned and operated. Van Nuys will always be what it is today, and for the last 25 years. Or since the mid 1980s. Hispanic or Mexican occupied. I think 95% of every business store front on Van Nuys Blvd is Hispanic - Mexican owned. So, your comparison of Colorado Blvd carries no merit.

My two cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles