Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 PM

130 posts, read 524,593 times

Advertisements

i guess the questions should be......."Is there anything right with Van Nuys?"

unless i had family there i wouldnt recommend living there. but like most places, there are the good areas and bad areas, soo anything is possible but i wouldnt recommend it.

i love that picture, i was looking for "cheap" rent in the SFV and that picture about sums it up. i didnt even get out of the car, i just kept on driving. nice pic.

lol, u live in burbank. i had a friend who worked in van nuys and lived in burbank, he had just moved to van nuys to be closer to work so he could save some money on rent/gas, and after about a month of living in van nuys he couldnt waite for his lease to end and move back to burbank. be happy u live in burbank and not van nuys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleword View Post
i guess the questions should be......."Is there anything right with Van Nuys?"
A few decent cheap Mexican restaurants and nothing else, unless you're into hard drugs. Which I'm not.

Van Nuys is basically South Central but if South Central had a few poor,angry, underclass whites as well as poor, angry, underclass blacks and poor, angry, underclass Latinos. Most of the population seems to have either just gotten out of prison or just came across the border. It's a good place to get shot. ):

Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Default If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
5. Every day those obnoxious street vendors with their corn would honk their bicycle horns at the precise moment when I'd be trying to take a nap (I moved to Sherman Oaks to get away from them, and now they're here, too! I can't win. ).
What were the street vendors selling? Ever buy anything from them?

I used to live in a neighborhood where a produce and fruit vendor came every two-three days. Yes, it was annoying to hear the WAAAA, WAAAA horn, but it sure was convenient to walk just outside to get my fruits and veggies. Kind of like a modern-day version of the push-cart vendors you see in movies of yesteryear's New York City or Chicago.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 12-08-2007 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: shpelling

Old 12-08-2007, 09:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Van Nuys 1991

Van Nuys 1986

Van Nuys 1979

Van Nuys 1970 (Busch Gardens - We used to hop the fence and sneak in there....)

Don Drysdale, Van Nuys High School (class of 1954) early 1950s

A rare photo, Koufax and Drysdale team up to change parts of a 2 1/2-ton truck at the U.S. Army Reserve Center in Van Nuys, in 1966 during their two weeks of active duty for training

Kids in Van Nuys 1962

Van Nuys Boulevard 1962

Lockheed plant (my dad worked here) and GM plant in Van Nuys around 1961

Van Nuys Boulevard 1955

Bob Waterfield, Los Angeles Rams, Van Nuys High & UCLA Grad

Budweiser Brewery under construction, 1953 at present day 405 & Roscoe, Van Nuys

Old 12-08-2007, 09:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Van Nuys was once considered a nice place. I use to live within a couple of miles from Van Nuys. Today is different--- if you like pawn shops, bars, urine stained buildings then Van Nuys is the place to go.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,175 times
Errmm, Hispanics, drugs, drunks, gangbangers, overly congested roads and a little overpopulated, row after rows of apartments with no end in sight. Whats there not to love about this place?

Old 12-09-2007, 08:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Van Nuys was once considered a nice place. I use to live within a couple of miles from Van Nuys. Today is different--- if you like pawn shops, bars, urine stained buildings then Van Nuys is the place to go.
The bars were there in the old days too. The difference is what happened to the neighborhood. It's like comparing the old blue collar neighborhoods of Detroit and Cleveland in the 1950s/60s when the factories were operating at full capacity to those same neighborhoods now turned into ghettos and the factories long shut down.

The "Cleveland with palm trees" remark is perceptive on many levels, Bob Hope probably meant it in terms of the Valley being plain, ugly, and dull but it's accurate in terms of the decline of functional blue collar neighborhoods to slums once the industries that form their financial base are gone.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Here are some photo sets I found of Van Nuys on Flickr. They do a pretty good job of showing the dichotomy of the area. However, the first set includes some photos of Studio City, which is not part of Van Nuys.

I don't spend much time in Van Nuys but had to go there for a court appearance not too long ago, and the area(s) I saw, mostly Van Nuys Blvd., weren't so bad. The streets were clean, the storefronts were full of retail establishments in contrast to being boarded up (and included both ethnic and standard American fare like fast food chains, banks, etc.), and bustling with traffic--pedestrian and vehicular. The area is obviously not what it use to be, but if this represents "ghetto" in LA, we sure do put the rest of the ghettos and slums of America to shame. At least our ghettos have long boulevards lined with nice palm trees. LOL

Built: Van Nuys, CA - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hereinvannuys/sets/72157602759538628/ - broken link)

Van Nuys, California on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brettlove/1418534549/ - broken link)

Valley Municipal Building (Valley City Hall) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brettlove/1419418896/in/photostream/ - broken link)

View from the courthouse on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brettlove/1418535341/in/photostream/ - broken link)

van nuys blvd on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyiris/403619363/ - broken link)

Looking towards Van Nuys HIgh School on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgroi/252189649/ - broken link)

Old 12-09-2007, 11:26 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
I have a friend who lives there and she can't wait to move out. She lives on a little secluded cul-de-sac off of Victory Blvd. She says she doesn't usually walk anywhere because the area is so scary. They've heard gunshots several times. Apartments everywhere and extremely rundown homes.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:37 PM

274 posts, read 320,284 times
Yuck. There are much nicer parts of town. Avoid Van Nuys at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles