Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:08 PM

367 posts, read 673,200 times

Advertisements

Lots of older Koreans literally dont give a **** about any other group of people aside from Koreans. The older generation can be very territorial, elitist, and exclusive.

That's totally not the case for the younger kids though. Lots of them are big into hip hop/streetwear culture, especially the ones that grew up around KTown. My Korean friends are probably the most post-racial people I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
Lots of older Koreans literally dont give a **** about any other group of people aside from Koreans. The older generation can be very territorial, elitist, and exclusive.
Lots of older people literally dont give a **** about any other group of people aside from themselves. The older generation can be very territorial, elitist, and exclusive.

Fixed that for ya.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I do get double takes in K-town because it is obvious I look different. Older Korean women will have no issue staring very hard lol.
I am only responding to the latter portion of your comment and have no intention of discrediting your experience. It's not really too difficult a phenomenon to explain. Walk into a Glendale coffee shop, the Armenians will stare at you. If a white dude walks into a barbershop in South LA, all eyes will be on him. If an Asian woman walks into a beauty supply store in East LA, she will get stares. When you live in a place with very little diversity and diversity comes walking through the front door, it is pretty hard not to notice.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I am only responding to the latter portion of your comment and have no intention of discrediting your experience. It's not really too difficult a phenomenon to explain. Walk into a Glendale coffee shop, the Armenians will stare at you. If a white dude walks into a barbershop in South LA, all eyes will be on him. If an Asian woman walks into a beauty supply store in East LA, she will get stares. When you live in a place with very little diversity and diversity comes walking through the front door, it is pretty hard not to notice.
Even in LA? I live in a very multicultural city, Melbourne. I eat pho at Vietnamese restaurants, eat in African restaurants that are full of Africans, go to continental grocery shops, Indian stores and restaurants, Korean supermarkets, Mexican restaurants...etc...sure I might get noticed, but most have been very friendly and welcoming overall.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I live in a very multicultural city, Melbourne.
LA has neighborhoods that are very racially segregated. Not the majority of them, but enough to turn some heads.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
What you say is true, but I would say this was even worse in Korea town of the 80s and early 90s.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:32 PM

311 posts, read 492,941 times
From personal experience, although you can't really tell on the surface, there are still tensions beneath the surface amongst the races and income levels here.

Part of the problem is that no one trust each other IMO.

Last edited by Moreau36; 04-19-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles