U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,175 times

Advertisements

How is the area around sherman way. I was planning to live in a new condo there in between Van Nuys and Woodman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:42 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpo166 View Post
How is the area around sherman way. I was planning to live in a new condo there in between Van Nuys and Woodman.
Probably not fantastic.

One snapshot (not trend) indicator of a neighborhood is its school performance. This area is about a 2 out of 10.

California School Performance Maps

I google street viewed the area (and noticed $3.09 gas). Seemed busy but not horrible.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 AM

111 posts, read 430,259 times
I actually live at sherman way and woodman. dirty with a high population of hispanics? Yes......dangerous...NO!....most opinions are based upon what someone else said....snob appeal.....coming from someone who walks out into it everyday....its not that bad......if its considered trashy or ghetto cuz of all the mexicans...well then get the hell out of LA....cuz thats just LA in general....its not the greatest place to live, and Im not renewing my lease when its over but it is not an absolute ghetto dangerous sh*t hole that everyone says it is. Now take into consideration Im not a very picky very high maintance person.....however I personally do draw the line at only living in safe areas....if I want to walk to the store at midnight here or 1am well then I should be able to.....you can do that here...no prob... however other VN neighborhods.....like if were talking about by the van nuys high school area....then yes....thats bad....and would not recommend for even the least picky person such as myself...

Old 09-29-2008, 02:04 AM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Probably not fantastic.

One snapshot (not trend) indicator of a neighborhood is its school performance.
If that were the case than anywhere in San Francisco or anywhere in LAUSD would be undesirable, not to mention Rockridge and Claremont in Oakland (right next to the Berkeley border but still in the Oaktown).

School performance certainly raises property values (e.g. Santa Monica and Beverly Hills), but it's not the be all and end all

IMO, stay out of Van Nuys if at all possible. It has much deeper problems than merely bad schools. Although some of the southern parts of VN are passable....

Last edited by majoun; 09-29-2008 at 02:43 AM..

Old 09-29-2008, 05:32 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If that were the case than anywhere in ...LAUSD would be undesirable,
Not anywhere, categorically.

There are some good schools in LAUSD and probably most of them are decent neighborhoods (El Camino High, Pomelo Drive Elementary, Woodland Hills Elementary for example).

Last edited by Charles; 09-29-2008 at 05:55 AM..

Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 AM

419 posts, read 1,316,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not anywhere, categorically.

There are some good schools in LAUSD and probably most of them are decent neighborhoods (El Camino High, Pomelo Drive Elementary, Woodland Hills Elementary for example).
Charles, you know that LAUSD has only pockets of good schools. West Hills/Woodland Hills being a "pocket" that is very good all the way to 12th grade.

For the rest of LAUSD, sure, there are elementary schools here, magnets there - but kids only grow up, and the middle and high school level schools are by and large abysmal in LAUSD.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:06 AM

3 posts, read 11,633 times
Default Friar and Hazeltine

My friends and I are looking at renting a house on Friar and Hazeltine. It's _beautiful_ and the neighborhood is all little houses. We're not picky about living in a Hispanic/seedy neighborhood, but we do want to feel safe. We've lived in rough-and-tumble places before (Koreatown, Harlem) so we feel street smart enough, but does anyone know if this is a super dangerous part of town? Are we overestimating our abilities or underestimating the danger at all? Any help is much appreciated!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM

636 posts, read 2,445,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attackula View Post
My friends and I are looking at renting a house on Friar and Hazeltine. It's _beautiful_ and the neighborhood is all little houses. We're not picky about living in a Hispanic/seedy neighborhood, but we do want to feel safe. We've lived in rough-and-tumble places before (Koreatown, Harlem) so we feel street smart enough, but does anyone know if this is a super dangerous part of town? Are we overestimating our abilities or underestimating the danger at all? Any help is much appreciated!
No, not super dangerous.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:55 PM

7,840 posts, read 14,703,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attackula View Post
If you are used to Harlem, then it will not be much different. I don't believe its too bad of a neighborhood-definitely better and worse ones.

If you really like it drive through the area a couple times at different times of day and see if you feel comfortable. You WILL be surrounded by Hispanics though.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:25 AM

373 posts, read 1,085,878 times
van nuys isn't that bad. It looks a little run down, but it's not like J-Berg South Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles