U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:41 PM

636 posts, read 2,445,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo083 View Post
I agree that Van Nuys isn't exactly the best area. However, I really believe that Van Nuys is really starting to get better. I live off Hazeltine in southern Van Nuys. In the 8 months I have lived there, about half the houses in my neighborhood have been flipped and resold. The average house in my area is nowhere near run down. I feel perfectly safe walking around in my area at any time of day. Sure, there are homeless people around, but the ones I have met are harmless. One asked me if anything in my trash was clothing and I gave him a portable Keyboard I was planning on giving away (he seemed grateful).

The point is, there are good parts and bad parts. I think its growing because many places in this area of the Valley are really expensive and its roughly half the price by going 3 blocks north from Sherman Oaks into Van Nuys. And its not really all that different. In fact, theres even a very strong Orthodox Jewish Community in the area.

Yes, there are some good parts of VN. You live in one of the good areas.

The homeless population are in that area due to the Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys park to the south and the large recycling Center to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 04:11 AM

98 posts, read 478,412 times
The picture posted says it all... in terms of the good areas, stay south of Burbank. West of the airport is better than the areas east of it but not really that great either (it's on the levels of Reseda and Winnetka).

Old 12-20-2007, 01:12 PM

92 posts, read 383,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I wouldn't move to 14410 Valerio is someone paid me to live there. Valerio St Boys...gang....lots of drugs and crime. ALL hispanics there. That's just east of Van Nuys BLVD...basically on the corner. HORRIBLE.

Couldn't find Bressner. Could be Bessemer, and if it is, it would be a bit better I think.
We actually did go look at the apartment on Valerio street because my BF said it "couldn't hurt", but the people here were 100% correct. We were out of the car for about thirty seconds before my BF looked around and said "Okay, back in the car. We're outta here."

The apartment on Bessemer seemed better, but after reading the posts here we decided to avoid Van Nuys all together.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,224,806 times
Good choice!
Are you guys Cubs fans??? If so, even better choice!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Good choice!
Are you guys Cubs fans??? If so, even better choice!
My BF is a HUGE Cubs fan...how did you know?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,224,806 times
Lucky guess...I got my Cooperstown Cubs hat on, world series championship letterman jacket and a jersey on right now....

I bet I am a bigger fan...

Oh and in case you couldn't figure it out, I just saw your location was Chicago.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Lucky guess...I got my Cooperstown Cubs hat on, world series championship letterman jacket and a jersey on right now....

I bet I am a bigger fan...

Oh and in case you couldn't figure it out, I just saw your location was Chicago.
LOL, I just realized that. However, I am from the south side so, in theory, we should be Sox fans.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:19 AM

64 posts, read 283,114 times
Default The thing about LA is that it can change from block to block

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngonzal1 View Post
Just wondering? Is it safe? Seedy? Any input would be appreciated!

Excluding exclusive zip codes, there are so many neighborhoods in LA you really need to know the blocks. NoHo is moving upscale. The rest of North Hollywood....eh. Canoga Park, parts are icky, the nice parts are now called West Hills. Van Nuys has nice homes in various areas, Lake Balboa is now like West Hills, it's calling itself something different. Some of Reseda bordering on Tarzana, Encino, Lake Balboa are very nice, others are known locally as "Reseedy." You REALLY have to know the neighborhoods b/c general advice based just on snob appeal is often wrong.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:29 PM

330 posts, read 1,209,411 times
Question Family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleword View Post
i guess the questions should be......."Is there anything right with Van Nuys?"

unless i had family there i wouldnt recommend living there. but like most places, there are the good areas and bad areas, soo anything is possible but i wouldnt recommend it.

i love that picture, i was looking for "cheap" rent in the SFV and that picture about sums it up. i didnt even get out of the car, i just kept on driving. nice pic.

lol, u live in burbank. i had a friend who worked in van nuys and lived in burbank, he had just moved to van nuys to be closer to work so he could save some money on rent/gas, and after about a month of living in van nuys he couldnt waite for his lease to end and move back to burbank. be happy u live in burbank and not van nuys
Family?

Unless you have a family there, you wouldn't recommend living there? Is that what is keeping people in uindesirable living conditions? Their families? Is it a blessing or a curse? The Lord our God wants us to be the best we can be. If we can't do that here, it is time to get out. Cut the apron strings. Keep in touch by phones, email and annual airline plane tickets.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-14-2008 at 02:32 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 02:33 PM

330 posts, read 1,209,411 times
Question Snob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrala View Post
Excluding exclusive zip codes, there are so many neighborhoods in LA you really need to know the blocks. NoHo is moving upscale. The rest of North Hollywood....eh. Canoga Park, parts are icky, the nice parts are now called West Hills. Van Nuys has nice homes in various areas, Lake Balboa is now like West Hills, it's calling itself something different. Some of Reseda bordering on Tarzana, Encino, Lake Balboa are very nice, others are known locally as "Reseedy." You REALLY have to know the neighborhoods b/c general advice based just on snob appeal is often wrong.

Snob Factor. Snobbery is not appealling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles