U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 AM

9 posts, read 27,858 times

Advertisements

c'mon, wouldn't u like to do something? what happened to local neighborhood watches... pressure on the local authorities, hiring more policemen, trying to physically clean up the streets ( u know Giuliani style)... if not cleaning up crime, at least u'll have a clean street to walk on.. !! (i forget that Angelenos don't walk!!!)

i've been reading too much of http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/homicidereport/ and getting scared...
bcos of my job, i often end up taking the bus to very bad industrial areas.. it's fine in the day, but i worry abt taking the bus back at night. i've decided to take the longer but safer route home (rather than waiting on jefferson blvd at night), but even then the bus stop has no lights n in a very deserted area n even the pple on the bus were pretty scary yesterday.. help!!

anyone else have personal tales of paranoia abt taking public transport to tell? or abt safety in general? or what you suggest to change the situation here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 AM

705 posts, read 3,083,036 times
Thats one thing I always try to figure out myself. Ive gone to downtown and helped out the homeless before. Im not saying they are the reason for crime but theres a church on 5th and San Pedro that feeds the homeless and Ive gone to help out. Its really teaches you that becomming homeless is not always because of drugs and alcohol but it can happen to anybody today or tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:32 AM

4,115 posts, read 10,372,133 times
A lot of people do things to help. It isn't enough.

I taught and counseled in LAUSD in the inner-city for 16.5 years. I would still be there if DH hadn't wanted to move us out of LA.

Dawn

Old 12-08-2007, 05:06 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,002 times
I think the real changes can start right in everyone's household. vandalism, grafitti, gangs etc all stem from problems and lack of supervision at home.

once again, if you cant afford the cost and time to have kids you shouldnt have them.

I always walk the neighborhood and pick up trash. generally, i think that i am the only one that does. my neighbors will walk right by trash in the street most of the time. Once I stopped my car, picked up a bottle in the gutter and tossed into a neighbors bin. They were standing there, in front of their home, watching as though I just did 3 backflips. It was a bottle from one of their landscapers.

I saw some guys spray painting a canvas at a construction site once at 2am , turned around and chased them throughout west la, called the cops and they wouldnt assist. spent 1/2 hour driving around palisades into brentwood west la etc. ended up letting them go, never got a follow up from the police even though I could have id them and had their plate #.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:46 PM

38 posts, read 137,671 times
two parent households would cure many of the gang problems.The majority of these kids are raised by single mothers in poor areas of town.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:56 AM

33 posts, read 111,341 times
Default moved from LA

A small part of the problem is gangs but the most painful issue is people -middle class, upper, and lower income don't care if you live or die /wish you were dead. The hope for the city lies in people who move in and want to make a sincere go at being happy here.

my reason for leaving:
Age 23 dumpster falls off a truck on the 134
I hit the dumpster and am hit by a car going 55mph.
The police officer decided it was my fault. I went to court proved the police wrong. Still owed the man who hit me. Insurance went up 400%. Man never filled out paperwork to say he was paid. Credit rating tanked.

Age 25 attacked by 2 pitbulls while walking my dog. Man who let go of the leash claimed the dog was tied to a tree. I complained to park staff. "Nothing to do about it"

Age 26 A mother and 3 children were crushed in a black compact car when a truck rolled over on top of them. Road was cleared when I passed by 15 mins later. Car remained on side of road.

Affluent woman hits my car flees accident and claims I was trying to rob her when I asked for her lic. /registration.

Police helicopter flies over my house causing my house to rattle / Airforce practices Edwards to LA run again over my house. Bought light blocking shades to avoid spot light. Asked police to stop. They said, They "had good reason for being there." Keeping me awake all hours so I could be tired at work?

Tornado over the 5S / Torrential rain - 3-4 hour commute thru puddles. Lose my job for being late. Learn rapist was stalking bathrms at LAX. Police kept secret for years in hopes of catching him in the act.

Age 27 went shopping at Costco with newborn fell down on rocks, dropped baby on rocks, broke ankle. No one came to help me. I had to drag baby and me to my car.

5 fwy north litter of puppies dumped intentionally on the road.

Age 28 Neighbor accuses me of stealing her 8 year old's bike. My child is 4 months???? She then calls Humane society claimimng my indoor dogs are being abused.

Ok so who was a gang member??? Don't get me started on the emergency room situation. Oh I'm 100lbs, 5'0 tall, and caucasian.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:05 AM

274 posts, read 257,353 times
Los Angeles lacks civic pride.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:14 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
c'mon, wouldn't u like to do something? what happened to local neighborhood watches... pressure on the local authorities, hiring more policemen, trying to physically clean up the streets ( u know Giuliani style)... what you suggest to change the situation here?
I think a lot of people feel it's a lot easier to not fight those battles and go elsewhere.

It's like the joke "You might be an engineer if you try to fix a $5 radio."

It's just not worth it.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 AM

27,075 posts, read 54,279,688 times
Default Some of us are doing something about crime in CA

I responded to a 1:30 am alarm at the facility where I work and found a intruder had gone through about 7 locked offices and was in the CEO's office when I surprised him.

I chased him through the building and down the street where he ran into a wooded area. I called 911 as I was in pursuit. PD responded and gave the guy 1 chance to come out before they sent in the police dog.

Dog found him in less than a minute.

The guy summoned "ME" to appear at a hearing because he said the police used excessive force sending in the dog.

Anyway, it was the guys third strike and he should be locked up for some time and the case against the police was dismissed.

Some of us are doing something about crime in CA.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:38 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,196,073 times
My husband thinks I'm going to get shot for all I do to help combat criminality in our nieghborhood, particularly when I'm removing graffiti. I joined the Targeted Neighborhood Initative several years ago, then Neighorhood Watch so that instead of just complaining, I could be complaining and actually doing something about our plethora of problems. How sad that I've had to become expert on local gangs just to survive in our own area.

But our local and L.A.-knowledgeable posters are right, it's like sweeping back the ocean. My involvement doesn't doesn't change the fact that we'll move the nanosecond my husband retires. L.A. is too problematic for us low-to-moderate income types.

In the meantime, anyone reading this forum needs to know that if you want to report something that's not an emergency (graffiti, trash, illegal dwellings, any sort of nuisance,) you don't need to plow through a directory, tear out your hair at the 1,000's of listings or use a divining rod to find the exact local government agency to call. Instead, just dial the three digits 311, and a city gov't. operator will figure out which specific department you need, and connect you. Even the L.A. city gov't conceded that the departments were too Byzantine for ordinary civilians to fathom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or