Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge fan of classic TV, especially programs that show America (and life in California) in a more innocent light. One of my all-time faves is the last incarnation of "Dragnet" from the late 1960s, which unintentionally became one of the most stilted, dated, preachy and down-right cheesy TV series of all time. This was due, of course, to the undying seriousness by which creator / producer / actor Jack Webb approached his job. He sincerely believed that the LA Police Force was the greatest in the history of the world, and he set out to convince America's TV audience that policemen were their friends, not their enemies. And he largely succeeded.

Anyway, my question is this: What's the opinion of L.A. residents -- longtime or recent -- about this most quintessential L.A. television show? When you watch it today, does it make you melancholy for a city that no longer exists, or is it a false representation of a city that NEVER was like the one Webb showed the rest of the world?

And what about those over-the-top, Chamber-of-Commerce inspired opening monologues? You know ... the ones that go "This is the city ..." then go on to espouse how great and fantastic and perfect Los Angeles is, except for those dag gum criminals! Do they make you roll your eyes? Or do they make you feel warm and fuzzy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6LprmdivN8&hd=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Hippies had some really great laughs while toking up, whenever Detective Joe Friday would go on a deadly serious Reefer Madness-style rant about the evils of smoking pot.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
Actually, the last incarnation was in 2003 with Ed O'Neill as Friday. You can see the whole season (canceled) on hulu if you want!

The remake was done by the creator of the Law and Order series and it feels like a mix of the two shows. I love the old dragnets, especially the radio show which you can listen to for free online.

It's interesting to see them talk about how quickly LA was growing at that time. The episode on shoplifting teens in the SFV is my favorite.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:34 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,934 times
I remember my Mom talking about bringing out food to some of the cast and crew (in particular Ben Alexander) in the 50s when they were filming near our home near Central L.A.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:43 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
What shocking to me when watching 60s shows like Dragnet or Adam-12 is when they're driving around and you see the thick layer of yellow-brown, pre-emission controls smog on the horizon.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
What shocking to me when watching 60s shows like Dragnet or Adam-12 is when they're driving around and you see the thick layer of yellow-brown, pre-emission controls smog on the horizon.
I've noticed that too, especially on the Adam-12 episodes. Sometimes, you can't even see the horizon it's so smoggy.

This is the kind of over-the-top "chamber speak" I was talking about in the opening monologue:

"This is the city ... Los Angeles, California. With over 5,600 Little League baseball teams in the city, its youngsters have a love for the game. After 69 years in Brooklyn, the Dodger baseball team came west. They chose Los Angeles for their home, and became the first major league team on the West Coast. Their new stadium was built to accommodate 56,000 fans. In the first year in Dodger Stadium, 2 million 750,000 people watched the club play. Baseball is the sport of Americans. It teaches youngsters fair play. Sometimes they never seem to learn the lesson. When they don't, I go to work. I carry a badge."

Also, though I can't remember the exact words, one episode begins with an opening monologue extolling the "exclusive housing developments and wealth of Bel-Air and Beverly Hills. Homes here sell for over $100,000!"

Can you imagine?!

Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Jack Webb...sincerely believed that the LA Police Force was the greatest in the history of the world, and he set out to convince America's TV audience that policemen were their friends, not their enemies. And he largely succeeded.
Wasn't every institution, including the LAPD, more revered back then? It's kind of nice to look back at a period when established organizations were depicted with a little more respect on TV. (If this show was cheesy, that's okay, so was The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and a million other television shows of that time.)

Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wasn't every institution, including the LAPD, more revered back then? It's kind of nice to look back at a period when established organizations were depicted with a little more respect on TV. (If this show was cheesy, that's okay, so was The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and a million other television shows of that time.)
Maybe in the 1950s, but definitely not by the '60s. And wasn't Chief Parker notoriously corrupt?

And it's probably a good thing that Jack Webb died in 1982. He was no doubt rolling over in his grave during Rodney King and OJ Simpson.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:56 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Loved Dragnet, Adam-12, Emergency, Police Woman, SWAT and Police Story as a youngster, growing up.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And wasn't Chief Parker notoriously corrupt?
Just the exact opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles